new TSA rules prohibiting lighters on aircraft

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm email this pic to TSA - maybe they'll recognize you...! :wink:

DandyDon:
I'm email this pic to TSA - maybe they'll recognize you...! :wink:

This is really my better side...

krusty.bmp

I've flown serveral times with lighters and matches left in carry on or checked baggage. Seems the screener are more concerened with me removing my gym shoes or "boat shoes" due to me hiding something in them than my lighter or pocket knife. Noticed each airport has a different set of rules it seems....

chrisc:
I've flown serveral times with lighters and matches left in carry on or checked baggage. Seems the screener are more concerened with me removing my gym shoes or "boat shoes" due to me hiding something in them than my lighter or pocket knife. Noticed each airport has a different set of rules it seems....
Well, the lighter prohibition is kinda' new - started in April. :wink:

Actually - Military Airlift Command (now Air Mobility Command) has been banning them since the sixties (If they knew you had one.) In the event of sudden cabin pressure loss they are higly unstable.

But, according the them, you needed a fresh high and tight haircut to fly also. So who knows what TSA will come up with next.

Tom Smedley:
Actually - Military Airlift Command (now Air Mobility Command) has been banning them since the sixties (If they knew you had one.) In the event of sudden cabin pressure loss they are higly unstable.

But, according the them, you needed a fresh high and tight haircut to fly also. So who knows what TSA will come up with next.

Flew 4 AMC flights (C141, C5 and 2 contract carriers), in the past 2 years, never been asked if I had a lighter or matches. Last trip was last fall when I did the desert run back to the states. MRE's actually have matches in the packages, and that's what we got for several legs for food. Also have about 16 flights since April, the TSA, MOVED 2 lighters in a carry on to check a dive camera housing and the desi packs on a hand search...

chrisc:
Flew 4 AMC flights (C141, C5 and 2 contract carriers), in the past 2 years, never been asked if I had a lighter or matches. Last trip was last fall when I did the desert run back to the states. MRE's actually have matches in the packages, and that's what we got for several legs for food. Also have about 16 flights since April, the TSA, MOVED 2 lighters in a carry on to check a dive camera housing and the desi packs on a hand search...
Okay, I want my $10 per ticket back. Where to I file a claim...?!

knotical:
This TSA URL
http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_multi_image_with_table_0099.xml
says you can bring safety matches into the cabin, and you can place empty lighters in checked luggage. No other matches or lighters allowed.

But if you go here
http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?content=090005198013de87
you’ll find the exemption archman mentioned, allowing up to two fueled Zippo lighters in their special containers. Note that no other brand is mentioned. I wonder about Zippo knock-offs.

So now matches in the cabin, empty lighters in the cargo hold, and fueled Zippo lighters in special containers in the cargo hold.

Will all the inspectors know all this, along with the myriad other rules? Perhaps you should print out the rules (with the source URL prominent) and place a copy with any questionable item.
I'd suspect that the difference is in the pressurized fuel of some lighters. Are most (all) Zippo lighters the kind that use liquid fuel in an unpressurized state (soaked cotton or some such)?

-Rob

rab:
I'd suspect that the difference is in the pressurized fuel of some lighters. Are most (all) Zippo lighters the kind that use liquid fuel in an unpressurized state (soaked cotton or some such)?

-Rob

You're looking for a logical explanation for something a government agency is doing?
That's a good one.

According to a business associate who has a family member who is a TSA big wig, the lighter ban came about due to a Congresscritter who had a lot of political pull. The critter, not sure who, thought lighters and matches were dangerous. The associate said that TSA had no problem with lighters, but gave in when the political clout was too much.

Back
Top Bottom