Nitrox Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, you can do a nitrox dive for AOW, but it does not include certification.

IC, what you mean. I almost always add the entire EANx course to AOW. The difference between doing one EANx dive vs the entire course in the time it takes to do AOW to me is insignificant.

You can do the nitrox course as part of the OW course as well if you wish.. You probably dont though and you probably dont even know what nitrox IS when doing the OW course :p

The shop I just started working for offers OW, Nitrox and Drysuit as a single class for those who want to take it ... but personally I don't think you'll get significant benefit out of nitrox until you get your breathing rate down to the point where NDL becomes the limiting factor for your dives. For most new divers that tends to take some post OW diving.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

So how about I could have been able to buy the books, pamphlets really, and the tables I needed, walk in, take / pass the written test. Cal and use an O2 analyzer. How much should that cost?

---------- Post added March 19th, 2014 at 12:16 PM ----------

How much should it cost you ask?
about the same as if you attended the class..no difference...Here we have student complete elearning for nitrox,they pay PADI for access to elearning and assign us as their facility ..once completed they call us for an appointment and we admininister nitrox quick review,go over any wrong answers, show how to analyze gas,log information,make sure they know how to set up their dive computer and they are done. It cost the student nothing after paying PADI for the access.

Yeah, 3 hours I know! I could hardly stay awake. What a waste of time and money.
I do not know what your instructor covered , but if it was a few years ago PADI course involved calculations and using RDP, equiv air depth,nitrox tables,o2 limits table. Now its all computer diving. Less chance of someone making mistakes.

Especially in conditions that require a drysuit..

However, if the nitrox course is taught properly you do get some good additional information on diving and gases and when youll have a benefit of using nitrox, you can get it with no additional classes - for better or worse..

I have to admit I have been a little baffled by some of this thread. Early on, I mentioned that the OP could find a course just a few miles up the road for half the price stated in the opening post. That seems to have been ignored. I just went back to Google and checked out about 5 Miami shops to see what their nitrox classes cost. I did not find a single one that was charging close to $250, let alone $250-$300. Most were more expensive than could be found a few miles in either direction from Miami, but I could not find a single one as expensive as it says here. One of the 5 I checked charged $145.

---------- Post added March 18th, 2014 at 07:24 PM ----------

Google will find it for you in seconds. Make sure you understand how much extra the local instruction charges above that $129.

I'm sorry that it appears that I have ignored the shop in pompano, but that is a bit of a drive. I will continue to search, but the cheapest so far,without adding to another specialty, is $220. If you could supply me with the shop that charged $145 I would greatly appreciate it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had no problem staying awake and didn't consider it a waste of time or money at all. Looking back now, yes, the information is pretty trivial with the diving experience I have since then. But, at the time, I really didn't know much about things like oxygen toxicity, and learned it in that class.

If I am not mistaken, now you can do the nitrox coursework online (for PADI) and then go to the LDS for hands on instruction analyzing tanks.

That's my point! By the time I finished my basic scuba diving course back in 1968 we had learned about PP, O2 tox, all the gas laws and nitrox hadn't even been invented yet! The reason nitrox is a rip off is because the rip off starts with inadequate training at OW.

nv:
I'm sorry that it appears that I have ignored the shop in pompano, but that is a bit of a drive. I will continue to search, but the cheapest so far,without adding to another specialty, is $220. If you could supply me with the shop that charged $145 I would greatly appreciate it.
PM sent.

I do not know what your instructor covered , but if it was a few years ago PADI course involved calculations and using RDP, equiv air depth,nitrox tables,o2 limits table. Now its all computer diving. Less chance of someone making mistakes.

Yeah, well when I use 28% or some non-typical mix I use the tables and formulas as a cross check on my PDC. Any diver that puts much faith in a PDC is overconfident of technology IMO.

guzy7ugu.jpg

A buddy I dive with recommended a local shop to offer the nitrox at the add-on specialty price of $99.00

Halfway thru it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom