Nitek 3 its expensive but GREAT!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nitek 3 works great for deco after cave diving. After a double stage, just pop up (slowly) to stop depth and when I hit thirty feet,
press button
Deco is cut significantly.
What's not to like. I love this stuff.

As a side note, I use the III as a backup with tables in OW deco. It runs close to tables, but I prefer the tables when deeper than 165.

Originally posted by miztflip
What's wrong with using a computer for tech diving, what I mean to say is give me some good arguements despite price. We all know that tech diving is far from inexpensive so IMO that's not a valid arguement.

Greetings,

I think many of us already submitted reasons why a computer is wholly unnecessary in technical diving if you have invested the time in learning how deco works. I'll reverse the question, what can your $1000 (or whatever they cost nowadays :wink:) computer do that a diver, knowledgeable in correct decompression theory, can't do? Emergencies are relatively easy to deal with if you've thought about it pre-dive. Heck, they're not too bad on-the-fly either.

Now, if one is not preparred to seek out and learn how deco really works and invest the time in learning, then I guess maybe a $1000 computer is the ticket for you (better make it two, just in case :wink:). The practical aspects of deco are not all that complex. The hard part is knowing who to learn from, IMO :wink:.

Take care.

Mike

PS. Again, I'm not against spending money on stuff, but wasting it is another thing. A $1000 can get you a lot of really useful and relavent stuff.

Originally posted by Lost Yooper
I'll reverse the question, what can your $1000 (or whatever they cost nowadays :wink:) computer do that a diver, knowledgeable in correct decompression theory, can't do?
A computer can continuously track multilevel depths and times that far exceed the capacity of the diver to accurately apply to a table solution on the fly. By taking the algorithm on the dive itself, instant, continuous recalculations of decompression status that account for deviations from the planned profile (intentional, accidental or in response to an unforeseen need) can be made that a diver just can't do as well as the computer.
The computer won't forget a deviation that a diver might.
The computer won't misread the table by accident.
The computer is no substitute for sound planning and does not eliminate the need for manual table calculations. But it is a wonderful tool for fine tuning the plan on the dive, a great backup, and the best error-checker ever.
Rick

Is that even while you are slamming computers as making your brain rot, you still use them to compute your deco obligations and dive profiles. An algorithm is an algorithm. If you are using a binary tool to compute it, does it really matter whether or not that tool gets wet? AND, as Rick pointed out, the computer has a far better sampling rate than a diver. Would this not be seen as reducing the task loading that encumbers the diver? Are there any diving computers that can accommodate different algorithms and/or different mixes?

Now, I am NOT trying to make an argument here, as I do not even START to understand how you guys think on this. I really have no idea if there are really good reasons for your aversion to computers, or if they are just vestigial remnants of technophobia.

I am certain that it can not be merely adding "failure points" as bottom timers and depth guages are subject to failures. Carrying a second (or third) computer would be fairly easy too.

Well put Rick. I'm a mathematical genius, but I'll leave real time multi-level depth calculations to a computer. I like tables for WTF, but I don't care how smart you are, multilevel calculations are too much for anyone.
I still don't understand the concept behind not having a computer at all. They simply cut a real-time table of your dive. Regardless of what your plan is.

Has the nitek 3 algorithim been changed to be able to compute helium mixes?
Friggincold :cold:

(which is what I usually do) are there any dedicated dive computers that can handle He???

Are there any dedicated dive computers that can incorporate the various deco programs???

Would I have to forgoe my child's education AND my retirement to afford such a beast???

And DiveSherpa... what does WTF stand for? (might as well ask while I am admitting to my abject ignorance in this area)

Originally posted by NetDoc
(which is what I usually do) are there any dedicated dive computers that can handle He???

Are there any dedicated dive computers that can incorporate the various deco programs???

Would I have to forgoe my child's education AND my retirement to afford such a beast???
To my knowledge there are two trimix computers available to the general public so far, and, in my opinion, they're not quite ready for prime time - mighty expensive for a marginal addition to your trimix dive gear. But this thread is about the Nitek 3, and therefore I'm talking about Nitrox dives, using Nitrox or oxygen for decompression - and for that job, the Nitek 3 is pretty mature and reliable, and a very useful tool to have along. I'd put the "mature" trimix computer as "just around the corner" - all the necessary parts and programs already exist, but it's going to take some deep pockets to put 'em all together, and with such a limited market for them (you can see from the discussions here that there's tremendous resistance to them from the very folks who could best use them) the unit price will have to be high as a kite for anyone to tackle their manufacture. Indeed, the only way I see them hitting the market at a reasonable price is if they are treated sort of like Ford approaches the Daytona 500 - they don't expect to make any money on those cars directly, but they do expect the publicity to pay off in sales of their mainline models.
Rick

Ya'll think I would throw a question out there like that without having a clue what kind of answers I'd get back? I can't get into it at this second, but I'll post something tonight. It should include things along the lines of predetermining (or approximating) a multilevel dive (pre-dive), diving the plan, using your brain to calculate contingencies on the fly, and knowing what the bubbles are doing and why.
You have to combine pre-dive planning with pre-dive contingencies. You have to be familiar with deco tables and bubble mechanics to do it. Sounds like a lot of work, eh? It requires a more disciplined approach to learning, which a lot people have little interest in doing, thus you have dive computers. You DON'T have to be a genius, math whiz, or have a Ph.d in diving physiology, or whatever to know how to deco out without a computer. I'll be the first to say that I don't have a clue how to do the math and have no interest in learning it. It's totally irrelavent to knowing the practical aspects of decompression diving and bubble mechanics.

Hopefully, I can better explain how it is unnecessary to have a computer for multilevel diving and contigencies. I doubt that I will change the way most of you view diving with computers, so I'm pretty sure this thread will come to an end soon. Computers offer the "easy" route -- the more "attractive" route. I'm only going to put forth an argument for others who are lurking to consider, and thereby reconsider the actual value of a dive computer.

Take care.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom