Newbie, need help with wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi folks,
Glad to have found this site!
I am trying to choose a wetsuit for Carribian waters, mid to low 70's. Is it it worth the extre $ for the Henderson Hyperflex?

Also, I am heading to Provo on 3/12 for a week, any tips on what a newbie should do?

Thanks!!

Big difference between 71 and 79 degrees. 71 I dive a 3mm full. 79 and above = swim trunks and a fleece vest. For warm water the thermal protection is not the main issue (depending on your tolerance) and with a more expensive suit the ease of donning/removing/flexibility in the water would be more the issue. I don't know if the Henderson is better than a cheaper suit or not.
As far as the fins go, there will be alot of opinions on this board about that. Try several and see what you like best. I have 4 pair that I use depending on the situation. In warm water I absolutely love my full foot Oceanic V-6s.

70's is a big range and it depends on your tolerance for pain. 70 is 5mm hood and glove range for me. 79 is 3mm/2mm range.

Hyperstretch is no warmer than anything else. But it is worlds easier to don, especially in thicker sizes (5mm and 7mm), and if your figure is something other than a superhero it is very forgiving and conforming.

Full disclosure after reading Kevin's post. At 69 degrees I put the fleece vest under my 3mm full and below 65 I wus out and go to my dry suit. Anyone want to buy a 5mm john and jacket? lol

Howdy!

And welcome to SB - the biggest, the best, the fastest growing, and :D the friendliest!
If you'll click ScubaBoard.com above, you'll be taken to our long list of forums, a wealth of information and resources. At the bottom, be sure to notice the Local & Singles Dive Club forums.

I like a 1 mil and a 3 mil, both for those waters, depending on other chill associated factors. But for sure, I suggest NEVER, EVER BUY A SHORTY! As to money, quality and reward? Depends on whom you ask...?

PM me if I can help you learn your way around; that is - click my username to the upper left, then follow the prompts to send me a "Personal Message." :thumb:

:cowboy: don

Threshold is a big point, everyone is different. For me a 3mm (approx. 6mm core) farmer john with hood and gloves will suit me to around 52°. If I feel like a wiener I might throw on a jacket over that. I just don’t get cold that easy. If you can, rent a few of differing thickness and take then for a little swim, then at least you’ll know what thickness is best for you. Also if you are one to get cold easily then I would strongly suggest a hood or beanie with a good set of gloves, but like I said it is dependant on your comfort. You just won’t know until you try it for yourself. Hope this helps ya out.

Cerebralentropy:
Hi folks,
Glad to have found this site!
I am trying to choose a wetsuit for Carribian waters, mid to low 70's. Is it it worth the extre $ for the Henderson Hyperflex?

Also, I am heading to Provo on 3/12 for a week, any tips on what a newbie should do?

Thanks!!

Personally, being kind of a chilly mouth-breather, I like my 3/5 mil. (5 mil in the body, 3 in the arms & legs.) I would agree that you want a full suit.

Watch your weighting; the darn things can be surprisingly bouyant. (Mine to the tune of 12 lbs or so.)

Hi Cerebralentropy, my name is Matt. I would like to welcome you to ScubaBoard!

Take care and Safe Diving. :butnhome:

Click here to greet a new member!
:happywave
No experience needed and it feels great!

After trying on a Henderson Hyperstretch and comparing it to other wetsuits, I can honestly say I won't own anything but a Henderson. To me there's nothing worse than feeling squeezed by a wetsuit, and the Henderson never feels that way. The hyperstretch material is incredibly forgiving of differing body types, and IMO the most comfortable wetsuit on the market today.

My husband and I practically tried on every wetsuit in the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area and nothing compared to a Henderson. IMO they are well worth every penny....especially when we watch other people struggling to get into their wetsuits on the dive boat! :wink: Wouldn't dive with anything but a Henderson.

Back
Top Bottom