new TSA rules prohibiting lighters on aircraft

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonFrank:
Leave it to the government to cash in on items that in general are NOT dangerous, but are taken from the owners with no way to get them back in the name of protecting us all.

It would not be that hard for them to setup a way to check these things, and allow the owners to get them back if they wish. Sure a Bic lighter is not something one wants to *check*, but in the case of a good hunting knife, or sissors, having a simple way the tag the item for later retrieval would not be that hard to do, and they could even charge for the service.

But why bother setting up such a system when they can just take the stuff, and then sell it for profit. I realize that TSA is NOT getting that profit, but our state government sure is.

Kinda like the lotto, while everyone is drooping over the recent payout of $124 M to the lucky winner, what most people don't think twice about is that jackpot was REALLY going to the state and federal government. The lotto was up to $360M. That was 50% of the sales so some quick math:

States - $360
Federal - $124M
Winner - $124M
States collect an additional $116M as the winner elected a cash payout.

So Us $124
Them $600M

50% of proceeds to the winner my hind end :11doh:

And that money was taxed at LEAST once, so why are the Feds there with hands out during the payoff?

Seems rather unfair, and why is it that EVERY time I turn around I am paying $100 to the school for my son's *public* education :06:

If our government was as efficient at managing funds as they are at collecting them, our country would be a lot better off. :soapbox:

It is so. I have wondered why they don't have a bucket for lighters at the TSA exit point for inbound passengers. All it would take is for a TSA employee to take the bucket from one side to the other. Passengers happy, drop it off leaving pick one up on arrival. And TSA would not have to store all that pressurized gas....oh sorry I forgot someone is making a buck on this, silly me.

That is a great suggestion cdiver2. But, you're also right about the cash grab...

Actually, I had 2 lighters on my Friday, and didn't want to try to slip both by - so I wrote on one with indelible marker "leave here' and left it on a smoking bench. I didn't think it would be there today, but it would have been something if it had been. Of course, it wasn't.
sad-smiley-012.gif

DandyDon:
Actually, I had 2 lighters on my Friday, and didn't want to try to slip both by - so I wrote on one with indelible marker "leave here' and left it on a smoking bench. I didn't think it would be there today, but it would have been something if it had been. Of course, it wasn't.
sad-smiley-012.gif
Maybe if you had used duct tape and some string?

HowardE... I have never been able to start a fire with duct tape and string. I'll work on that.

DandyDon:
What...?!

RoatanMan:
So, what then, are dive knives okay in carry on? Are they okay in checked baggage?
DandyDon:
We're talking about simple cigarette lighters here, not weapons. :silly:

My dive knife is not a weapon!

At least, "weapon" is not one of the choices that I can select from on the PADI test for the question "What are the seven uses of a dive knife?"

The banning of Butane lighters occured through simple bungling and misunderstanding of information. That then begat the banning of certain Casio watches.

This isn't worth the bandwidth. My knife "question" was in that vein.

BTW, butane lighters will often leak at altitude. The rules might have some reasoning. Might.

Hey, it's a "rule". Either follow it, or don't. Either get away with it or worm your way out of it. Doubtful that they'll arrest you... so far.

When we get that to using that "known passenger" list (the EZ Pass system) in place- well- that's going to be a different story. Your TSA Screening History will be on file.

... as well it should be.

When we get that to using that "known passenger" list (the EZ Pass system) in place- well- that's going to be a different story. Your TSA Screening History will be on file.

... as well it should be.
Ya' think HowardE's mini-bust is on file now? Or my lady dive buddy's hassle with a 6 ft bullwhip in her roll-on? (They finally did allow it.) Nothing confiscated from me yet. :thumb:

At least they let me carry nail clippers. It's bad when I put my pocket knife in checked luggage, secure with cable ties, then can't find anything to cut the ties at the other end. Had nail clippers take from me on 09-16-01 leaving Roatan. :pilot:

DandyDon:
Or my lady dive buddy's hassle with a 6 ft bullwhip in her roll-on?

Is there a special section on the Single Diver's Forum for hook-ups such as this?

RoatanMan:
Is there a special section on the Single Diver's Forum for hook-ups such as this?
Celebrating her first C-card with my 12 ft - Texas style....

Sudany013a.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom