new TSA rules prohibiting lighters on aircraft

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

archman

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Since it's been about one week since the TSA started it's crackdown on confiscating all cigarette lighters from all luggage (carry-on and checked), I was wondering how the diving community has fared with this. I know a lot of us smoke, and bunches more carry lighters with our save-a-dive-kits to melt plastic, nylon, candles, what-not.

Myself, I find this incredibly annoying. Now whenever I fly to a dive site, I'll have to purchase a whole new lighter to stick in my fix-it bag, and then remember to throw it away before I return to the airport. The Boy Scouts, hunters, and smokers must be totally flipping out.

archman:
Since it's been about one week since the TSA started it's crackdown on confiscating all cigarette lighters from all luggage (carry-on and checked), I was wondering how the diving community has fared with this. I know a lot of us smoke, and bunches more carry lighters with our save-a-dive-kits to melt plastic, nylon, candles, what-not.

Myself, I find this incredibly annoying. Now whenever I fly to a dive site, I'll have to purchase a whole new lighter to stick in my fix-it bag, and then remember to throw it away before I return to the airport. The Boy Scouts, hunters, and smokers must be totally flipping out.

I had a lighter in my dive kit refused by the TSA last November. I was given the choice, I could carry it on my person, or throw it away, I could not keep it packed in my checked luggage.

Since I don't smoke (unless I am on fire) I just threw it in a nearby trash can, it was nearly empty anyway. Disposable lighters are cheap, and pretty easy to find. The hard part was remembering to get one before I wanted to use it.

Mark Vlahos

friend of mine recently flew and just put his lighter in his cig box -- the foil apparently blocks the x-rays enough so they couldn't see the lighter...

definitely confidence inspiring...

Recently (February 05) flew Hawaiian with a metal small blow torch type 'lighter'. Out was in checked bag and no problem, also had a disposable plastic I discovered in my carry on and no problem. Returning, the blow torch was in the carry on (forgot, gee, I remembered the leatherman) and lost it. Bummer.

Certainly understand the rules re: lighters in checked baggage- butane may pose a hazard. Were it up to me neither matches nor lighters would be permitted in carry on's either. Of course were it up to me, cigarettes (being a deadly weapon) would not be permitted either... but as a former addict myself (30+ years ago), I can understand the smoker's needs.

Dr. Bill

drbill:
Certainly understand the rules re: lighters in checked baggage- butane may pose a hazard.
Yep, I knew about butane, stupid to not go thru the ‘what if’ bag pulled out to get the ‘return to civilization’ shopping accomplishments in.

I don't get the rationale for the old rule banning lighters from checked luggage. I don't believe there's a single documented case where a lighter has caused a problem to an aircraft.

As for lighters being banned from carry-on, that's directly due to that dude who tried to light his explosive shoes a while back. Talk about the extreme outside envelope of statistics...

And it's not just butane lighters that are banned, but ANY lighter.

According to TSA, folks can still pack matches, but they have to be "safety matches". Whoopdee-doo.

Why not just buy it when you get to your destination? Big deal.

Back
Top Bottom