New policy on lionfish in the park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I disagree that I am missing the point, but I suppose that is dependant on what you think the point is. Since the marine park will be paying for the tools, it seems only reasonable that they should get to decide what those tools will be. Let's give them the benefit of the doubt, that they have done some research and made an informed decision. It may not be the decision that everyone else would have made, but it was their decision to make. Let me restate that; it is THEIR decision to make.

Let me be a little more clear and concise about what I and I believe many others feel the point is. (See first post) I feel money could be much better spent on spears other than the ELT, that cost 1/4 or less and are just as effective, if not more so at a distance and with larger lionfish. I have no problem with non-DM's and approved divers not being allowed to spear in the marine park.

As for it being the marine park's decision, that is true, but they apparently are NOT paying for this on their own, or we wouldn't be talking about a fund raiser.

You can give them the benefit of the doubt all you want but I question the decision process in going with the ELT, and anyone who might want to donate to the cause has every right to do so. We are talking about Mexico, after all... And anyone that has lived there, not to mention done business, knows how these things go..

Let me be a little more clear and concise about what I and I believe many others feel the point is. (See first post) I feel money could be much better spent on spears other than the ELT, that cost 1/4 or less and are just as effective, if not more so at a distance and with larger lionfish. I have no problem with non-DM's and approved divers not being allowed to spear in the marine park.

As for it being the marine park's decision, that is true, but they apparently are NOT paying for this on their own, or we wouldn't be talking about a fund raiser.

You can give them the benefit of the doubt all you want but I question the decision process in going with the ELT, and anyone who might want to donate to the cause has every right to do so. We are talking about Mexico, after all... And anyone that has lived there, not to mention done business, knows how these things go..

The ELF Tool will be bought by the Marine Park. For those who think that they will be helping out some inside friend here, let me kill the suspense and tell you that the Marine Park is receiving a considerably higher than 50% discount per ELF Tool purchase. I do not want to disclose what the ELF Tool cost is because it is not my business and I feel that it is thier descision not mine to disclose.
I hope this info helps! :D

FWIW, on our recent trip we only saw 1 lion fish. Compared to my trip to Curacao, I'm convinced that the Cozumel hunting of them is having a positive effect on the numbers. Will it eradicate them? No probably not, but there are a heck of a lot less in Cozumel than there are on other reefs without the encouraged hunting of them.

I agree. Legislation is always the answer. Common folk taking up arms against these invaders? What nonsense! We need trained professionals armed with the latest in precision weaponary. We're talking spears with lots of kick-back.

You were clear the first time. No clarification necessary. Your point is well made. That does not make your opinion any more valid in this issue, since it simply is not your decision to make.

And I would suggest that you are wrong that it is the right of anyone who "might want to donate to the cause" to question the decision. It would be the right of anyone who is forced to pay to a cause, but that is not the case here. This is the one decision that is your's to make. Donate or don't. Come to Cozumel or don't. These are things that are clearly in your control.

Wow, had no idea this would generate so much interest so quickly. I posted it because it was news to me and wanted to see what others had heard.

For what it's worth (2 cents?, maybe less?), my opinion is the park belongs to the people of Cozumel and Mexico and they get to set the rules as they see fit. We, as tourists, are guests in their house and should abide by their rules or stay out of the water.

Sounds like you guys (Rodive and Firstdive2005) have a date tomorrow, at 9 p.m. at Senor Frogs. I hope you both attend, and that you both post about the discussion you will have!

kari

This has certainly been a lively discussion and I only wish I could be at Senor Frogs to participate. I agree with kari that the minutes should be posted so that us less fortunates can see what happens during the discussions. For what it's worth, I think that the concept is a good one but $400 for one overpriced sling and a PADI certification isn't going to get the kind of traction with the diving public to make a difference in protecting the park, which, after all, is what this is about, not selling goods and services. This is, essentially, volunteer work and volunteers can be properly trained and equipped to do this safely and effectively for about a hundred bucks. Any more than that or anything more difficult or restrictive and people will just do what they always do and dive for as long as there's still something to see. In fact, the government, to protect the revenue stream coming in from the divers, ought to be subsidizing these efforts and not trying to make a buck off of the good intentions of people willing to do their work for them. Good concept, poor execution. Only the marketers and the lionfish will win this way.

Last edited:
From reading the original info - "All ELF tools will be property of the Cozumel Marine Park" .... does that mean they'll be signing them out, and hopefully the DMs won't have to buy them? It does seem counter-productive to ban the use of already proven items like the Hawaiian sling, which so many DM's carry already. And PADI, rather than trying to make money off a new course should be providing it for free to help with the problem.

Like everyone else, I'll be interested to hear the details from the meeting!

So for years PADI was not advocating hunting, and now "invited to take the PADI lion fish hunter specialty course". I don't know whether I'm laughing, screaming, or cursing. "PADI lion fish hunter specialty course" - I hope this is a free public service, and no plastic card given to some idiot who can now claim that he is a "professional hunter", and puts his/her "Professional Hunter" patch right next to his/her "Master Diver" patch. Good Gravy!!!! What a farce!!!

By the way, I did get my original training from PADI and my son is a PADI Instructor (in "retirement" :) and going to college) - and their Rescue Diver course that I took years ago was fantastic (thank you Eugene Skin Divers Supply).

Anyways, Kill those lionfish - put us back into the food chain. No fish hugger/kissers allowed here! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom