Nitrox Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spoke with @LowVizWiz, local instructor, mentioned he does the course for $100.

If you do the TDI on line version I charge an additional 35.00 to come to me and do the hands on. That basically covers what it costs me to get the card and a couple tanks of nitrox for the diver to analyze. I also like the TDI course as it goes into much more detail and actually goes over calculating MODs, best mix, END's, etc. The set your computer for 32 or 36 and go is BS and waste of time and money.

---------- Post added March 18th, 2014 at 04:47 PM ----------

If you come to me for the whole TDI course in person it's 135.00 and no dives. If we do the SEI version that covers the same academics it's 185 and that includes two dives.

Don't rule out the dives if they're offered optionally. If you've been doing a bunch of diving in the area and then take the course and do a similar dive, a big grin will come over your face when you actually experience having more no-deco time than you were accustomed to. It's just numbers up until the moment when you realize your dive already would have ended but for Nitrox. Then the numbers suddenly hit home. Maybe that's why the agencies used to require the dive--so the instructor could see the student's grin! :D

I offer the dives and supply two tanks of nitrox for $150. My costs for the class are about $80 between the student materials and c-card ... so it's not exactly a money maker for me. On the other hand, I'll always take an excuse to go diving ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If you do the TDI on line version I charge an additional 35.00 to come to me and do the hands on. That basically covers what it costs me to get the card and a couple tanks of nitrox for the diver to analyze. I also like the TDI course as it goes into much more detail and actually goes over calculating MODs, best mix, END's, etc. The set your computer for 32 or 36 and go is BS and waste of time and money.

---------- Post added March 18th, 2014 at 04:47 PM ----------

If you come to me for the whole TDI course in person it's 135.00 and no dives. If we do the SEI version that covers the same academics it's 185 and that includes two dives.

I have looked into the TDI online course and it costs $129.00, just need to find a TDI shop here in Miami. The majority are PADI, SSI.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nv:
I have been diving for quite some time now and would like to get nitrox cert, but I would like to know why it costs so much and why there are dives required?

A few LDS' will add on the Nitrox for $100 if I am doing a separate specialty, but charge $250-$300 if I am not.

I have to admit I have been a little baffled by some of this thread. Early on, I mentioned that the OP could find a course just a few miles up the road for half the price stated in the opening post. That seems to have been ignored. I just went back to Google and checked out about 5 Miami shops to see what their nitrox classes cost. I did not find a single one that was charging close to $250, let alone $250-$300. Most were more expensive than could be found a few miles in either direction from Miami, but I could not find a single one as expensive as it says here. One of the 5 I checked charged $145.

---------- Post added March 18th, 2014 at 07:24 PM ----------

nv:
I have looked into the TDI online course and it costs $129.00, just need to find a TDI shop here in Miami. The majority are PADI, SSI.

Google will find it for you in seconds. Make sure you understand how much extra the local instruction charges above that $129.

Yeah... cause throwing people in without a basic grasp of how the gas in their tank can affect them tend to be a good idea...

What dive agency advocates throwing people in? There is zero reason why a certified diver cannot read a Nitrox pamphlet (what the dive agencies call a Nitrox book) and the directions for what ever tester they may opt to use on their own, and dive Nitrox very safely.

What dive agency advocates throwing people in? There is zero reason why a certified diver cannot read a Nitrox pamphlet (what the dive agencies call a Nitrox book) and the directions for what ever tester they may opt to use on their own, and dive Nitrox very safely.

Then how does the shop verify that they've adequately gained that knowledge? Without some form of verification, the shop leaves itself wide open to liability if the diver takes that tank of nitrox too deep and ends up hurting themselves. The certification may not be necessary from the diver's perspective, but as a business owner, it's the only way to verify that the diver is qualified to take that gas on a dive.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Might it not be a good idea to require them to take an exam to verify that they actually read the pamphlet?

Yeah, I know this has been the subject of other threads.

Might it not be a good idea to require them to take an exam to verify that they actually read the pamphlet?

Yeah, I know this has been the subject of other threads.

so I see two options:

1. Get a Nitrox certification card to show that you have written and passed an exam on Nitrox.
2, Write the exam every time you rent a Nitrox

both sound reasonable to me :D

Back
Top Bottom