Nitek 3 its expensive but GREAT!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt

Registered
Reaction score
I figured someone on here would've put on a thread about the Mightest Dive Computer on the market. The Diverite NiTek 3.

This computer is the ultimate for technical diving. Its a multi gas switching computer (use 3 different nitrox mixes) which is great if you're doing decompression dives and want to use something other than DCIEM air tables or Navy, and don't have Gap or decoplanner.

It cuts down your deco obligation way more than I would've ever thought possible. I've had the opportunity (or missfortune) to do dives with people who have Suunto's or Oceanic's which are extra conservative (especially for multiple dives).

Though this computer is onen of the worlds most expensive, and its a little bigger than most, its the most reliable one I've seen, the battery lasts as long a Uwatec (maybe longer because they've never even had one need a battery change yet) which usually lasts upto 5 years with normal use.

I've dove the Nitek 3 w/a digital bottom timer for 3 years now and have done some great dives with it. The nice thing to is that its got a back light, and its good to 660'.

It may not be as pretty or have as many bells and whistles as the new Vytec from Suunto which I am test diving, but I think that its still the BEST computer ever made.

If you're looking for a great unit that does it all get a look at the Nitek 3!

:mean:

Has anyone else got one??

I don't do this often (in fact, I don't think I've done it) on the Computer Board, but I want to go on the record (for future lurkers to read) and say you will be a lot further ahead to spend your time and money more wisely if you're going into technical diving.

My recommendations:

1. Learn about decompression diving; including deep stops, proper decompression mixes, trimix, and the dangers of deep air diving. Let me know if you need relavent links. Too many divers rely on their computers and don't know squat about what they're doing and if it's right or wrong. Knowledge takes time, but is well worth the effort.

2. Rather than blow your money on an expensive computer for decompression diving, spend it on a good decompression program like GUE's Deco Planner ($80?), or download a free planner like GAP or V-Planner. Then buy a cheap bottom timer like the Uwatec or OMS. I also like the Vyper which has a gauge mode.

IMO, this is one area where the "simpler is better" routine shines. If you remember nothing else, remember that getting out of the water faster doesn't necessarily equate to quality off-gassing. I realize most people who read this won't believe me and will probably go out and spend a fortune (as I did) only to find out someday they screwed up. This is another area where a lot of good quality research can pay off in your pocket book :).

Take care, and good luck to all.

Mike

Don't wast your money on the Nitek 3. If you need a computer for nitrox and you need one that will work in gauge mode if you dive DIR go with the Suunto Vyper.

If you don't need it for Nitrox diving, just get a bottom timer for under $150.00

Lost Yooper is correct. Before you toss your money down the drain learn how to dive using the best computer that anyone could have, Your Own Brain!

Also if you look on ebay!, you can find the Suunto Vyper computer new for around 225-to 300.

Okdir

I have to agree with matt that computer is dynamite but I only use it conjunction with decoplanner and my bottom timers for excelerated decompression...

Not necessarily a waste on money as it grows with a advanced nitrox diver who gets into trimix can be used as a bottom timer!

Although Lost Yooper does make some valid points its only something to enhance your training and experience education is the foundation of a good deco diver..

Matt see ya on the JODREY!!!

NINJA:ninja:

Just use a bottom timer and run tables from deco planner or one of the other ones.

Don't waste your time and money on the Nitek 3.

Okdir

As always some good points have been made, however the nice thing with the Nitek 3 is that it isn't as confining as some of the tables. I use decoplanner and gap for certain dives (trimix usually), my nitek is even great for trimix because its within a few minutes as the tables are on my stops. Its a great asset to a diver. Especially if someone doesn't carry 2 sets of tables with them, gets stupid and loses them.

The Vyper is Extrememly conservative. If you're going to put it into gage mode you might as well own a bottom timer. I wear a Uwatec timer and a Nitek 3, and the Nitek is one of my very favourite peices of gear! Its never failed, it has an easy to read display screen (although I need a new cover because of all the pool dives I've got on it), but I love it. It hasn't had any problems, and you can download your dives afterwords if you like too!

I know that a lot of people are really big on decoplanner, I am too, but the Nitek fills a void that tables don't. If you finish your dive early instead of hanging on a line for an hour of deco why not plunk in the gas mixes you'll be using for deco and let the computer do what its designed for?

Nitek 3 is my friend!

:maniac:

Lost Yooper said:

2. Rather than blow your money on an expensive computer for decompression diving, spend it on a good decompression program like GUE's Deco Planner ($80?), or download a free planner like GAP or V-Planner. Then buy a cheap bottom timer like the Uwatec or OMS. I also like the Vyper which has a gauge mode.

Why would you spend $80 on Deco Planner instead of downloading the freeware GAP?

Originally posted by reefraff
Lost Yooper said:

Why would you spend $80 on Deco Planner instead of downloading the freeware GAP?

I wouldn't. I use V-planner (which is free), but Deco Planner is nice too and has a great reputation.

As a side note to a post above, if you've taken the time to learn how deco works, you'll know what to do if you have to cut your dive short. You don't need a computer to tell you, just your knowledge. IMO, you'll be further ahead with a an investment in time rather than a "non investment" in an expensive computer.

As for the conservative factor in computers, most of them are conservative -- and rightfully so. They are not decompressing you correctly ("correctly" being the key word here). Most of them do not require proper deep stops, very slow ascents, and the ever important "crawl" of an ascent from 20' to the surface.
Even with my old fashioned Aladin Pro (considered conservative) when I used it soley for deco, I came out feeling like crap. Others who were using more liberal computers would feel worse. This is sub clinical DCS folks, and it's not good for ya.

Now, the new Vyper's, and others using RGBM, are more conservative, but that's because they are tracking bubble growth. The nice thing about the Vyper is that it won't penalize you for incorporating deep stops and slow ascents :thumb:. I'm not saying to use the Vyper for deco :nono:. I intend to use it for nitrox rec diving on vacation and the gauge mode for deep stuff.

Take care :).

Mike

Why are you bothering to carry a 'puter (NiTek or otherwise)
when diving in a pool?

Unless you log pool-dives you don't need to know the time or
depth.

Back
Top Bottom