new TSA rules prohibiting lighters on aircraft

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can be arrested for a lot of things... They can confiscate my lighter if they wish... Do you think I would say to them "I was putting in there to test your system"? I would say "Oh my gosh, I forgot to empty out my backpack" - and they would toss my lighter into the bin with the others.

howarde:
I can be arrested for a lot of things... They can confiscate my lighter if they wish... Do you think I would say to them "I was putting in there to test your system"? I would say "Oh my gosh, I forgot to empty out my backpack" - and they would toss my lighter into the bin with the others.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :D

I still shudder over my knife, tho - that it got thru, and that I could have been caught. I was in my home airport at least, where the locals kinda know me, but the knife went thru Houston TSA like that, too, without a search.

Funny story on the matchbook front.

I always keep spare matches in my golf bag, in a little bag that i keep tees and ball markers in, just in case i need to light a cigar or something. Last year on a golf trip, unbenown to me, TSA had opened my hard golf bag travel case, opened my golf bag, found and opened the little bag with the matches in it, ripped the matches out of the two books i had in there and then put the empty matchbooks back in the little bag, put the little bag back in my golf bag and sealed the whole works back up in the hard travel case.

I reach for the matches on a course, find no matches in the book one and think ... thats kinda weird .... oh well, i know i have another book in there. Reaching for book two, i find no matches there either. Now i'm think one of my buddies is messin with me. It took a couple seconds to make the connection and start laughing my rear off at what had happened. I thought putting the empty matchbooks back in the bag was a very nice touch.

I felt much safer flying at that very moment. :wink:

I felt much safer flying at that very moment.
They didn't leave their little flyer...? :11:

This TSA URL
http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_multi_image_with_table_0099.xml
says you can bring safety matches into the cabin, and you can place empty lighters in checked luggage. No other matches or lighters allowed.

But if you go here
http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?content=090005198013de87
you’ll find the exemption archman mentioned, allowing up to two fueled Zippo lighters in their special containers. Note that no other brand is mentioned. I wonder about Zippo knock-offs.

So now matches in the cabin, empty lighters in the cargo hold, and fueled Zippo lighters in special containers in the cargo hold.

Will all the inspectors know all this, along with the myriad other rules? Perhaps you should print out the rules (with the source URL prominent) and place a copy with any questionable item.

DandyDon:
They didn't leave their little flyer...? :11:

Yeah, they did but like i said i didn't make the connection right away and i thought putting the empty matchbooks back in was a little strange.

TCDiver1:
I always keep spare matches in my golf bag, in a little bag that i keep tees and ball markers in, just in case i need to light a cigar or something.

As a side note... Cigar cutters (as long as the blade is encased in the cutter) are legal to bring as carry on.

I just flew again today... with 2 lighters and a pack of matches. Carried on.

howarde:
I just flew again today... with 2 lighters and a pack of matches. Carried on.
Hey...! :11: I pay $10 extra per ticket for the TSA people. Why didn't they cuff you...?!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom