Decided on a Poseidon Seven for my first rebreather. Suggestions and ideas ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOB0.01J

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
hi all. Couple weeks ago I posted a thread on deciding my first CCR for a recreational diver background, and after careful consideration, I have decided on a Poseidon seven CCR and training through an experienced instructor in a few months. PADI recreation rebreather training down to 60 ft is going to be the course Im going to take and will advance in the future as I get more experience. Any advices as how should I prepare for my training, and how to get a smooth transfer from OC to CC for the very first time? Excited and nervous….

hi all. Couple weeks ago I posted a thread on deciding my first CCR for a recreational diver background, and after careful consideration, I have decided on a Poseidon seven CCR and training through an experienced instructor in a few months. PADI recreation rebreather training down to 60 ft is going to be the course Im going to take and will advance in the future as I get more experience. Any advices as how should I prepare for my training, and how to get a smooth transfer from OC to CC for the very first time? Excited and nervous….
Maybe your instructor will have some ideas. Wouldn't hurt to ask him/her, I think, if you haven't already.

Congrats on choosing a unit. Can't wait to read your progress reports!

rx7diver

Go in with an open mind, expect to unlearn some behavior from your OC time, expect to be taught some wrong things, expect the first ten hours to suck, and I’d encourage buying that unit in particular used. They don’t tend to hold their value very well.

Surprisingly enough, the PADI CCR manuals are probably better than most of the other agency CCR manuals, but still are lacking.

All that said, an Advanced Nitrox or GUE Tech 1 or equivalent will help you better understand the academic side.

n.b always question anyone teaching a recreational ccr course

Realize that you're a n00b again and go in with a humble attitude. I found, and everyone I've ever talked to about the subject agrees, that the first few days of training are a rude shock. You've likely got your poo in a nice and tidy pile for OC diving, but you'll find that CCR scatters it. In fact, you'll likely be asking yourself if you made a very expensive mistake. You didn't. Things will get better with practice.

Ask your instructor for a detailed list of gear, and bring all of it. Using borrowed kit, even if just small bits and pieces, adds a layer of stress that you don't need.

During training, slow down and think about what you're doing. In particular, consciously think about opening/closing your DSV/BOV (the mouthpiece-thingy that replaces your second stage). It's easy to stay in the OC groove and just pop your mouthpiece out without closing the valve first.

And on a related note, buy a small bottle of white vinegar and stash it in your gear box. If you don't close the valve tightly and end up getting a caustic cocktail, you'll need a rinse.

Realize that you're a n00b again and go in with a humble attitude. I found, and everyone I've ever talked to about the subject agrees, that the first few days of training are a rude shock. You've likely got your poo in a nice and tidy pile for OC diving, but you'll find that CCR scatters it. In fact, you'll likely be asking yourself if you made a very expensive mistake. You didn't. Things will get better with practice.

Ask your instructor for a detailed list of gear, and bring all of it. Using borrowed kit, even if just small bits and pieces, adds a layer of stress that you don't need.

During training, slow down and think about what you're doing. In particular, consciously think about opening/closing your DSV/BOV (the mouthpiece-thingy that replaces your second stage). It's easy to stay in the OC groove and just pop your mouthpiece out without closing the valve first.

And on a related note, buy a small bottle of white vinegar and stash it in your gear box. If you don't close the valve tightly and end up getting a caustic cocktail, you'll need a rinse.

I’ll be blunt - your buoyancy will really suck at first unless you’re some sort of savant. Ugh. I trained in the fall. Thought I’d made a VERY expensive mistake.

AquaLung Comfobite mouthpiece - the real thing made in France, not a knockoff - made a huge difference to me. I know a lot of rebreather divers who use them.

I flooded my unit on day two, I think. 🤣😁 Last dive, at least. Made a habit of NOT closing DSV before I took it out it my mouth. I learned quickly enough. 🤣

@WOB0.01J, CCR divers may describe CCR experience through hours. But hours are not a good proxy. If you want to get super good, focus on motionless and precise deco stops. Once you achieve that, you're good.

First 10-15 hours, just learn to breathe, control loop volume, and embrace the buoyancy suck.

The next 10-15 hours, is when you'll start getting better at buoyancy control. So, after 20 hours or so you should be confident enough. During this time, have your friends take videos of you under water. I did not do that and it was a big mistake. You're looking for good trim and kick.

Then starting practicing deco stops. Pick your depth and then do a 1 minute stop every 10'.

When you get over 50 hours, watch out for complacency. Overconfidence is not your friend, so continue practicing good habits. Remember that the best sport to practice for diving is diving, so dive and make every dive a practice dive. Skills like bailing out and performing routine checks should be a second nature.

Also, stay in touch. If you're in NH, then we must dive Lake Champlain at some point ;-)

Back
Top Bottom