Nitek 3 its expensive but GREAT!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just so happen to run into a DiveRite rep at the local shop, i couldnt get him to shut up about the Nitek 3. yes its a nice computer but no im not paying $1000 dollars for something i dont really need. I could think of alot of nice equipment i could put that grand towards though. if your into computers and want to spend that kinda $ go for it. For me, and most divers i would imagine, it is not a peice of equipment we will buy.

if you have $ to throw away get one. but i think that grand could go towards better purchases (IMHO).

TMD

Let's start over?? What program are you using to compute your tables? What type of diving do you do when using tables ie, typical profile? What basis do you have for saying that one computer program is better than another regardless of where the computer is located(my wrist or my desk)? I personally haven't heard of people getting bent on a regular basis using a switchable computer. That is when it is used as intended. We all know that there are those predisposing factors that no computer or table can take into account. Not once has the doppler picked up any silent lurkers when I've used the computer.

Originally posted by NetDoc
Are there any dedicated dive computers that can handle He???

Are there any dedicated dive computers that can incorporate the various deco programs???

Would I have to forgoe my child's education AND my retirement to afford such a beast???

1) Yes: 2 I know of:

http://www.vr3.co.uk/vr3_main.html (to misquote you, it seems a bit gimikey to me)

http://www.abysmal.com/pages/features-explorer.html (of the 2 I like this one better but have no plans to get one anytime soon...)

I kind of agree with Yooper that they are still a bit too "young".

2) Sort of: abysmal has a choice of 10 possable algorithms. 10 programable gas mixes switchable during dive (1 air only, 4 nitrox only, 5 nitrox or trimix)

3) Well, delay them a bit perhaps... The abysmal is $1,400 orderable from the website above.

I have no idea on the quality or usablity of either unit. Don't know anyone with one and I've never seen either except for the propaganda pages listed above. :wink:

Voyager, Decoplanner, V and others.

150-300 for 40===Very cold water

KISS= Keep it simply Stupid!

What is easier than going off of a table.

I have spent less than 200.00 for the computer software and I only use them for comparsion.

I plan the dive and stick with the plan but I also know the numbers if I have to go outside of that.

After you do a few dives, you will get the hang of it. Don't worry about it miztflip, it will come with time and the proper classes.

Go on ebay and put the computer up for sale. You will get around $400-500 if it is in good shape. Use that money to by a bottom timer and buy a couple of Deco programs or use many of the free ones. YOU ONLY USE THESE FOR COMPARISON ONLY THOUGH.

Hang in there! :)

I would guess that you picked up two of the Nitek 3s to have a backup on the dive also. Tip====Put the other one up in a few weeks after the first.

Joe

=====================
Let's start over?? What program are you using to compute your tables? What type of diving do you do when using tables ie, typical profile? What basis do you have for saying that one computer program is better than another regardless of where the computer is located(my wrist or my desk)? I personally haven't heard of people getting bent on a regular basis using a switchable computer. That is when it is used as intended. We all know that there are those predisposing factors that no computer or table can take into account. Not once has the doppler picked up any silent lurkers when I've used the computer.

hey Yooper,
just a few questions
1. How much time do you spend in the water every week?
2. How many people have you seen that were bent?
3. Who pounded this mess into your head?
4. How do you calculate anything without doing a little math?

Not a personal attack, I just don't understand some of the things that you say. You are probably a fine diver, but you seem a little up tight. Relax, this is supposed to be fun!!!

Funny, I don't have to pay for them, I just take them from the shop when I need to use them.

KISS

Tell me exactly what is simple about deco diving?? Don't tell me that you opened a book and recieved a dose on instantaneous enlightenment. Maybe you did pick up on it quickly and make the necessary connections but it is hardly simple, if it were I don't think that you would be making comparisons.

OK Pete (and others), I'm going to try and describe how we go about planning a dive, including the planning of contingencies and how we would deal with unexpected problems while underwater. I think a good way to start is by coming up with a dive. I’ll make it a nitrox dive so those with Niteks can relate to it (since it isn’t a trimix computer). Let’s start with this 100’ nitrox dive, since anything deeper should have a 30/30 trimix:

Depth: 100’
60mins
Mix: 32%
Deco mix: O2

Primary Deco Plan as put out by V-Planner:

30’ 5 mins.
20’ 13 mins. O2

OK, I look at that plan and I say to myself, I don’t like that. I want to start deco deeper, so I throw in a 15sec stop at 80’, 70’, 60’, 50’, and 40’ (these are likely unnecessary, but I would do them anyway). Then I say I want to make the final 20’ ascent take 3mins. Why did I do this? Because I like to throw in extra safety factors just in case things don’t go well during deco and I have to surface. I also dive in really cold water, rougher seas (unpredictable seas), and other factors. So, my total time in water is about 87mins (only 18mins of which are critical for deco). How did I know to do this? Lots of research and discussions with people who know more than I do.

OK, so what happens if I cut the dive short? What I do is I ask V-Planner what a 30min dive looks like, and it tells me a 4min stop at 20’ on O2, is required. So I jot this down on my plan. Now, if this were an emergency situation during the dive, I would skip the deep stops, ascend at 30fpm, do the 4mins at 20’, and even skip the very slow final ascent (all of this would be dependant upon the problem, of course). So, what happens if I only have a 45min BT? Then I stop for 10mins or so at 20’. I wouldn’t even write this down because you can get close enough by making an educated guess while underwater (the key word here is “educated”). If I just wanted to end the dive early, then I would add the 15sec deep stops, as stated in the primary plan, and add the very slow ascent form 20’. Keep in mind; deco is not an exact science. There isn’t a magical number that miraculously assures you will surface nicely cleaned out. I place a lot more weight on the ascent speed and deep stops.

For this dive, I would have a backup plan to account for no O2 just in case I lost it somehow. The planner tells me to do 3min stop at 30’ and 21mins at 20’. Assuming there’s no real emergency, then I would do the same deep stops and slow final ascent as stated in my primary plan.

The problems with computers and many of their users (I said “many” :wink:), is they simply jump into the water and rely solely on the computer to figure everything out. They have no idea what deep stops can do for you or what the very slow final ascent can do for you. Besides, if my $1000 computer doesn’t tell me to do it, then it MUST be right – NOT! Then if you ask them “well, what happens if your computer croaks?”, they say “I don’t know. I guess I should get two” :rolleyes:. So now they have a couple thousand dollars in computers and still don’t have a clue. They still “believe” that their computers are performing deco correctly, but they don’t.
People that use planners, like I do, sit down for hours just playing with various profiles, contingency plans, and various repetitive dives. After a while, you start to see “trends” and begin to get a more thorough understanding of what’s going on. Then one day, they say, “why is it doing this” or “what are these deep stops all about”. Next thing you know your reading stuff by Weinke, Hamilton, Maiken, and Baker to get a real understanding of the theory of what’s going on. Then, on a bright sunny day while you’re hanging at 20’ half asleep, it all comes together. You begin to think like a nitrogen bubble :wink:, and you are able to relate everything you have been reading, diving, experimenting, and it all comes together.

So, as you can all see this isn’t the fast and easy way to decompression diving like computers are. This approach takes longer. You might even think it’s boring, and you just want to dive. That’s OK, as I said in my very first post, I very well expect most to completely ignore all of what I’ve said and go out and buy a few thousand dollars worth of computers. I really don’t expect people who have already spent thousands on their computers to listen to any of this – besides, they’re still kickin’, right? :D. This has been a pretty good discussion of a topic that gets brought up once in a great while, and I have thoroughly enjoyed it. I think any lurkers have had a good opportunity to see both sides of the issue, and in the end it’s up to them how they want to spend their money and time. The funny thing about the Nitek 3 is that for Trimix, you have to use it as a timer. That’s one heck of an expensive timer, dontcha think? The Nitek 3 is more geared towards the incredibly foolish deep air profiles, because nitrox dive don’t really need two deco gasses (the Nitek can use up to three gasses). So, for those planning on trimix diving, is the Nitek 3 really such a great idea? If you’re planning deep air dives – good luck to you :rolleyes:.

Take care.

Mike

Disclaimer: There is a lot involved in understanding some of this stuff. I wouldn’t take anything I say to heart without an understanding of your own. If you intend to use the above profile, consider that there may well be mistakes, typos, and other things that could directly kill you, if you don't know what you're doing. The above profile was intended to be used a basis for discussion regarding the planning involved in diving -- sorry that never transpired. Do not do any of this type of diving without a thorough understanding of decompression procedures and physiology.

Originally posted by Divesherpa
hey Yooper,
just a few questions
1. How much time do you spend in the water every week?
2. How many people have you seen that were bent?
3. Who pounded this mess into your head?
4. How do you calculate anything without doing a little math?

Not a personal attack, I just don't understand some of the things that you say. You are probably a fine diver, but you seem a little up tight. Relax, this is supposed to be fun!!!

I guess I just make this stuff up as I go along. Everyone, forget everything I have said on this thread and go out and buy your $1000 or $1400 (or whatever) *tech* computer and have at it -- you'll be a full bore *tech diver* then. I don't think it can be spelled out much better than I, and others, have done here. Weigh both sides, and hope for the best.

IF anyone has any real questions that might make for an interesting discussion, then I'll bite. Otherwise, this thread seems to have ran it's course with opposing views having been thoroughly addressed. Maybe a new thread in the Tech section would be a better place for future discussions of deco procedures and the like.

I wish everyone here the best of luck (computers or not).

:)

Mike

Back
Top Bottom