"Nitrox Ready" Regulator Data Point

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stone

Contributor
Reaction score
We live in Valparaiso, FL and dive out of Destin,
I was talking to a Genesis/Sherwood rep the other day and learned 2 things:

1) All Genesis regs come "O2 compatible" from the factory (They are lubed with Christolube 111). I forgot to ask about o-rings, but o-ring material isn't a combustion problem, just a deterioration issue that may not even matter if the reg is serviced annually.

2) The Genesis Titanium uses monel parts (not titanium) where high pressure and FO2 are a problem.

As far as I know, Genesis doesn't make a big deal of this, while some other regulator brands go to the trouble to market regs that are green and yellow and say "Nitrox" right on 'em.

Genesis regs as far as I know (I'm a dealer but they don't tell me everything) are ok for up to EANx40. They sell o-ring kits for the sherwoods. Most would agree that below 40% (or so) it shouldn't matter but some manufacturers are afraid. Or just want to sell more stuff.

Did your rep say O2 compatable or nitrox compatable?

The phrase you really need to hear is "Ready for oxygen service."

“O2 compatible” or “O2 clean” mean nothing on thier own. Gas suppliers know this, but the distinction is lost on most dive shops.

O2 compatible means that all components used in the manufacture of the device can tolerate a pure O2 atmosphere, but implies nothing about the O2 cleanliness of the device. O2 clean is the flip side; it means that they’re no hydrocarbons in the device, but it says nothing about how compatible its components are in an O2 atmosphere.

“Ready for Oxygen service” means that the device is BOTH O2 clean AND uses O2 compatible components.

Sooner or later dive shops will figure out what’s going on, but I’m not holding my breath.

Roak

roakey,

I used the term I meant to use and I know the difference. While some shops may not have a clue, those of us that have mix available and teach blending are well on our way to having at least the main points figure out. Most (or at least many) manufacturers want no part of mixtures over 40% O2. My question is do they sanction the use of their regs with over 40% O2 ever (read- with or without cleaning or o-ring changes).

Mike

Originally posted by MikeFerrara
I used the term I meant to use and I know the difference.
Mike,

I wasn't replying to you, I was replying to Stone. But not only to Stone, but also to others reading this that may not know the correct terminology. Nothing wrong without knowing the correct terminology, we were all there at one time. It’s the shops that hold themselves up as experts “You don’t want to buy life support equipment from the net, only us!” and then don’t know JS about what they’re talking about that works me into a lather.

It’s gotten to the point that my basic operating assumption when dealing with shops and by extension in this note, an equipment rep is that in many cases they don’t know what they’re talking about, they just know the buzzwords in order to make a sale. I wanted Stone to know the exact phrase to ask the rep if the rep continued to claim their reg was “O2 compatible.”

They’re a heck of a lot more people reading than writing these notes, and many times I try to include them in my replies, which is why sometimes I answer under the person’s level of expertise. Heck, a great example of replying to all the readers is found in http://www.scubaboard.com/t7444/s.html where I don’t really add anything to the discussion, I just pull everything that was posted into one reply. In that particular note I was getting context whiplash myself trying to keep the valve adapters, the reg adapters and the reg conversions straight, and I decided that someone that didn’t understand the topic already could easily get lost, hence my post.

Roak

Stone, if the high end Genesis has oxy compatible grease and monel parts I wouldn't hesitate to use it for oxygen service. A lot is made of O2 "clean" but I think the whole scene is overblown(pun?). Documented regulator fires are rare and seem to involve first stages which were packed with silicone grease.

Back
Top Bottom