New diver stuck between 2 computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looking to pick up a Peregrine soon. Do you mind sharing how you set up your bungee mount?
I tied two separate pieces of cord. Redundancy.

Attachments

• 1650925206698-1615122225.jpg
    1650925206698-1615122225.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 55
Thanks. How do you know how long to make each bungee? Is it trial and error?
Pretty much. There's a fair amount of room for error since it stretches, and you can slide it up your arm if it is too loose. Keep in mind your arm is probably a bit narrower near the wrist. For what it's worth, I tied mine too loosely at first and tightened it up after a few dives. Not a big deal, just don't cut off too much cord (even that is not _such_ a big deal if you have a reasonable dive shop near by).

Looking to pick up a Peregrine soon. Do you mind sharing how you set up your bungee mount?
Here is how I did mine. I use a plastic clip to allow me to change the length of the bungees. I usually dive in a drysuit and therefore need extra room, but when I go to Okinawa in summer and dive in a thin wetsuit I want it shorter. This allows me control the length. If one side of the bungee breaks, the other side is there for redundancy. If the plastic clip breaks, the knots at the end should prevent it from completely separating from my wrist.

Attachments

• 6F0574DA-84B5-44A1-A3C6-50F14FE28828.jpeg
    6F0574DA-84B5-44A1-A3C6-50F14FE28828.jpeg
    135.3 KB · Views: 56
Here is how I did mine. I use a plastic clip to allow me to change the length of the bungees. I usually dive in a drysuit and therefore need extra room, but when I go to Okinawa in summer and dive in a thin wetsuit I want it shorter. This allows me control the length. If one side of the bungee breaks, the other side is there for redundancy. If the plastic clip breaks, the knots at the end should prevent it from completely separating from my wrist.
That's a great solution for adjustability. For me in particular I dive only tropically so probably wouldn't need to adjust much after initial fit.

One last question: What diameter bungee should I use for the Peregrine...1/8"? 1/4"?

So an update. I against my better judgement took back the aqualung i550. And what a mistake. Went down to bonne terre with it. Ended up canceling my first dive because it shut off down around 30 ft at the beginning of my dive. It’s back at the “aqualung dealer” according to the bog LDS here. (L.P. Mi) no faith that I’m gonna get one that works or get mine replaced. So I’m saving up for a perdix ai. I have a spg that I have hooked to my regs now. So that worse case scenario I could still see my air. Thanks for all the advice. Unfortunately it didn’t work out for me.
It's too bad things didn't work out with your old computer. You made a great choice going with the Perdix. I dive with a Perdix and it is "overkill" for the diving I'm doing now which is air and nitrox recreational diving. At one time I was considering technical diving so I would have needed the Perdix. Since then my situation has changed where I may not get into technical diving at all. I disagree with posters who say the Perdix is useless for recreational diving -- it is not. It works fine for recreational dives. It might be overkill but so what. If you can afford it then who cares and it could be the last computer you ever own for any kind of diving you do now or may do in the future.

Some posters mentioned the merits or demerits of various algorithms. The Perdix (including AI) can support 3 algorithms: (1) Buhlmann with GF's (gradient factors), (2) VPM-B (with or without GFHi), and (3) DCIEM (a Canadian research model designed for commercial divers but adapted for recreational/technical use). The Perdix comes with Buhlmann GF's as standard. For about $80 you can unlock VPM-B which is a bubble model. For the rather pricy $350 you can also unlock DCIEM. Options 2 and 3 are not available on the Teric and Peregrine models.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom