Nomad XT rigging/adjustments feedback appreciated

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually it is a bit diff. On the Hollis the tank band and valve are secured to the BC using nylon cord on bolt snaps, then around the midsection of the tank is a true bungie on a boltsnap as well however the line is elastic as opposed the valve and tank band which is nylon and NOT elastic

Incorrect. The Hollis system and DiveRite systems use the same bungees. The difference is the Hollis bungees are longer than the Dive Rite bungees, which is not necessarily a good thing. I'm not sure what you mean by the last part of your statement, but on the surface, it also sounds incorrect.

FWIW, while I do dive a Nomad, I have done several dives in a Hollis SMS100, as well as other sidemount systems. I have also taught dozens of students in various sidemount systems and helped them customize their rigs, including the Nomad, SMS100, Recon, and homemade systems.

Not incorrect at all, first I just bought one... Diving someone elses and owning one are two diff things. You don't know what was done with them unless you bought it n pulled it out of it's bag.

Second, the truth of what I say is spelled out clearly in the owners guide in pretty pictures....http://www.hollisgear.com/pdf/SMS100HarnessGuide_12-4056.pdf

"I'm not sure what you mean by the last part of your statement, but on the surface, it also sounds incorrect." ie neck and cam bands DO NOT use bungies, they use nylon cord supplied with the rig along with the snap bolts....a little less hubris would be nice.

Not incorrect at all, first I just bought one... Diving someone elses and owning one are two diff things. You don't know what was done with them unless you bought it n pulled it out of it's bag.

Second, the truth of what I say is spelled out clearly in the owners guide in pretty pictures....http://www.hollisgear.com/pdf/SMS100HarnessGuide_12-4056.pdf

"I'm not sure what you mean by the last part of your statement, but on the surface, it also sounds incorrect." ie neck and cam bands DO NOT use bungies, they use nylon cord supplied with the rig along with the snap bolts....a little less hubris would be nice.

Not sure what you're getting at here ... the "pretty pictures" show that the SMS system is rigged exactly like the Nomad ... just like Rob said. The bungees he's referring to are Item 9 on page 6. I think the nylon cord you're talking about are that's attached to the tanks, shown on page 8. Those are completely different things.

If you look at the picture of the diver on page 9 you will see the bungee coming down across the top of the wing and connecting to the neck of the cylinder ... not around the mid-section of the cylinder, as you claimed above. This bungee serves a different purpose than the bolt snaps on nylon string that you're referring to ... it's what snugs the top of the cylinders into position and holds them close underneath your armpits.

Have you taken a class yet? If not, I can recommend an excellent instructor in Marianna, Florida. He dives sidemount every day, and I found him to be pretty knowledgeable not just in sidemount techniques, but also in terms of understanding the pros and cons of the various commercially-available sidemount systems ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

How about looking at the rig at DEMA and talking to Nick Hollis and John Conway (a Hollis sales rep) about the rig with it right in front of us. Does that count? I have pulled many Hollis SMS100s out of their bags. Just because I don't own one doesn't mean I don't know the system.

You're right, and it shows the exact same style bungees as what Dive Rite uses.

I never said they use bungees. Not sure where you got that from.
My statements aren't meant to come across as snobbish. I'm simply passing along correct information in response to incorrect statements you have made. In response to this statement by me:

It is the same. They are not supposed to route any particular way. The way most people route them is around the valves not the neck. But even around the neck, the bolt snap will push the top of the cylinder away from your body. I've done it both ways. The loops have proven to be the best way, for me.

You responded with this:

Actually it is a bit diff. On the Hollis the tank band and valve are secured to the BC using nylon cord on bolt snaps, then around the midsection of the tank is a true bungie on a boltsnap as well however the line is elastic as opposed the valve and tank band which is nylon and NOT elastic

I never made a reference to the lines one the valve and tank band. I have been talking about nothing but the bungee system that is used to hold the cylinders up at the valve. You are the one who said it is different, when, in fact, it is not.

Page 8 shows nylon cord on the neck and cam bands, the bungee according to Hollis own info is to pull the tanks int the body if they are on a nylon cord attChed to a d-ring there is little utility in wrapping a bungee around them as the ss snap and d-ring is a fixed length

Last edited:
Oh man ... you're gonna feel so foolish when you finally get a chance to dive that rig and figure out how it really works ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

On the Hollis the tank band and valve are secured to the BC using nylon cord on bolt snaps,
That is correct. And, as you mentioned in a later post, the line used for both the top and bottom attachment points is static line, not bungee cord. But, just for the sake of accuracy, this same system can be used with the Dive Rite Nomad. It really isn't exclusive to the Hollis system.
. . .then around the midsection of the tank is a true bungie on a boltsnap as well
I am a little confused by this statement. I have some passing familarity with the Hollis rig, and even more with (at least one of) the people (one of whom I trained with) who consulted with Hollis in the design of the sytem. I am not aware of a bungee that goes around 'the midsection' of the tank. In fact, the manual link you provided does not indicate any such bungee. On Page 9, for example, I don't see a bungee around 'the midsection' of the tank. What I do see is a bungee running from the (manual-recommended) top, back D-ring of the rig, around the tank valve. The bungees - which really are, as Dive-aholic said, essentially the same as those used with the Dive Rite Nomad (with the exception of the Ring Bungee that Dive Rite now also markets, which is different) - are wrapped around the valve of the tank to pull it in close to the body.
Page 8 shows nylon cord on the neck and cam bands, the bungee according to Hollis own info is to pull the tanks int the body if they are on a nylon cord attChed to a d-ring
I dive this confirguration, and the bungees do, indeed pull the tank neck / valve into the body.
there is little utility in wrapping a bungee around them as the ss snap and d-ring is a fixed length
No, this is not the case. I can assure you that, even when using the static line attachment approach outlined in the Hollis manual, you will still want to use a bungee to pull the tank neck in close to the body.

In saying that the systems are different are you, perhaps, referring to one of the orgnal Dive Rite approaches, which includes 1) a standard deco rigging kit on the tank, and a choker which pulls the top bolt snap in very close to the valve, after which the bolt snap can then be attached to the bungee running under the arm, rather than to a D-ring on the chest/shoulder strap? One of the criticisms of that configuration is that - out of the water - it puts a lot of weight and stress on the bungee. Dive Rite addressed part of that concern with the introduction of the Ring Bungee, which includes a length of static line between the ring and the front bolt snap.

This is just a suggestion, and you are free to choose to ignore it, but posters like Dive-aholic do seem to have a considerable body of experience with sidemount rigging, and their comments are usually worth consdering as potentially useful information, not simply as hubris. The beauty of sidemount is that it is still very much a DIY pursuit. That leaves a lot of room for the development of differing approaches to how you configure your gear. You don't have to agree with everything that another diver says. But, you might want to consider it as another piece of the puzzle.

Just did a sidemount class using the Hollis SMS 100 last week. There was a bolt snap on cord around the valve that snapped into a d ring on the front of the harness. The bungees stretch around the valve and also clipped into a d ring on the front of the harness. There was no bungee going around the midsection of the tanks.

Just did a sidemount class using the Hollis SMS 100 last week. There was a bolt snap on cord around the valve that snapped into a d ring on the front of the harness. The bungees stretch around the valve and also clipped into a d ring on the front of the harness. There was no bungee going around the midsection of the tanks.

Do you mean that you had a bungee + a static cord to secure the valve in the arm pit and then another bolt snap + cam band to secure the bottom of the tank to the hips?

Why is it necessary to have two cords (bungee and static) for the valve?

Why is it necessary to have two cords (bungee and static) for the valve?
the static cord on the valve supports the weight of the tank while out of the water, and provides a backup should the bungee slip off or come undone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom