New diver stuck between 2 computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi @seth0687

PZ+ is a proprietary version of Buhlmann written by Pelagic Pressure Systems and first used as a second algorithm on Oceanic and Aeris computers, a more conservative option to DSAT. Very little is known regarding the details of this algorithm. The single conservative setting simply raises the altitude from 0-3000 feet to 3001-4000 feet.

Suunto RGBM is also proprietary and secretive. It turns out that both PZ+ and Suunto RGBM run somewhere around a Buhlmann GF high of 85. It has been discussed extensively on SB how the Suunto algorithm penalizes the diver with a lower NDL when the diver violates poorly defined rules.

I would not dive either of these algorithms, however, they serve many divers just fine.
Agreed, that's why I made the jump to Garmin :)

There is much to be said for having two computers and using both each dive, especially if on a trip in the piney woods where replacement is not immediate. I have had more than once a computer failure and on a recent trip down SoFla way on several dive trips out a diver had a computer failure, mostly AI fails (and no spg), but dead computers as well including myself. Two cheap units are better than one expensive dead unit.

James

Computer failure is quite common and I have experienced twice while under water. Some divers still asking me why I am using two!

I give an example that occured with my brand new Peregrine from Shearwater. First dive out of the box as I put it on the strap broke as we were going in. No worries, my old back up Subsea was ticking away! It's strap somehow seems not to have broken in hundreds of dives.

James

So an update. I against my better judgement took back the aqualung i550. And what a mistake. Went down to bonne terre with it. Ended up canceling my first dive because it shut off down around 30 ft at the beginning of my dive. It’s back at the “aqualung dealer” according to the bog LDS here. (L.P. Mi) no faith that I’m gonna get one that works or get mine replaced. So I’m saving up for a perdix ai. I have a spg that I have hooked to my regs now. So that worse case scenario I could still see my air. Thanks for all the advice. Unfortunately it didn’t work out for me.

So an update. I against my better judgement took back the aqualung i550. And what a mistake. Went down to bonne terre with it. Ended up canceling my first dive because it shut off down around 30 ft at the beginning of my dive. It’s back at the “aqualung dealer” according to the bog LDS here. (L.P. Mi) no faith that I’m gonna get one that works or get mine replaced. So I’m saving up for a perdix ai. I have a spg that I have hooked to my regs now. So that worse case scenario I could still see my air. Thanks for all the advice. Unfortunately it didn’t work out for me.

Hi @Gbair89, I believe the Perdix is total overkill for you. The needs of divers, from OW to tech, are:
(1) air management -> (2) nitrox management -> (3) accelerated deco management -> (4) trimix/heliox management.
Some extra skills exist for rebreathers, but I'll keep them out of this discussion since you are pretty new to diving.

Any computer can do (1) ad (2), while not all can do (3) and (4). However, (3) is the first step of tech diving, which is far from where you are now.

If you plan to be a tech diver very soon, let's say, in one year, then I might understand the Perdix, which is a computer that can do everything. But becoming a tech diver in one year requires:
[1] a massive amount of time (I believe that you may be a tech diver AFTER 100 dives if you are very talented);
[2] a gigantic pocket (you need to buy equipment, you should travel a lot to get the right experiences, and you need to pay for the right instructor).
Therefore, it is unrealistic for most people to become tech divers early.

A lower-end computer would probably be better if you don't have the time and/or money to begin tech diving soon. In this case, the most important things that you need to consider are:
1 - the deco algorithm, although I want to skip this one because {A} rec divers usually have limited knowledge of deco theory and {B} the impact of algorithms in recreational diving is often limited;
2 - how easy they are to read (including brightness);
3 - how much user-friendly they are.

I have zero experience with rec computers for several reasons, so I cannot suggest anything. But, if you like the newest shiny toys, probably the peregrine would be a better choice than the Perdix. However, let me say what I honestly believe: 99.99% of recreational divers could do very well with a very cheap computer**.

Last thing: if you like the Perdix just because, by all means, go for it. Just be aware that it is useless for you and that you should better not modify the parameters without knowing what you are doing.

**To give you an idea, I never had to use a computer in my recent (3years) diving, not even for technical dives, although I have one for safety reasons (the best is actually to have two, so please do not learn from me). I am a believer that learning to plan and manage a dive without a computer is the best approach, but it's my point of view and by no means the best in general - just the best for me :)

I also agree the perdix is overkill. If I was getting a new computer now, I’d get the Garmin G1 or the peregrine (which is what I have). The G1 looks awesome.

Perdix is certainly overkill but I guess it‘d be the ultimate “buy once cry once” move. I’m in a similar situation and the only Shearwater I’d be looking at is the Peregrine. AquaLung i330R, Atmos Mission 1 are a couple others I’d look at. The i330R looks like a baby Peregrine for $100 or so less, with a couple less features.

Perdix is certainly overkill but I guess it‘d be the ultimate “buy once cry once” move.

Not really; technology evolves, and it might be obsolete in a couple of years.

For example, Azoth is launching dive computers that use artificial intelligence and bubble measurements to adjust deco:

There is a bit of discussion about it on the forum too:

Right now, I think it is more a toy than something serious, but in a few years, it might become a significant help for technical divers. And other features might arrive as well (even just some different type of batteries, connection with the computer or other external apparatus, etc.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom