Newbie, need help with wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My first post here but I have been reading and gathering the information I needed to make a pretty good purchase today...

I got a 3mm Henderson Hyperflex off of Ebay for $76. I am stoked about that. It is used but the (supposedly) 6 times and the pics look like it is brand new.

Thanks for all of the posts about wetsuits - I was not going to spend over $100 for a 3 or 3/2 suit for Cozumel trip in April so I thought the Henderson was out but I feel like this was too good a deal to pass up.

Thanks again!

Personaly love the hyperstrech 3/5 when diving Hawaii. Glad you caught the BP. As well there was a full moon equals jellys in August on Oahu last year so really full suit was the best bet.

I have wet suit question about cold water diving, but don't think it needs a new thread. I know it's all a bit of guess work based on each persons tolerance but what would be a ruff break down of water temps for 3mm, 5mm 7mm drysuit. I live in Colorado and am trying to get gear together for our short summer dive season in rather cool waters. Thanx Tracey :cheering:

Tracey,

Around here, it's a 7mm or a drysuit. With a hood for sure, and maybe good gloves. Last summer, I think Aurora Res hit 65F. Santa Rosa is 60F year round.

I've been in a 3mm down to 75F. It gets pretty cold at that point. Below that, I'd just go straight to a 7mm. I don't see much point at a tweener like a 5mm, but then I don't like being cold.

Just my humble and cold-blooded opinion.

Wijbrandus:
Tracey,

Around here, it's a 7mm or a drysuit. With a hood for sure, and maybe good gloves. Last summer, I think Aurora Res hit 65F. Santa Rosa is 60F year round.

I've been in a 3mm down to 75F. It gets pretty cold at that point. Below that, I'd just go straight to a 7mm. I don't see much point at a tweener like a 5mm, but then I don't like being cold.

Just my humble and cold-blooded opinion.
Thanks, I know what you mean about cold I did 72F in 3.5mm in Key Largo two weeks ago and spend the second dive shaking and all evening trying to get warm again. I really wished for a 5mm. I'm looking to do the altitude couse and spend some time in Aurora this summer. I'm looking at a 7mm Decor Metelcor farmer john on ebay right now, it sounds like I sould get it. Thanks agin for the info...:cheering:tracey

So how cold would you wear a 7mm suit down to? I'm new to Scuba and already have a 3mm suit from my Jetski days. I plan to buy a 7mm but how cold of water can you be in and still be comfortable with that?

EuphoriaII:
So how cold would you wear a 7mm suit down to? I'm new to Scuba and already have a 3mm suit from my Jetski days. I plan to buy a 7mm but how cold of water can you be in and still be comfortable with that?

This will be personal preference as well. I would sooner don a dry suit that a 7 + 7 jacket and farmer john. I can comfortably run a 7+7 down to 50 degrees. Many may go lower yet, bu that is my personal threshold for pain.

Back
Top Bottom