Newbie, need help with wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Geodiver81:
What about the biological built in liquid heater? Just drink lots of water before the dive right? Hardy Har Har! :lol2:

That works really well, for about five minutes. Unfortunately, it's usually a one shot deal, and then I feel even colder afterwards.

Not to mention, some people have a hard time overcoming decades of toilet training that says "don't p in your pants". :)

Man, it isn't rumor.... It is the fact. I have Henderson Hyperstretch and Gold suits. Gold core is much warmer than Hyperstretch suit. The Hyperstretch is very flexible to get in and off, but it doesn't last long. It eventually lose all flexibility to be stretched out. So, be wise when you get the used Hyperstretch suit. Mine is OK so far.

Wijbrandus:
I've heard rumors that the hyperstretch isn't as "warm" as regular neoprene. Can anyone comment?

Cerebralentropy:
Everyone who has replied to me has said what they do to be warm enough, but no one has said they were diving in say a 5mm full and were uncomfortable
Chris, I've not really been too warm underwater in a fullsuit, its more of an issue with bulk. I *have* been too warm on the surface interval, but if you unzip your fullsuit down to the waist you should be fine. FWIW, I've also been too *cold* on the surface interval, so bring a windbreaker or fleece in your divebag if the air temps are cool.

Wijbrandus:
I've heard rumors that the hyperstretch isn't as "warm" as regular neoprene. Can anyone comment?

My 7/5 Hyperstretch one piece is 2 years old and still going strong. I can't stand a suit this thick made from other neoprenes that don't stretch well. So for me it's the warmest suit that I can freedive and scuba with in mid 50s to upper 60s temps. Yes it pills with velcro contact, but that's a small price to pay for the warmth.

In thinner suits Hyperstretch is not my choice, preferring Gold seal there.
Gold seal is not "regular" neoprene either. It's very warm not having a fabric layer next to your skin. It's pretty stretchy with only the outside fabric coating. I have a 5/3 Gold seal hooded vest I wear with the 7/5 Hyperstretch suit. Also a 3mm Gold jumpsuit for warmer water.

The latest Henderson Ultra Dry is still not out yet, to my knowledge, but the prototype I have is pretty sweet. It's like Gold seal inside and has no fabric coating outside to hold water, which cools a suit in the wind. There is an synthetic core in the middle for stitching support. This suit is between Hyperstretch and Gold seal in flexibility.

Chad

I mean "eventually and relatively." Nothing personal!

You all are such a fun bunch! I am going to have to join you on a trip so I can put a face to the great advise and wit!
I think I am going to take the "plunge", pick up the 3mmHenderson hyperstretch, and rent a shortie in T&C if I find it cold. I am so excited!!!!Can't wait to get out there!!

Hello all, and thank you for all the comments! I will keep all these comments in mind for the future.
Today I went to the Dr. to get the blessing to embark on my new adventure of getting my open water cert, and found that I have high blood pressure. It was 178 over 112 in both arms, and was immediately medicated, and I am told I could have killed myself if I went to depth in my condition.
I have the potential with lifestyle modification and medication to control this problem well enough to dive, so that is my new goal. I am not terribly over weight (could stand to drop 10 or 15 lbs) or out of shape, not someone who you would expect to be in this stage of hypertension. Food for thought.
Meanwhile, I can snorkel, and enjoy all else that is landloving.
Thankfully I got checked out! I had no idea I had this problem.
I look forward to when I am fit, and can be part of your community.
Sincere thanks, safe dives to you all!
Christine

Cerebralentropy:
Hello all, and thank you for all the comments! I will keep all these comments in mind for the future.
Today I went to the Dr. to get the blessing to embark on my new adventure of getting my open water cert, and found that I have high blood pressure. It was 178 over 112 in both arms, and was immediately medicated, and I am told I could have killed myself if I went to depth in my condition.
I have the potential with lifestyle modification and medication to control this problem well enough to dive, so that is my new goal. I am not terribly over weight (could stand to drop 10 or 15 lbs) or out of shape, not someone who you would expect to be in this stage of hypertension. Food for thought.
Meanwhile, I can snorkel, and enjoy all else that is landloving.
Thankfully I got checked out! I had no idea I had this problem.
I look forward to when I am fit, and can be part of your community.
Sincere thanks, safe dives to you all!
Christine

The good news is that it was recognized and you're getting treatment. Follow your treatment plan and take good care of yourself. Meanwhile enjoy snorkeling, going out and covering a mile or two is great exercise. You can do some steady travel and then slow down to play. All of the snorkeling skills will ease your SCuBA training. You can even practice mask clearing!

Good Luck,
Pete

First of all I was in Playa del Carmen, Mexico a few weeks ago. They say the water temp was in the mid 70s. I think that the water temp was coloser to the 80s. Anyways I don't know how long you plan to be in the water, but I used a shorty, and it worked out just fine.

However now that you are getting closer to April and May, yo have to start to worry about jelly fish larvea, which can stick to your skin and outer clothing. The larve can cause your skin to break out if you get stung by it. So you may think of wearing the thinnest type of full bodied wet suit to protect ourself from the jelly fish.

Back
Top Bottom