New policy on lionfish in the park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there any enforcement of the marine park rules now? I unknowingly violated the rules last week. I have a small <3" dive knife that lives on my BCD. It went with me for quite a few dives in the park. Neither my DM nor anyone else mentioned anything about it. Before reading this I had no idea dive knifes were not allowed in the park. Granted it's black and lives on the belt strap hidden under the pocket area, so no one would likely see it, I didn't know of any enforcement efforts.

So, I guess my question there is any enforcement, and if not, is a rule without means to enforce meaningful?

I would say it's best to follow the rule of don't ask, don't tell if you don't feel comfortable not having something with you to cut a fishing line if you get tangled up. Some people carry scissors. I see nothing wrong with carrying a small blunt nosed knife and not taking it out unless absolutely neccessary, but your DM might see it otherwise. If asked to remove it, I definitely wouldn't argue. Rules are rules, and some times they're actually enforced.

I'm also not a big fan of the no gloves rule, but considering that some divers when wearing gloves find it impossible to not touch everything in sight, we all have to suffer. I never molest the sea life, gloved or not, but thanks to a few bad apples I got a nasty hydroid sting on the back of my hand from a free floating piece of it a couple trips back because I wasn't wearing gloves.

Why should it be only up to DMs to do this? You could argue that some divers, having come a long way and great expense to dive aren't going to want to hang out while the DMs police up the park. They may have other things in mind to see and do.

You make an excellent point. Divemasters often need to keep their attention more focused on the divers than on hunting lionfish. Imagine how much more difficult a task DMing will be if we add to the problem by allowing people to be off chasing after lionfish as well. If a DM needs his attention on the divers, I would say that the divers need to be paying an equal, if not greater amount of attention to the DM.

And imagine how frustrating it will be if you came to do a nice dive that was constantly interrupted by the DM having to stop and wait for, or possibly have to coral the other divers who are hunting.

You make an excellent point. Divemasters often need to keep their attention more focused on the divers than on hunting lionfish. Imagine how much more difficult a task DMing will be if we add to the problem by allowing people to be off chasing after lionfish as well. If a DM needs his attention on the divers, I would say that the divers need to be paying an equal, if not greater amount of attention to the DM.

And imagine how frustrating it will be if you came to do a nice dive that was constantly interrupted by the DM having to stop and wait for, or possibly have to coral the other divers who are hunting.

I know I've had fun just watching and photographing DMs catching lionfish. I saw it as a bonus! I wouldn't mind assisting myself, but I think if anyone other than the DMs are going to participate, they should be very experienced divers and should be required to take a not for profit class in the safe methods of catching or killing them.

Imagine how much more difficult a task DMing will be if we add to the problem by allowing people to be off chasing after lionfish as well. If a DM needs his attention on the divers, I would say that the divers need to be paying an equal, if not greater amount of attention to the DM.

Good point, too, and that problem could be overcome by having some boats dedicated to that task (control) and others to sightseeing. And, there are some existing rules that currently apply equally to hunters and sightseers - like don't wander off by yourself, stay with the group. I think it could be easily managed. It's not in my experience that you have to chase lionfish, you come across them, dispatch them and move on.

Good point, too, and that problem could be overcome by having some boats dedicated to that task (control) and others to sightseeing. And, there are some existing rules that currently apply equally to hunters and sightseers - like don't wander off by yourself, stay with the group. I think it could be easily managed. It's not in my experience that you have to chase lionfish, you come across them, dispatch them and move on.

I believe I see your point, but in a practical, every day situation i don't think it will ring true. It is already hard enough on many days to keep people from "wandering off". Photographers routinely fall well behind groups, and often well behind their buddies also, so they can get that all important photo. Most day I am reminding photographers to not grab the reef/sponges to steady themselves. I have no faith that the hunters would be any better behaved. Also, with the currents that occur here, you do not have to go anywhere to have "wandered off", just stop on Tunich for a few minutes to dispatch a lionfish, and the group will be long gone when you look up again. If the group is going to stay together, find, and then dispatch a lionfish, it makes sense to have one person in the group be the person to do it. That person should be trained and properly equipped. If people aren't going to "wander off" from the group there is no need for more than one person to do the hunting.

If people aren't going to "wander off" from the group there is no need for more than one person to do the hunting.

Oh, you just wait. Population densities on Cozumel are just beginning, embryonic. You haven't seen the future yet. Take a trip to Nassau, hop on a boat, jump in the water and take a look around. When the reefs are crawling with lionfish you're going to need all the help you can get. My suggestions are geared towards that eventuality and it's real and happening right now elsewhere. I think what I'm saying will make more sense in a year or two. Stand by.....

Next time I see a lionfish in my 48f degree Pacific NW waters, I'm going to kill it - maybe even eat it.

But, they are beautiful and masterful hunters and I enjoy watching them follow me around on night dives in the Indian Ocean waters. You have to be careful not to use your light to point out the sleeping fish to your dive buddies - that light is a "death ray" as the lionfish follow it and inhale the sleepers. :)

I dive a lot. I dive with anyone. Experienced, inexperienced, good at it, not good at it, (diving that is) I love to dive. Like a lot of people that are addicted to diving I have honed my skills and knowledge of the skill/sport.

I love using my camera/video setups. I love to hunt.
I have found that in order to use these tools I needed to get very, very good at bouyancy skills. I dove almost 200 dives without either to hone my dive skills. Only fish are better than me now:D. (outside of techskills)
So for you Kari I missed a few the other day because they went into holes that if I shot I would have likely hit the coral head so I didnt shoot. EVERY OTHER SHOT I TOOK did not hit a single thing other than through the fish. You see one needs to know how far the sling will go past the fish in order to do that. I practised at Villa Blanca on plastic water bottles first. Also I was trained by the best of the best at the art. I can think of a lot of other dms I'd like to out and play with doing this. Truly most want to just dive, they do this to save their reef. Most feel bad about killing the animals because it's a life. We talk about this believe it or not. But their show is in jeopardy. What really gets me is outsiders slamming them for keeping the reef from being decimated. There are rules and the park is freaking out on how to suitably fix this. But money hungry folk see a dollar here. So now the park has to deal with them. Instead of being happy with the way it's been going the park is forced a hand. They know we are doing a service, they also know that the past year has literally been saved by many of us. Do you know how many slings the dms could afford? We divers that love this place and come here alot bring these to them so they can do it other wise they would not buy them. They would make them. As I have seen the elf tool hand made. I think it is a real poor sense of integrity to say they invented it. I can have a hundred of them made at likely 5$ each by guys on the island. I will buy the material. It's easier using the sling, at least for me. And several that have tried that tool.
Kari, Rodive I leave Saturday at 2pm otherwise I'd go to this crap show/propaganda play. I cannot believe for a second that you Matthew need to do a certification to learn how to use this tool. I will teach you for free. Likely do a better job too, maybe show you some upsidedown maneuvers that are pretty cool. This is used in the swim throughs. Also I'll teach you how to hit them will drifting along, teach you about the way water refracts images. hmm you likely already know that. I am being factious about that last line as I am upset you are playing into their hand.
I have talked to two people that this tool was taken to for sale, they where turned down because of the cost. This is a business venture and it is turned into a disguise reef preservation ploy. The poor park guys are caught in the middle.
By the way I went to the reef project the other night for turning the park into a UNESCO SITE. How come you wherent there rodive if your all preservation minded?
Leave well alone, the park is loved by the people that work it. Not everyone is allowed to use the killing tools.
What I would like you to do is put it out there to stop allowing photography by 50% of the divers. Way way more damage being done there. Now do you think that is going to happen? Not likely no money in that. But there is a cert card for photography.

firstdive2005:
Hey man, lets meet today! Where can I find you before you leave? I honestly was never informed about the UNESCO thing nor do I feel my presence would have affected it either way. I will assure you that I wont critize it if I didn't attend. And chances are I would assume the people of the Marine Park know what they are talking about and when they ask us to do something for the UNSECO thing. I will also assume it will be in the best interest of all of us. Until I can have all the scoop and make my own descision. Why not meet up tonight somewhere just to go over the basics. I am sure you have plenty to tell me. I am sure you are not a bad person and I wish to meet you to just for you get some of your ideas out there tomorrow.

How does photography damage the reef? I have never heard that said before. Or are you just talking about how divers with poor buoyancy control damage things while maneuvering for a picture?

Back
Top Bottom