New training and diving site

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's a write up I just finished for our club newsletter:

The Dive Stop:
STL's newest (and only) dive location…

I mentioned at the last meeting that there is a quarry that will soon be opening in the St Louis area. I did a little research and here's what I found…

The Quarry is located in New Melle, MO, which is about 30 minutes West of St Charles on Highway Z. From my house, mapquest sez it is 38 miles away, and I should get there in 45minutes. In other words, you could do a dive on Saturday morning, go home for lunch, and come back for an afternoon dive. Not that you would, but you could. The quarry is owned by Dave Cruz, and he has a myspace website set up for the quarry at MySpace.com - Dive Stop - 45 - Male - New Melle, Missouri - www.myspace.com/divestop Unfortunately, you need a myspace account to get to most of the useful information, but they have some photos and a bunch of updates if you want to check it out. To save you the trouble, here's all the good info I could find:

The Dive Stop is going to be open starting April 12, 2008, and Dave will be hosting an open house on April 5th for any Divemasters or Instructors that are interested in checking out the new quarry. The Open House will run from 9am-4pm, and you will be required to present your instructor or Divemaster card at the door to gain admission. The quarry opens April 12th to the diving masses, and will be open Wed-Sun at 8am daily. Temps at the quarry sound pretty similar to what you might expect in Arkansas. Currently, it is 50 degrees at 60', and 56 degrees at the surface. That is about 10 degrees warmer than Mermet. Since it's shallower, it should get pretty comfortable during the summer.

The quarry is just getting up and running, so I would not expect the same sort of facilities as Mermet has, but so far the website reports: Two Training Docks, A Training Platform at 20 ft., Three Canopy Covered Areas with tables, Air Fill station, and a Picnic Area. In the Quarry, they have a 32 ft. Cabin Cruiser, 16ft boat, Dodge Truck, Ford Truck, Motorcycle, Car and many other 'items'. The Quarry has Turtles, Bass, Crappie, Bluegill and even a Beaver. Entry Fee is $25.00, and air fills are $7.00 each. Discount Entry fees for Open Water Courses ( $35.00 for weekend OW, per student), and discounts on Air Fills For Your Open Water Students are available. The quarry also offers Free Entry for Divemasters and Instructors, although I assume this only applies when you are bringing a class.

I called up Dave, and he was very friendly, and answered my questions. If you are interested, you can reach the owner at:

(636) 299-2654
MySpace.com - Dive Stop - 45 - Male - New Melle, Missouri - www.myspace.com/divestop
The Dive Stop P.O.Box 157, Highway Z New Melle, MO. 63365

If anyone is interested in checking this place out, I plan on heading there sometime in April, but its close enough I could be convinced to go just about anytime.

I plan on being there on the 5th, and will post my opinion and review of the quarry. I'm looking forward to this.

I plan on being there on the 5th, and will post my opinion and review of the quarry. I'm looking forward to this.

Cool, I look forward to the review...

Thanks
Phil

Entry Fee is $25.00................ A little bit high...........

But you can get there and back on $15 gas vs $100 for Mermet

Hello,
Thank you b1gcountry for the post. Sorry I have not keep up with the board here. As you know a new business is an all out time consuming deal. We post most, if not all on our myspace. MySpace.com - Dive Stop - 45 - Male - New Melle, Missouri - www.myspace.com/divestop We are working hard on the .com and should have it up soon.

We will be working in the next few months to better the site, Since 1968 you can understand that our site has been abused a little, We will be working hard to make this the "BEST" in the area. So look for improvements daily and monthly. We have already put in two parking lots, canopies, docks, storage unit for compressor, office trailer and a road. Utilities will be in this week. In the next few months, we will be putting in camping sites, trail's for hiking, picnic area, larger parking lots, and more canopies.
With all the rain the vis is down to 15 to 20 ft. that was Weds the 2nd of April. Temp was 63 on top and a nice chilly 42 at 30 ft. Last week ( Before the rain) Viz was 35 and temp was 65 on top and 45 at 30 ft. Now last Summer, The temp on top was in the 80's and at 60 ft it was 75.

I will try to answer all the question that I saw ( Sorry if i miss any)
The Dive Stop will be open to all for diving. Look for an opening of April 12, 2008 Entry fee is 25.00, I saw a blog that that was a little high, We have done our homework and that is in the range of most others. With insurance cost, We feel that it's inline. Air fills are 7.00. Divemasters and Instructors are free with students. We have a a discount for OW students and are working on a season pass for Divers and a family pass as well.
We will have what we call "Special Days" These days will be for example; Hidden
Treasure day, 1/2 price day, Specility day, and other events.
This weekend April 5th 2008, is open for all Instructors and Divemasters. Entry is free. Must have your C-Card. This is to introduce the site and get a feel of how it will go. for opening.
At this point we are a little behind (10 inches of rain will do that) But we will be ready.
If I missed anything. (Grammer or a question) Please use the contact info below.
Thanks and see you there
D.Cruz

If you would like to contact us.
(636) 299-2654
Dive-stop@charter.net

P.O.Box 157
3960 Hwy Z
New Melle, MO. 63365

But you can get there and back on $15 gas vs $100 for Mermet

:D

From me, there is no difference on gas. :wink:

BTW, it is always good to have another dive site in a land-locked states.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom