New diver, looking to get geared up for about $1000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I started out diving with a back inflate, intregrated weight BCD system. After about 50 dives, I switched over to a Dive Rite BP/W and long 1º and short 2º Reg hose system. Probably the most benificial feature I found was the weight distribution; since I am now able to regulate my vertical center of balance, surface time is no longer a workout. :D

Good luck with your system.

~Michael~

Would the suggestion be to get gear online? Me & my wife are very new with only 2 dives on our plate. We just got certified in Jamaica the other week. We plan to do the two other dives over here in PA to complete the certification for OW. I was recommended a LDS from a local salt water fish forum. I no NOTHING about gear, so I would feel more comfortable having them help me.. but I also don't want to get screwed. I guess I somewhat answered my own question.

(ps. sorry if i thread jacked)

When I was first looking at using a BP/W set up, this link helped me.

Equipment Configuration | Global Underwater Explorers

I thought the article was very helpful.

Next I plan to take a GUE Fundalmental course and learn how to properly use it. I have dived 70+ dives with my BP/W configuration and love it; but I am sure I still have plenty of space for new gray matter behind the mask. :wink:

Email Mike Pederson and tell him about this thread for what you are trying to put together. There might be a couple odds and ends / details to notate in the order.

Specify Octo hose length
Some shock cord to make a bungee necklace
An extra boltsnap ( you need 2; one for the SPG hose and one for the Primary hose )
Some cave line ( can never have too much... Order atleast 6 - 10 feet )

Also try to find a mentor who's familiar with BP/W and long hose rather then traditional vest jacket and regs. He can then help make sure your order goes good, show you how to assemble and tweak it and do some pool work to get everything locked on. If you were in Austin, TX I'd do this in a heartbeat for you.

most places will throw in 10 feet of cave line with a purchase, doesn't hurt to ask.

I generally agree, but it can take a long time waiting for the right deals to come by and having the experience to identify them.

I agree, much better to jump right in and buy new with no clue what you are getting.

If you buy the right gear you will only have to gear up one time.
$1000 buys arguably the best weight integrated BC and a well tested and proven reg system with free service parts for life of the product to the first owner.
Have fun with your research! Many people you will never meet are on internet forms to help you with your decision!
(Sorry I couldn't stop myself!)

I'm not sure if I should go with the 7' hose. I'm not going to be doing any overhead diving in the near future so is it necessary or is it a preferred hose length for reasons other than overhead diving. If I dont go with the 7' hose then what would be a good length for someone 6' 225lbs.

6' 225 is not a little guy. I'm 5'7" 165 and use a 7ft hose with my BPW. I would not go less than 6ft.

And just an FYI :
I include cave line for the bolt snaps. Assembly and testing of the reg and webbing the plate is always included at no charge. I even tie the snaps on and include a basic bungee necklace with a full package. Only thing is I don't sell computers. Yet.

This is fun. If I was starting out and wanted to be outfitted for $1,000 to $1,500

First Stop - Cave Adventurers

Hollis 25 lb single tank wing $200
Stainless Steel Back plate 75
CA harness 27
Cam Straps 40
Total $342

OMS Slipstream Fins $ 67
Spings $ 29
Total $ 96

HOG Tech Diver mask $ 22

Subgear Cayman regulator $290 from Prime Scuba on Ebay
Subgear Octo 123
SPG 104
Total $517

This is the same as a Scubapro S555 with a MK-17, with is an excellent regulator.
I would also try to push them on price by $50

Omer Rubber Weight Belt $ 22 from Leisure Pro

Done at $999 plus shipping.

Note: Leisure Pro also sells all these items except the mask so you may be able to get a better deal from them and only 1 shipping charge.

I'm not sure if I should go with the 7' hose. I'm not going to be doing any overhead diving in the near future so is it necessary or is it a preferred hose length for reasons other than overhead diving. If I dont go with the 7' hose then what would be a good length for someone 6' 225lbs.

One reason is in case someone (your dive buddy) is having an "emergency" you can give the reg w/7' hose to them and your alternate, which is located just under your chin on the neck strap is readily availible to you. If the other diver is panicking this allows you to put a little space between you and them, while they calm dawn.

I would classify the 7' hose piece of equipment more as a safety device then an environmental one.

~Me~

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom