How is a new wetsuit supposed to feel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just pee in it. It's always more comfortable after a good pee.

Ok ... on the serious side. Wetsuits are never comfortable dry and indoors. It shouldn't restrict your breathing nor unduly limit your range of motion, accounting for the fact that it will loosen up a good bit in the water. I find it very had to know for sure if a wetsuit fits until I dive it a time or two. Many shops have an exchange policy within a short period of time for this exact reason.
It amazing the weird looks one gets when doing this in the shop…

I'm just a few lbs lighter than you and I wear a M 5mm proteus II from Fourth Element. I think those wetsuits are somewhat famously difficult to don a doff and I thought I was going to die in the shop when I tried it on. I was similarly sort of in between sizes and had to order the wetsuit into the shop as they didn't normally carry them so I didn't want to exchange or return it and I'm glad I didn't. Still a bit of a pain to get on and off but 18 dives in it's getting better and it's most certainly the right wetsuit when I get in the water.

As others have mentioned, if you can't breathe or it's cutting off circulation that's a no go but you can expect a dry, brand-new 5mm to be a bit tough to move around in at first.

Personally when people say tight.
Like tightening a bolt... what does that mean? What diameter is it. How long is the wrench, oil on the threads? Etc.

It's called experience....
You should maybe rent a few and see what works.... then you will have some experience,.. when your in the water it should not be to restrictive.
If the suit is all your thinking about... its probably to tight...

Look into a semi dry wet suit... they fit much looser especially at the core.

You must be very new to this sport. You’re not talking advice. Go to a scuba store and they will explain everything. You can try on many suits and buy as loose as you want. Or dive in warm water like 80 F and higher and wetsuits are less important.

I don't understand this thing about tight where you need to be able to inhale fully without suit resistance

How tight is a ball of string
I don’t understand why you’re trolling and don’t go to a scuba dive store to ask.

Speaking from personal experience, a wetsuit should be snug, but not tight. A wetsuit that is too tight can be deadly. Be sure there is some elasticity. I was able to zip up a new 5 mm wetsuit with just a little work. Didn't think it was a big deal. When IPE started at 120', I fortunately recognized that something was off. By the time I surfaced I could barely breathe and a RIB was right where I needed it to be. It was definitely the wetsuit. Heart checked out just fine. Have been diving steadily since including some deep dives. All is well, however, there is always risk when diving.

"Well supported risk factors of IPE are: being over 50 years old, being a female, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) intake before diving, physical exertion prior to or during the dive, increased work of breathing (which will be affected by gas density), tight suit/equipment, cold water and arterial hypertension..."
From DAN's diver's blog March 1, 2024.

(edited for clarity)
Suit feels looser at depth. This was user error. Maybe gained a lot of weight after buying suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom