New diver stuck between 2 computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I’m gonna stick with the cobra then. It was easier for me to learn anyways. And I do want to get trim if certed and hopefully cave certed but those questions will be asked when I’m closer to that time in my life. I’m sure technology will advance by then. Are any of you guys familiar with any dove sites in Michigan close to Monroe? I’ve been to gilboa in Ohio and am diving white star in 2 weeks but some closer to home would be nice.
There's plenty of time to spend more money on dive kit. A shiny new computer's nice to have, but by no means essential when you're diving within or close to the NDLs. If moving on to decompression diving then consider a Shearwater as part of the cost of doing that kind of diving. Avoid the Suuntos et al that don't have Buhllmann algorithms as it's hard to plan and the planning software's very limited.

Do your buddies on your deco dives also dive Suunto? If not, how do you plan your dives? Out of ignorance, does Suunto have a deco planner with gas switches? Sorry, don't know that much about standard Suunto RGBM algorithm.
Suunto does have deco dive planning software. It's the same software you use to download your dives on computers like the Vyper Novo et al. It's very basic, but it does allow technical dive planning with gas switches etc. I don't like the user interface as much as iDeco or Deco Planner. Just my .02

Well I’m gonna stick with the cobra then. It was easier for me to learn anyways. And I do want to get trim if certed and hopefully cave certed but those questions will be asked when I’m closer to that time in my life. I’m sure technology will advance by then. Are any of you guys familiar with any dove sites in Michigan close to Monroe? I’ve been to gilboa in Ohio and am diving white star in 2 weeks but some closer to home would be nice.

I'd really consider getting a different computer with your aspirations. I'd steer you towards the Garmin Descent Mk2i, but it's probably overkill right now...Like it's brother the Shearwater Terir/Perdix/etc. But, I'd look into something that is going to grow with you and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. We started with the Suunto Vyper Novo and it was a great computer for us starting out. Now, I don't like Suunto's decompression algorithm, I prefer Buhlmann ZHL 16c with gradient factors which is why we upgraded to the Garmin Mk2i.

Seth

Do a search on suunto, they have quality control and customer service issues.

There is one and only one brand I recommend avoiding...... Suunto

The i550 runs PZ+, a moderate deco algorithm. The Suunto runs Suunto RGBM, also a moderate deco algorithm, If you like your deco algorithm, either would be fine. If you would like a more liberal algorithm, there are other computers that would serve you well.
I feel that it's much more complicated than that and I'm not sure I'd paint with such a broad brushstroke. The differences between RGBM and Buhlmann (I'm assuming this is the one you are talking about) are rather large. Making the decision between the two is far more than just conservative vs. liberal (Not political). Personally, I'd consider Buhlmann to be more modular, as the user has much more control on their own personal deco. Granted, in the rec environment I'd imagine everything is 'about' equal. I've switched to the Garmin Mk2i on Buhlmann diving 40/85 gradient factors on our last trip and I used my Suunto Vyper Novo as a backup. The NDLs were almost identical. However, on my Garmin I can adjust to 30/70 (Shearwater's preferred GF) and everything in between depending on what I'm doing, conditions, and dive planning. On Suunto you have two things you can change, altitude and conservatism/diver profile. Garmin automatically adjusts to altitude based upon it's GPS and barometer.

Just my .02

Seth

Some facts. Buhllmann + Gradient Factors is by far and away the most common diving decompression algorithm used by the vast majority of experienced divers and especially those who perform decompression dives. Some may use other proprietary algorithms, but they're incompatible with Buhllmann.

There's a large choice of planning and logging software for Buhllmann. There's little or no choice for the others except for the underwhelming planners they provide.

The dive community has pretty much reached a consensus on Buhllmann, following years of wrangling over deep stops and bubble models.

Even Suunto now offer a choice of algorithms -- Buhllmann and their other proprietary ones -- in their high-end computers simply because technical divers would not use Suunto.

The vast majority of dive computers use Buhllmann + GF; only a couple of, admittedly large volume, manufacturers stick to their proprietary algorithms.

This topic matters far more to people who exceed the Non Decompression Limits and especially if diving in a team or buddy pairs.

My personal preference:
Would not pay for gadget ie. nothing to do with diving eg Blue Tooth.
RGBM is to be avoided.
Computer should last quite a while. My Uwatec Aladin is 24yrs old.
Two cheapo are better than one expensive one. Two is one and one is none.
Leisure Pro:
Aqualung i100 is $230.00, Oceanic Geo 2.0 is $260.00. Total $490.00.
i550 is $615.00!!! Better off with SW Peregrine for $495.00 at DGX.

Bluetooth is the mutts nuts. A Shearwater is set to start Bluetooth and your phone downloads all the dive details (to the excellent Shearwater cloud application) and can even update the software on the Shearwater computer.

It's so simple. Just works.

Hi @seth0687

PZ+ is a proprietary version of Buhlmann written by Pelagic Pressure Systems and first used as a second algorithm on Oceanic and Aeris computers, a more conservative option to DSAT. Very little is known regarding the details of this algorithm. The single conservative setting simply raises the altitude from 0-3000 feet to 3001-4000 feet.

Suunto RGBM is also proprietary and secretive. It turns out that both PZ+ and Suunto RGBM run somewhere around a Buhlmann GF high of 85. It has been discussed extensively on SB how the Suunto algorithm penalizes the diver with a lower NDL when the diver violates poorly defined rules.

I would not dive either of these algorithms, however, they serve many divers just fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom