New diver stuck between 2 computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So an update. I against my better judgement took back the aqualung i550. And what a mistake. Went down to bonne terre with it. Ended up canceling my first dive because it shut off down around 30 ft at the beginning of my dive. It’s back at the “aqualung dealer” according to the bog LDS here. (L.P. Mi) no faith that I’m gonna get one that works or get mine replaced. So I’m saving up for a perdix ai. I have a spg that I have hooked to my regs now. So that worse case scenario I could still see my air. Thanks for all the advice. Unfortunately it didn’t work out for me.
I would seriously look at the Ratio iX3M Easy. Exact same style as the perdix but only has Air, Nitrox and Gauge mode and 2 settable gases. This all you will need unless you are planning on using trimix, 5 gases or a rebreather in the near future. Ratio Dive Computers - iX3M [Pro] Easy

You can also pick up a garmin MK1 for a discount since the new models have come out. I am picking up a perdix and only am a recreational diver. For 3 reasons in order of importance. 1. Readability 2. Reliability 3. User battery changing with single AA.

Probably overkill, but must of scuba is:)

You can also pick up a garmin MK1 for a discount since the new models have come out. I am picking up a perdix and only am a recreational diver. For 3 reasons in order of importance. 1. Readability 2. Reliability 3. User battery changing with single AA.
I have an MK1, nd I don't suggest it for diving except if one also needs an advanced sports watch and has money issues.

Probably overkill, but must of scuba is
I mean, if you like it, why not; just be aware that it is totally useless for you in terms of diving. But diving is a hobby -> in the end, we do what we like :)

I have an MK1, nd I don't suggest it for diving except if one also needs an advanced sports watch and has money issues.

I mean, if you like it, why not; just be aware that it is totally useless for you in terms of diving. But diving is a hobby -> in the end, we do what we like :)
It is hard to find screens that are readable from companies that I would buy from. The single AA battery I can’t find elsewhere either.

The MK1 is pretty readable, simple to adjust and has a pretty good log book. Compared to my previous computers that were all oceanic wrist models it works the same with better screen and great compass. I haven’t messed with smart watch portion, still use my Apple.

It is hard to find screens that are readable from companies that I would buy from. The single AA battery I can’t find elsewhere either.

The MK1 is pretty readable, simple to adjust and has a pretty good log book. Compared to my previous computers that were all oceanic wrist models it works the same with better screen and great compass. I haven’t messed with smart watch portion, still use my Apple.

Fair enough :)

Reasons why I don't like it:
1 - small
2 - not very bright
3 - I often involuntary press some buttons (this happens because of a design not adapted to diving; however, I think it also happens because I use a trilaminate dry suit - with a wet suit it is probably ok)
4 - temperature sensor not very accurate

But if these are not issues, why not :)

Fair enough :)

Reasons why I don't like it:
1 - small
2 - not very bright
3 - I often involuntary press some buttons (this happens because of a design not adapted to diving; however, I think it also happens because I use a trilaminate dry suit - with a wet suit it is probably ok)
4 - temperature sensor not very accurate

But if these are not issues, why not :)
The settings allow to turn off the center button most struggle with hitting on accident.

The settings allow to turn off the center button most struggle with hitting on accident.
You see, this is why it is so cool to speak loudly about what we think, we never know what we can discover :)

Would you be so kind as to write to me in private, explaining how to do it or look for it on the Garmin website? (I never found anything helpful in the online material)

EDIT: all the other points stand, and I still wouldn't suggest it only for diving (I believe there exist better options, like the Perdix, although they are probably a bit more expensive than an Mk1 second hand). But that thing was one of the most annoying.

EDIT2: I forgot to mention that the buttons are tiny and hard to press with dry gloves with thick undergarments.

So an update. I against my better judgement took back the aqualung i550. And what a mistake. Went down to bonne terre with it. Ended up canceling my first dive because it shut off down around 30 ft at the beginning of my dive. It’s back at the “aqualung dealer” according to the bog LDS here. (L.P. Mi) no faith that I’m gonna get one that works or get mine replaced. So I’m saving up for a perdix ai. I have a spg that I have hooked to my regs now. So that worse case scenario I could still see my air. Thanks for all the advice. Unfortunately it didn’t work out for me.
If you have an SPG, get a Peregrine. A lot cheaper than a Perdix and will go up to 3 gas. Same Shearwater reliability, the screen is the same size as the Perdix, easy to read. I am cold water drysuit diving with dry-gloves, and the 2 button operation is so easy to use. I put my Peregrine on a bungee mount, not the strap. No compass or AI, but a whole lot cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom