Night Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been night diving here for 30 years and I've only lost one hand and one leg to the sharks.

KIDDING!!!! :rofl3: Don't sweat it, night diving is uber-relaxing. Just listen to Pete above, don't task load...just take your light and a back-up light and chill out. The colors at night are breathtaking, and the most boring looking reef on a day dive totally comes to life.

Thanks everyone! ill be sure to just stay relaxed and who knows i'll prolly love night diving better :) but we'll see. i just hope this hurricane were suppose to get doesnt effact my dives this weekend cause im really looking forward to it!

but i will let you all know how it goes and hopefully i can get some good pictures :)

So Im getting my advanced ow certification this weekend and were doing some night dives off ft. lauderdale. Im very excited but a littler nervous about the whole night thing. I mean Iv herd is beautiful and a very exciting dive but I dont like the fact that i can't see anything and i don't want to be mistaken as a fish by a hungry shark. So I was wondering if you guys could give me some heads up on what Im ganna see and if Im making it out to be more scarry than it really is........ thanks! :)

Not at all - its a well know fact, backed up by research and statistists from the "Shark Attack File" at Mote Marine Lab in Sarasota that the majority of diver deaths and injury from sharks happens at night. main reason for attack being mistaken for fish. They have an abiity to track humans by scent, slowly and silently swim up - and the next thing you know, you are missing an arm or leg - or worse - DEAD, swallowed whole :shocked2: At least during the day, you had a chance - at night - no way.

Sorry, the above paragraph is complete BS - could not resist a little fiction. :D

Debby is 100% correct - "Boring" daytime sites can become interesting at night; one of the best dives I've ever done was 17' in the Keys on a scrubby patch reef - at night, even if I did have to fight off 3 sharks.....SORRY! - its great, and you are going to love it - completely natural to have some trepidation, and natural to worry (a little) about what you can't see, but most tend to love night diving for the perspective and unique experience.

Hope you take this in the spirit its given and don't mind me pulling your leg a little :D:rofl3::D

We are heading down again this weekend are looking to do our first night dive if conditions are good. We have dived the reef often and I think it would be kinda cool to see the different activity at night.

i dont mind the jokes :) theyre funny.. but i appretiate all of your comments and i can't wait to dive this saturday night.. iv never seen an octopus so im kinda hoping i do!

I just did my first night dive about a month ago. Vis was very bad, maybe 2 feet. Despite that, just doing it was a thrill. I blocked my light's beam from time to time and just hung briefly in the darkness. It was pretty cool. Just relax and enjoy it! BTW, if your dive light is of significant negative buoyancy, you might find that you are a bit over weighted. At first, I couldn't figure out why I was suddenly over weighted until i realized that my UK C8 was doing it. Damn, I love this diving.

My first night dive was in Bonaire. Pretty awesome time to...until two very large Tarpon buzzed right over me from behind i swear about 2 inches above my head. Scared the beejeezus outta me.

Other than that, very cool stuff. Way better than in the daytime when most critters are asleep.

So for an update.. i went on a twilight dive and a night dive last night. and id have to say, it was wonderful, except the shark trying to eat my camera the whole time >.< lol JK i didnt see any sharks. saw tons of lobster and was hoping to keep some but they were all too small. But it was a lot of fun. Im glad i did it and i cant wait to do it again :) thanks for all your comments!

-Nat!:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom