New diver, no diving partner, what do I do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barnacle B- There is a fine gentleman (Sb member NW Greatful Diver)) from the Seattle area coming down for a visit this weekend-there is somewhat of an informal group dive planned..You are welcome to join in the fun!

BTW welcome to the board! If you cant make it on Sat. I would be happy to hook up in the future...

Drew

barnacleben:
oh, he's got a new or different truck, by the way (not a red toyota). but the beer gut and his old, beat up scuba gear is hard to miss...
On Saturday, he had the same old red Mazda pickup with silver tool box in the front of
the bed.

Drewpy:
Barnacle B- There is a fine gentleman (Sb member NW Greatful Diver)) from the Seattle area coming down for a visit this weekend-there is somewhat of an informal group dive planned..You are welcome to join in the fun!

BTW welcome to the board! If you cant make it on Sat. I would be happy to hook up in the future...

Drew
i am looking forward to diving this weekend if i can hook up with a dive buddy or group, "informal" or otherwise.

hope this vis is good!

Ben_ca:
I'm having Jim Ernst - Dive Buddy cards printed out.... :)
:laughing: :lol: :laughing: :lol: :laughing: :lol: :laughing: :lol:

Hi All,

I am a newbie in SF and I am planning on starting diving in Monterey. Since I have no experience in cold water diving, I was planning on going with a local dive club on June 17. Has anyone gone out with the group from California Dive Center in San Bruno?

I am really excited to start in the local waters.

augustg:
Hi All,

I am a newbie in SF and I am planning on starting diving in Monterey. Since I have no experience in cold water diving, I was planning on going with a local dive club on June 17. Has anyone gone out with the group from California Dive Center in San Bruno?
That's a good approach. Make sure they know you are new -- there's some new stuff
to learn. Pay attention to your buoyancy control -- with the thicker suit you need
add and dump air from your BC in bigger doses.

Since you are actually in SF, SF Reef Divers is a bit closer to home.
http://www.sfreefdivers.org/

Okay, so now that I'm certified...

...how do you find dive clubs in the area? I've googled and stuff, but haven't had much luck. :huh:

Also, what shop(s) would you all suggest I rent gear from? Can be anywhere from Hayward on down to Monterey. I really, really don't want an ill fitting or worn out wetsuit and was hoping to rent a 7mil Henderson hyperstretch & 7/5mil hooded vest because that's what I'm thinking about eventually buying.

What shop(s) take their time with 'rentees' and are careful/serious about making sure you're fitted right for the water temps in Monterey?

(Ishie, if you're reading this, did you rent at first? If so, what was your experience? Not to be sexist or anything, but women are shaped differently than men. :wink:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom