Nitek 3 its expensive but GREAT!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would like to dive with you just to watch how you handle your tables, etc under water. I must admit that the extent of my "table watching" is checking to see how much more bottom time I have.

Originally posted by NetDoc
I would like to dive with you just to watch how you handle your tables, etc under water. I must admit that the extent of my "table watching" is checking to see how much more bottom time I have.

It would depend upon the dive Pete, but the idea is to plan your dive and then dive your plan... really.

The tables that I have written down (by hand) in my wetnotes are not at all like the PADI tables....

They are just decompression stops/times required for certain depths and BT...

We select the depth table that applies...
Then select the projected BT column...
Then write those stops/times down on a front page...
Making adjustment for the mix used (we use air tables)...
We mentally keep track of our profile and if it is significantly different from what was planned make adjustments....
We arrive at our first gas switch and do 3~5 minutes...
If we are on 50/50 we reduce the required times for the rest of the stops by 50%.....
(If we were to lose our deco gas we would revert to the times as written....)
If we are using O2 at 20' we make an adjustment to the times and reduce them by another 50%...
If the O2 fails we revert to the 50/50 times...
If both fail we revert to the air times...
BUT...
This does mean that we have to pay attention to depth and time and be in that habit of keeping track mentally... *Plan your dive and then dive your plan* acutally meaning something in this context.

If I were to be using a computer even on *recreational* dives I would be training myself not to pay attention to the details....
That is why I say:
"Computers will rot your brain."
:D

Pete,here's the scoop.Take a 5 gallon bucket,cut 2 pieces 3"x5" out of the round part(imagining that it will be facing you on your wrist)bevel the edges and drill 2 holes on each long side.Take a piece of bungee material(about 24"),pass it thru one hole , make a knot on one end.Make a bracelet of the plastic and tie a knot in the other end.Cut off any excess.Print out tables on waterproof paper.Tape them on the plastic with clear packing tape.Put the third copy on a slate and either put it on your D-ring or in a pocket.You can vary sizes and placement to suit.I put mine on my right wrist next to my BT or computer.Works fine for me,there are other methods.

Green Manelishi wanted to know why I use a nitek in the pool??

Its just an inside joke between me and my "best friend" Warren.

I will never dive my computer in a pool, its seen some of the best and most challening dives available so far.

:guitarist

A diving computer, like a pistol, is a tool. Knowing its potential, its limits, its strengths and weaknesses, its capabilities are all part of knowing how to use it well and correctly. To throw it out because someone may not do their homework is like throwing out the baby with the bathwater. Or taking a knife to a gunfight.
I've seen all these lines of reasoning again and again, resisting everything from BC's to safe seconds to Nitrox to Trimix. Computers in diving are here to stay, gentlemen, and as they improve they will expand the safety envelope beyond what's possible with pen and paper - and they will become a ubiquitous essential technical diving tool just as surely as the hand held calculator has displaced the slide rule.
Protest if you like... in less than a decade you'll wonder how you ever thought you could do it better without one.
Rick

Early 70's, GM had just come out with it's new "Electronic Ignition" to replace points once and for all. The very first "dead" car gets towed into our shop. Ol' Charlie goes over makes his first assessment and says... "$%$*& we're gonna have to be TV repairmen to work on cars now." I, being the youngest in the shop, slapped in a distributor rotor. When the car started, I said something like "That wasn't so hard now, was it?" We haven't looked back as an industry. Electronic ignition, Fuel injection and computers have revolutionized the automotive industry and instead of making things more fragile, we find that tune ups are done every 60K instead of 6 or 12K. Head Jobs which were common at 60-80K are contemplated around 160K or later. When computers finally hit cars in 1980 ½ we figured out that they were way more powerful than the ones they landed on the moon with. Today’s cars have about 500 times the computing capacity of what we accomplished that feat with. Simply amazing. Still, up until distributorless ignition systems (DIS), the most common failure was still the distributor rotor. Go figure.

I remember making a dozen or so dives around the same time. We had weight belts, but no BCs. There was no one to certify us and I don’t remember having any gauges to check out how much air we had. I do remember bringing my Boy Scout compass on at least one dive and we dove without wetsuits. No one even talked about safety for that matter. When you ran out of air, you yanked the rod and came up as fast as you could. Equipment and understanding evolves and we are the better for it. Don’t ask me to go back to points… or the J valve!

I made the mistake of buying two of the Nitek computers a few years back for both my wife and I.

Take a deco class and learn how to cut your own tables and just get a gauge computer or a Suunto Vyper.

Why the heck would you want to just toss money out the window!

People that recommend the Nitek for tech dives don't need to be doing tech dives!

IMHO

I have used Nitek, including the Nitek 3, for more than five years. IMO it is one of the best made computers regardless of price. I dive for a living and have never had any problems. The battery doesn't need to be changed but once every 5 years or so. The only problem with Suunto is the fact that it puts you into deco about every third dive because of the algo that it runs on, I think it's a 100 hour. As a bottom timer I'm sure that it works fine, just as my Citizen watch does and I can actually wear it to dinner without anyone giving me funny looks.

What's wrong with using a computer for tech diving, what I mean to say is give me some good arguements despite price. We all know that tech diving is far from inexpensive so IMO that's not a valid arguement.

Even when diving with a gas switchable computer we still cut tables and stick with them. It is enevitable with enough dives that you are going to stray from tables for any number of reasons, yes emergencies and hammerhead sharks included, and it's nice to have that computer program down there with you and not on your office desk. I agree that diving computers to their limit is very dangerous in tech or any other diving.

Back
Top Bottom