Night Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sharks really are not a risk to be worried about. Shark fatalities are very low so even finding accurate statistics on them is hard. It seems that sharks get one person in the USA every other year. In the same time period, far more people are killed by dogs, wasps & bees, horses and cattle. If you want to fear something, worry about drunk drivers.

We do get "shark attacks" in FL. Most of them occur at Daytona and New Smyrna Beach. Most of these are nasty bites that require a whole bunch of stiches and are suffered by bathers or surfers. Most of them are inflicted by rather smallish sharks. The common explanation is the sharks are chasing small fish through turbid waters and bite people by mistake. If you have ever seen aerial photographs of the beaches there are literally dozens of sharks mixed up with hundreds of people. If these sharks actually routinely fed on people, there would be hundreds of attacks every day. It is amazing that the "attack" rate is so low.

As for scuba divers, think about it. For example, I am 6' tall. My fins add another 3'. My BC, mask, and tank make me look much larger. Plus I am blowing bubbles. I bet I look like I am 10'+ and not very edible to boot. Generally predators like to go for things that are smaller than they are and likely to not put up a big fight. For a shark to have a good edge over me, it would have to be truly gigantic like 14'+. Sharks of that size just are not seen much.

I think a few scuba divers have been killed by sharks but the number is probably vanishingly small. Also, remember that quite a few divers molest fish and sharks (poke them) and claim that they were "attacked" when the irritated animal bite them. A good rule of thumb is keep your hands to yourself.

I have seen sharks scuba diving but most of them are quite wary of divers and take off. Sharks are graceful creatures and are a delight to see.

Shark fatalities are very low so even finding accurate statistics on them is hard.

Shark fatalities statistics are hard to keep 'cause you can't find the bodies!!!! :shakehead:

I night dive Dania beach frequently let me know if you ever want to come along. Just wear shark repellent deodorant.:cool3:

I'm telling you: just watch out for the matta ewes! :D

lol sounds good.. im not a fan of shore diving but i might wanna try it out at night and catch some lobsters :) we saw a ton the other night but they were all to small.

Sharks really are not a risk to be worried about. Shark fatalities are very low so even finding accurate statistics on them is hard. It seems that sharks get one person in the USA every other year. In the same time period, far more people are killed by dogs, wasps & bees, horses and cattle. If you want to fear something, worry about drunk drivers.

We do get "shark attacks" in FL. Most of them occur at Daytona and New Smyrna Beach. Most of these are nasty bites that require a whole bunch of stiches and are suffered by bathers or surfers. Most of them are inflicted by rather smallish sharks. The common explanation is the sharks are chasing small fish through turbid waters and bite people by mistake. If you have ever seen aerial photographs of the beaches there are literally dozens of sharks mixed up with hundreds of people. If these sharks actually routinely fed on people, there would be hundreds of attacks every day. It is amazing that the "attack" rate is so low.

As for scuba divers, think about it. For example, I am 6' tall. My fins add another 3'. My BC, mask, and tank make me look much larger. Plus I am blowing bubbles. I bet I look like I am 10'+ and not very edible to boot. Generally predators like to go for things that are smaller than they are and likely to not put up a big fight. For a shark to have a good edge over me, it would have to be truly gigantic like 14'+. Sharks of that size just are not seen much.

I think a few scuba divers have been killed by sharks but the number is probably vanishingly small. Also, remember that quite a few divers molest fish and sharks (poke them) and claim that they were "attacked" when the irritated animal bite them. A good rule of thumb is keep your hands to yourself.

I have seen sharks scuba diving but most of them are quite wary of divers and take off. Sharks are graceful creatures and are a delight to see.

ok i wasnt being seriouse about the shark thing. everyone else was making a joke so i was to. im not affraid of sharks. i just didnt know what to expect jumping in at night.

all I do is shore diving at night---have to wait until the kids go to sleep. It's absolutely fantanstic. The more you do it the more comfortable you will be with it. My advice---get a good light. that makes such a difference.. lights do range in quality so don't think that you'll get by with a $10 light with 1 AA battery. You'll ruin your experience and you won't like night as a result. I've probably done 40 night dives down here in Ft. Lauderdale in the past 6 months..I'd be more than happy to take you out on a shore dive one night..

yea me and my boyfriend will definatly go. we wanna go out and catch lobster but wanna go with a group. my night dive was awesome and ill definatly do it again!

Natalie, I strongly recommend you check out the Gold Coast SCUBA meetup. GREAT group of avid divers, with many night dives scheduled each week.

Every Tues or Thur I go out with these folks--sometimes it's just me, sometimes there are 5 others as there were on monday (exception). We each came out with about 2 lobsters. Definitely join the group.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom