Nitek 3 its expensive but GREAT!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, you explained everything!

Joe

miztflip wrote:
Funny, I don't have to pay for them, I just take them from the shop when I need to use them.

Originally posted by Lost Yooper
Rick,

Do you really think that a computer is "accurate" if it's programming is based on conservation and inadequate algorithm? Deco isn't an exact science and there isn't a reliablely "accurate" way to track the bubbles. People are paying for a gizmo that can't do what it says it can do.

Mike
Any algorithm that can be plugged into your PC can be plugged into a dive computer. It's just a matter of burning the EEPROM. Most likely, the only reason there aren't user flashable dive computers already has a lawyer and a bureaucrat at the bottom of it. I am curious as to your questioning the efficacy of the Nitek 3 algorithm. It has an excellent record of success. Under any circumstances, it's a valuable tool when used within the limits for which it is intended - as for trimix technical diving, it really shouldn't be long before you can hook your dive computer to your PC and download any algorithm you want to it, and carry your planner and your plan with you, in a "box" that shows you just where you are on the plan, just where you've deviated, and recomputed your status based on the parameters you dictate. The science and the technology are already here. It's just a matter of economics now. What we need to do is to convince the lads at NEDU in Panama City that they absolutely must have such a device so we can get the public to share in the R&D expense and bring 'em down to something the common man can afford.
Rick

Wow! Let me get this straight, you don't like computers because in part the algorithm is all wrong. But you then use a deco program with the same basic algorithm, which you clearly don't trust or like, and modify radically to suit your personal notions of what a correct algorithm might produce? Does that sum it up? What are the maximum gradients produced by your ad hoc deep stops? If you are so concerned about "correct" deco profile shouldn't you base it on a quantifiable and consistant gradient profile, not just pull it out of thin air?

Has it occured to you that many of us are aware of the value of deeper stops and routinely make them while following our computers? That the deco tables your software produces are no more educational than the deco schedule a computer or computer simulator would produce? That many of us read "stuff by Weinke, Hamilton, Maiken, and Baker to get a real understanding of the theory of what’s going on" long before attempting a decompression dive?

There are legitimate reasons why a multiple mix diver might want to use tables instead of a computer, but most of your spurious arguments miss the mark.

Just for the record I stay within the NDLs when I dive and actually have no real opinion on the value of a computer in multi-mix diving. I do incorporate deeper safety stops into my computer diving profiles.

Ralph

Yeah, OK Ralph. Whatever you say. You obvious know what you're talking about and have the experience and aforethought to back it up. I gracefully bow to your wisdom on the subject and ask for your humble forgiveness of my ineptitude. :rolleyes:

I'll bow out of this one and clear the platform for Ralph (and anyone else daring enough) to show us his wisdom of decompression physiology, algorthms, and procedures. My intolerable ignorance on the subject is obviously counter-productive here.

My sincerest apologies to all :(.

Mike

PS.

Rick,

I hope what you say can happen someday, and a truly adequate and failsafe computer can be brought out that utilizes a good deco alogorthm and still be very affordable. Lawyers, lawyers, lawyers.

Originally posted by Lost Yooper
My sincerest apologies to all :(.

Mike
No kidding...
I can't believe you thought you could pull something like that...
What a dolt...
To your corner :wink:

Actually I was going to post a reshaping of your proposed deco but realized I'd end up in the corner with you.... :D
I'll email you some tips...

Whether you folks use a table computer or a wrist computer...
Listen to your body...
Pay attention to what you feel like after your deco...
If you did it right you will feel like a million bucks...
If you didn't do it right you will feel crappy...
So next time you can adjust your deco... er... computer...

At least mine is trying to understand. Please do not let this degenerate into a mud slinging contest. Uuncle Pug, I am especially interested in what you have to say about it, even if you feel you must PM it to me. My questions do NOT have a hidden agenda, and I am reading every single post... some of them twice! So please, lets put the acrimony behind us, and stop trying to determine -WHO- is right and just put -YOUR- reasons on the table. Yoop, I read both of yours twice, and while I have some questions still in the back of my mind, I would like to hear whats up with UP.

Originally posted by NetDoc
Please do not let this degenerate into a mud slinging contest.

Pete I hope you realize that I am with Yooper Dooper on this and I was just having a little fun with it and trying to defuse the ... er...situation....:wink:

Mike and I communicate off the board via email and I did send him some stuff but I really didn't feel that it belonged out on the board where someone without the...

how shall I say this...

buoyancy skill & timing to make it work might try it and get hurt.

It is one thing to know what to do and another to be able to do it.

If you have questions Pete go ahead and PM and I will try to answer them.

Gotta go now and do a shallow dive in the 102F tub :D

Exercise for those insisting on using current computers for tech diving.1 Compare actual downloaded profiles of current computers vs the various theories on deco(Haldane,Buhlman,RGBM,VPM..etc)2.Establish which theory the computer most closely follows.3 Determine the suitability of the computer to anticipate and react to your dive profile(based on the theory used,conservatism,available applications and user changeable configuration)4 After you've done this you will come to the same conclusion....current computers are less than desirable for serious deco diving.However for occasional stuff they'll work.......with the caveat that you are still responsible for implementing any non-standard deco procedures(deep stops,slower than 30 fpm ascent during stops and <10 fpm from last stop.That being done .....yes the Nitek is just peachy.Nice color too.I'll wait for Rick's computer to come out before I let one figure my deco for me tho.while yer at it how about switch on the fly,repetitive planning and gameboy port too:wink:

Quote:
Dive Shop Monkey

Wow that hurt, I can see why you withold both your age and location.

I have seen a couple of people post who stated they used both a computer and deco tables. They have all said the results were "about" the same.

My challenge is this... You say the tables are superior to the computer algorithms. What is the algorithm that the Nitec3 uses and can you prove the V-planner is superior to it? Other than the fact you can customize it to what you want or is this what makes it superior.

I, like Pete, am really trying to learn something here.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom