Aqualung i470TC - battery dies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jetsettingbarista

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have an Aqualung i470TC that I (mostly) love, but in prep for a recent dive trip, I found that the battery had died within about 1.5 years with only 1 week long dive trip in that window. Other than that, it's stored in a stable place. That seems like a very short amount of time - any suggestions on what could be wrong? It doesn't seem to go into a sleep mode with a blank screen like my previous Suunto used to, was that it? Thanks so much for the advice!

For whatever it’s worth, I just replaced the battery of my Aqualung i300c. It lasted about 10 months and about 20 dives.

Mine does goes to sleep after 10 minutes of not pressing buttons and entirely turn off after 2 hours of not being underwater.

I think I left Bluetooth on all the time and I wonder if that has an impact on battery life. So I’ll be more mindful of that.

Yours should have a Standby Mode.

STANDBY (POWER SAVING) MODE
The i470TC shall enter Standby mode 10 minutes after Dive, Gauge, or Free Surface Modes has been activated
(or 10 minutes after the post dive transition period has ended) and no button presses or dives have been initiated.

See page 8 of the manual. Dive Computer Owner's Manual I470tc

Exactly - I also suspect bluetooth so will turn that off going forward. It does seem like there should be a tru "sleep" mode that turns off functions until a button has been pressed. Currently is acting as a watch and tracking time, which I can't imagine helps.
For whatever it’s worth, I just replaced the battery of my Aqualung i300c. It lasted about 10 months and about 20 dives.

Mine does goes to sleep after 10 minutes of not pressing buttons and entirely turn off after 2 hours of not being underwater.

I think I left Bluetooth on all the time and I wonder if that has an impact on battery life. So I’ll be more mindful of that.

I have an Aqualung i470TC that I (mostly) love, but in prep for a recent dive trip, I found that the battery had died within about 1.5 years with only 1 week long dive trip in that window. Other than that, it's stored in a stable place. That seems like a very short amount of time - any suggestions on what could be wrong? It doesn't seem to go into a sleep mode with a blank screen like my previous Suunto used to, was that it? Thanks so much for the advice!
Hi - I have the Aqualung i200C as well as the i470TC.

The i200C is proving to be pain with the 'low battery' sign flashing within a month of changing a fresh one. I have done this almost thrice with new batteries but to no avail - even with the bluetooth switch off. Digging into several forums, I found that this is quite common with Aqualung computers and in particular the i200C.

As for the i470TC, I have logged 39 dives within a year. So far it has not shown any 'low battery' signs. I also switch off the Bluetooth right after syncing the log to the app. I am hearing the battery problem for the first time and it does make me apprehensive considering it is a fantastic computer.

Finally, I don't think the i470TC goes into a sleep mode. Instead, it goes to the 'watch mode'.

I hope this helps.

Nirdesh

Thanks, Nirdesh! Super helpful to have the comparison.

I agree with the Bluetooth and do the same. I am tempted to pop the battery out between uses for the longer stints to see if that will help. I'm not sure if that will hurt the computer or not, though.

Fwiw, I reached out to the manufacturer and never heard back

Some of the current crop of AL computers (i300 for example) seem to retain moisture on the water sensor, keeping the computer awake indefinitely and burning battery. Any salt residue on the computer will absorb moisture from the air and keep the sensor damp.

I would suggest thoroughly rinsing the computer and allowing it to dry completely. Keep an eye on the computer and make sure it turns off. Other than that, pulling the battery is an option but that increases the risk of flooding the battery compartment. Damned if you do ...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom