No Market For Tech?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I seriously doubt you'd have the guts to say that to his face :lotsalove: :popcorn:
I have told him what was on my mind to his face. I am sure that he can read this as anyone else can. I also do not hide behind a pseudonym on the internet. My screen name is my name and my avatar is my picture.

I for one have found him face to face to be an exceedingly unpleasant foul-mouthed oaf. I haven't used those words to him but I'd be quite prepared to, if I were unfortunate enough to find myself near him again.

I have told him what was on my mind to his face. I am sure that he can read this as anyone else can. I also do not hide behind a pseudonym on the internet. My screen name is my name and my avatar is my picture.

Are you saying I'm hiding behind a screen name?? That's funny Dale.

I for one have found him face to face to be an exceedingly unpleasant foul-mouthed oaf. I haven't used those words to him but I'd be quite prepared to, if I were unfortunate enough to find myself near him again.

You had the chance, what stopped you then?

Perhaps you both could summarize your contributions to world of technical diving? Maybe you have something to say besides sniping at George on a forum where you know he doesn't participate.

Are you saying I'm hiding behind a screen name?? That's funny Dale.

Perhaps you both could summarize your contributions to world of technical diving? Maybe you have something to say besides sniping at George on a forum where you know he doesn't participate.

Well, I'm really sorry that I have started this. We did have the politics for too long on too many discussion boards. But at least now we know where everybody stands – brain-dead or not.

Let the dead souls (sorry, let me rephrase this to let the retired souls) rest in peace, but let them rest!!!

I was completely taken aback and lost for words. It was during a "side" conference at a DEMA, and George and Tom Mount were both present and official speakers, as were other noted tech divers like Hal Watts, Brett Gilliam and Kevin Gurr.

Some point cropped up and Tom Mount said his piece on it, but was interrupted by foul language shouted across the table by George Irvine. I had heard that they weren't exactly bosom pals, but this behaviour was really quite extraordinary. I'm only sorry that because George is known for this sort of language nothing was done - I would have thrown him out. It was hardly appropriate for me to say anything. Tom Mount was remarkably restrained, given that he was the object of the invective.

George Irvine is a very unpleasant person, and I have absolutely no admiration for him or his exploits.

I believe that you will find tech diving is alive and well where tech diving is available locally. Here in my little part of the Great Lakes world we have a small but very enthusiastic bunch of tech divers. That is because we have great deep diving just a few miles off shore.

Would I travel to far off remote locations with all of the logistic problems to do deep dark technical dives? Probably not to often. Well, I did travel to north Florida last year and I'm doing it again this year, maybe cave diving is the exception. But I'm sure the cost of fuel and travel is hurting remote locations.

As far as the detail, the calculations, etc. That is part of the draw of technical diving to me. Not for everyone, but neither is tech diving. I think you will find that those who are drawn to tech diving are into detail and prefer that type of instruction over the no mental challenge type of entry level training.

You have to hear this. I returned to Manzanillo between Vallarta and Acapulco, Mexico. Before I left I was getting "use to" diving my doubles by going out with Mariano and some divemasters with Nautilus a local "PADI dive training center".

They work out of one of the local resorts and do tours so I just payed the $85 dollars and used my gear. Hoping if anything went wrong I was with qualified instructors and divemasters. I did a quick Nitrox course with then and when I went to pick up my temporary card. I got telling them about my IDA-71 mCCR conversion and interest in Tech. The owner Jorje must of thought it was interesting.

I returned from St. Thomas (via Dallas) and he has since done some MEG training and purchased 4 sets of doubles and gear. He is now doing Tech training along with instructor training at his school with IANTD. So I'll be training with Jorje on Tech starting Tuesday while I finish my instructors and wait for my IE.

Market for Tech - I mentioned this to Jorje. He is busy with this school, just recieved his five stars and is building it slowly, the thing is - he's bored. Diving Manzanillo all his life he doesn't want to get into the water. So he's going Tech. (He says about 2% of his students are interested).

He was saying that in '59 a hurricane came through and sank seven ships off the coast here. Nobody has yet dove them as I understand. We are contacting the Harbor Authority and the Navy to find locations. The hope is at least one or two are in 150'-300' of sea water. After our training we are going to go find these and hopefully people will be able to dive these for $200-300 just bring fins, and mask. (Airfare to Manzanillo $600 from LA - direct flight OR Four nights at an all inclusive Resort plus airfare $1291)

So how about this for things working out, fingers crossed. If we find these ships and they are within 2-3 hours of shore and within reasonable depths - plan a long weekend about three months from now with a couple of your buddies and come to Manzanillo for two days of Tech diving - four nights hotel at an All Inclusive resort (Karmina Palace) with airfare for less than $2000. Jorje will supply boat, double 80's, stage tanks, (Backplate, Wing, Reg if needed), classroom. For the first while (3-6 months) these expeditions will be with an IANTD instructor - I presume - until a divemaster can get trained up. If Instruction is needed book to attend the IANTD course and spend some extra time.

Book through me and I'll be joining you thats for sure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom