Newbie, need help with wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A lot depends on your personal tolerence and body type. If you're in really good shape, you'll have less personal insulation and may move around move efficiently, and therefore, you'll be colder. Also, apparently as you become a more comfortable diver and cruise around with more ease, you'll also be colder.

I always dove in 2 or 3 mil shorties (caribbean waters) but have now moved almost exclusively to a 5mil hyperstretch. I'm still comfortable in it and never cold. You may be able to dive shorties or thinner suits and not feel too cold, but when doing multiple dives, the mild cold will sap your strength more without you realizing it.

I've heard rumors that the hyperstretch isn't as "warm" as regular neoprene. Can anyone comment?

As far as the wetsuit struggle goes, I have a 3mm full wetsuit. I will wear it without fail up to about 86F. I've been comfortable in my 3mm down to 75F (started to get cold), and haven't tested it past that yet. I really don't have any problems getting into my suit, though. I think 3mm is thin enough that hyperstretch is really not necessary.

My personal inclination is anything that would require more than a 3mm is the realm of drysuits. Too bad I don't have the money for one of those. On the rare occasions I do dive cold, I just rent a 7mm. Those are certainly a struggle. If I bought one, it would certainly be a hyperstretch, despite the rumors of lack of warmth.

I agree with Doole. A 5/3 or a 5/4/3 full. You may want to add a light 2mm hood too.

No advice on Provo except have fun.

TwoBit

Moved from Introductions & Greets forum.

I'd use a 3/5mm for those temperatures. As for which wetsuit to purchase, my suggestion is to try on a few. If your LDS doesn't have a good selection of wetsuits in stock, an only slightly more risky suggestion is to purchase your wetsuit when you arrive at your dive destination.

An on-site dive shop is more likely to have equipment suited for the local conditions, and chances are that the price won't be too much worse (or better) than your LDS.

Xevious:
I'd use a 3/5mm for those temperatures. As for which wetsuit to purchase, my suggestion is to try on a few. If your LDS doesn't have a good selection of wetsuits in stock, an only slightly more risky suggestion is to purchase your wetsuit when you arrive at your dive destination.

An on-site dive shop is more likely to have equipment suited for the local conditions, and chances are that the price won't be too much worse (or better) than your LDS.
I am getting the feeling that from season to season, with the fluctuatuon of water temperatures and ones own tolerane for the water, eventually by trial and error I will accumulate the gear I need. The one consistant thing that has not been told to me is that I can not be suited too warm. Everyone who has replied to me has said what they do to be warm enough, but no one has said they were diving in say a 5mm full and were uncomfortable,
Any thoughts??
Chris

I don't think I have ever heard anyone in a wetsuit that was in the water comment that they were TOO warm.

Then again when you go with a heavy wetsuit you limit your range of motion and your bouyancy becomes a little more interesting to manage.

If you get too warm, you can always let water in to "chill out".

You can't do squat if you're too cold, though...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom