New diver stuck between 2 computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gbair89

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone. I’m a new diver freshly certed 2 months ago. I bought all of my own equipment while going through my OW course so I would be best outfitted to succeed on every dive. One item I bought used was my aqualung i550 dive computer. Loved it when I got it. Outfitted a compass to it. Was suuuper excited to transfer my dives to my phone with the Bluetooth. It was hard to figure out but I had about 5 months till the weather would break for my open water dives. I got up to two weeks before my dives and I jump in the pool at my LDS. And it won’t turn on. Knowing very little about how these work I thought maybe I have to be at 5 ft before it would “water activate”. It did not. After a minute or two and still nothing I came up and walked it to the owner of the shop. Changed the battery. Tested it. Nothing. So LDS owner lets me borrow a used suunto cobra 3 while I wait for the i550 to come back from the vendor. Fast forward to 8 open water dives later. I like the cobra 3. I was given the choice to keep it if I like it. Well I figured out how to use it. And I do like it. But I also like my i550. I know there is a lot of unneeded back story here but what computer would be better for a new diver that’s trying to be AOW by next year. Are there downsides to them? Upsides? Anyone with any experience with these computers would be greatly helpful.
Thanks and happy diving y’all

I have owned a Suunto Cobra 1 for about 20 years and it is still going strong.

The i550 runs PZ+, a moderate deco algorithm. The Suunto runs Suunto RGBM, also a moderate deco algorithm, If you like your deco algorithm, either would be fine. If you would like a more liberal algorithm, there are other computers that would serve you well.

So being that I am new I do appreciate the input. I want to stay on the safe side of diving of course but trying to find the computer that works for what I want to do is a challenge because I don’t understand them. Seems like both would be a good choice. But I want to try and get my AOW by next year. And I want to focus on Nav and limited visibility. Which one in your opinions would be better for that? And eventually after I’m guessing ten years or so get into wreck penetrating and cavern and then cave diving. I know it’s a bit ambitious:p but that’s what is so much fun for me here. I don’t know anything or anyone in the scuba industry and learning from people and talking to people is awesome. Thanks for the replies. And any more info in any regards diving would be appreciated.

Either one will be fine for what you’re doing now. Pick whichever you like more. All dove computers will work and keep you safe at this level. In the future if you plan to get into technical diving you’ll need a new computer (basically), but until then these will do fine.

So being that I am new I do appreciate the input. I want to stay on the safe side of diving of course but trying to find the computer that works for what I want to do is a challenge because I don’t understand them. Seems like both would be a good choice. But I want to try and get my AOW by next year. And I want to focus on Nav and limited visibility. Which one in your opinions would be better for that? And eventually after I’m guessing ten years or so get into wreck penetrating and cavern and then cave diving. I know it’s a bit ambitious:p but that’s what is so much fun for me here. I don’t know anything or anyone in the scuba industry and learning from people and talking to people is awesome. Thanks for the replies. And any more info in any regards diving would be appreciated.
I don't know anything about the i550. I have been diving 22 years and am Rescue, Advanced Nitrox/ Decompression Procedures certified and my Cobra has never missed a beat. Either one will do just fine but I would ask what the dive shop what the problem was with the i550 and will it happen again. The only reason you would need to upgrade either computer is if you get Trimix certified.

I don't know anything about the i550. I have been diving 22 years and am Rescue, Advanced Nitrox/ Decompression Procedures certified and my Cobra has never missed a beat. Either one will do just fine but I would ask what the dive shop what the problem was with the i550 and will it happen again. The only reason you would need to upgrade either computer is if you get Trimix certified.
Do your buddies on your deco dives also dive Suunto? If not, how do you plan your dives? Out of ignorance, does Suunto have a deco planner with gas switches? Sorry, don't know that much about standard Suunto RGBM algorithm.

Well I’m gonna stick with the cobra then. It was easier for me to learn anyways. And I do want to get trim if certed and hopefully cave certed but those questions will be asked when I’m closer to that time in my life. I’m sure technology will advance by then. Are any of you guys familiar with any dove sites in Michigan close to Monroe? I’ve been to gilboa in Ohio and am diving white star in 2 weeks but some closer to home would be nice.

Back
Top Bottom