No Market For Tech?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have several south Texas off-shore rigs that are technical deep dives to 300fsw....deep, dark and always risky.

It's a niche market for sure but now that I've gotten into it I see there is a LOT of tech diving out here in the Northeast. Not all of it is the deep crazy stuff either. Lots of sub-150 foot basic tech stuff going on. I joined a new dive club and we've got wreck trips planned almost every weekend. I've never done so much local diving since I started out 5 years ago. With the economy the way it is, fuel, airline fees etc. I'd rather spend $200.00 on a weekend to go on a cool wreck. Heck one 3K tropical trip I could do 15 Northeast wreck trips. That's excluding all the extra tech gear I bought but with the economy the way it is regarding travel it's not all the expensive when you start comparing it to lengthy trips. Off course I haven't done Trimix yet or moved to a rebreather :)

Technical diving is currently the only segment in the sport which is really growing – some reports I have seen say it is growing by roughly 10 percent annually. However, since most training agencies keep their numbers confidential, there is no way of really knowing. I have heard estimates that technical divers represent from 2 to 5 percent of all divers. However, it was not clear if this includes any basic Nitrox certification. My best guess would be that tech-diving is around 3 to 3.5 percent.

Another indication that is a growing segment of the diving industry: Oceanic just came out with a tech-line, Great Outdoors joined Dive Rite and OMS and is still kicking, and Salvo opened its doors next to Halcyon. Well, George went into retirement, but I’m not sure if this is an indication of the health of the industry.

Well, George went into retirement, but I’m not sure if this is an indication of the health of the industry.

George is no longer leading dives in the WKPP but he's far from "retired" from diving.

George is no longer leading dives in the WKPP but he's far from "retired" from diving.
At least he's keeping quiet.

BBurns, dude you're local, you're in So Cal, please don't tell me you cant find anyone here to go diving with... you need buddies, you need classes, send me a PM Ill hook you up.

I'm blanking on a first name, we may know each other, were you at PF Changs on Cinco de Mayo for a buddies birthday?

I seriously doubt you'd have the guts to say that to his face :lotsalove: :popcorn:

Well he did stop spouting off on the internet so I'm sure someone stuffed a sock in his mouth :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom