Night Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

natalieee

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So Im getting my advanced ow certification this weekend and were doing some night dives off ft. lauderdale. Im very excited but a littler nervous about the whole night thing. I mean Iv herd is beautiful and a very exciting dive but I dont like the fact that i can't see anything and i don't want to be mistaken as a fish by a hungry shark. So I was wondering if you guys could give me some heads up on what Im ganna see and if Im making it out to be more scarry than it really is........ thanks! :)

The night dive here was not really much differnt then day except it was dark. And if you have a decent light its actually really cool. You will get plenty of light especially from being in a group to see. Here in the quarry where I did my 1st dive we had about 30feet of vis during day and very close to that at night. Even though it was dark without the lights being on you can actually still see. Not very far but there is natural light if the moon is out and bright. Relax and enjoy the dive you will like it.

Relax. Have fun looking at all the critters while keeping track of your buddy. Don't worry about the sharks, but watch out for the matta ewes.

whats a matta ewe?
I don't know.. what's the matter with you? :D

:pwned:

You're just jealous!

But really, other than people making more of it than it is, night diving is easy and way fun! Take two lights in addition to any strobe/beacon you might carry. Don't over tax yourself by carrying a camera, speargun, etc on your first few night dives. Spend time relaxing before you splash and be sure to take things slow and easy at depth. You will see a few different things at night as the nocturnal creatures come out to feed. These include some really cool critters like octopus and many crabs. It's really, really fun.

Probably one reason you dive is it's so beautiful...
well, you'll get the see another side of the beauty.
You'll be surprised how busy and happy it is, like a popular nightclub.
As a22shady says above there usually is some natural light down there.
Let us know how you enjoy it!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom