New diver, looking to get geared up for about $1000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can choose to go BP/W and not go long hose. See this thread http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...tems/413661-review-dris-28lb-bp-w-system.html for an example of someone who made that choice.

I personally have choosen to go with the 7' hose and haven't regretted it. There are some long hose videos on you tube that you can watch where they demonstrate OOA emergency drills ( aka S-Drill ) where the buddy team is able to get along side each other and swim to the exit point in a horizontal position. I like this much better then the get verticle approach taught by PADI that's encouraged with the shorter hoses.

6' 225 is not a little guy. I'm 5'7" 165 and use a 7ft hose with my BPW. I would not go less than 6ft.

And just an FYI :
I include cave line for the bolt snaps. Assembly and testing of the reg and webbing the plate is always included at no charge. I even tie the snaps on and include a basic bungee necklace with a full package. Only thing is I don't sell computers. Yet.

This is the only guy on the internet I would trust giving 1000 dollars to.

Sold me mine and my wifes gear. The best experience ever, even had breakfast with him at Jimmy Deans the next morning

I'm not sure if I should go with the 7' hose. I'm not going to be doing any overhead diving in the near future so is it necessary or is it a preferred hose length for reasons other than overhead diving.
It is a matter of personal preference. While the configuration evolved from caves / overhead environments, it is more commonly encountered than in just that environment. I dive a long hose / bungeed necklace just . . . 'because'. Frankly, it is how I was trained and I am comfortable with it, and can't see going back. One thing I like is knowing exactly where my alternate second stage is. I have never been involved in an actual OOA situation, but I have had my primary second stage kicked out of my mouth. If I have my alternate on a short hose, and bungeed around my neck (so it will not be donated), I prefer having more hose length on the reg that I donate.

Also, thanks for the explanantion on the gloves.

I just want to thank everybody for there input and advice. I pm'd Jim about getting the gear. I'll go with the 7' hose, I saw a picture of how it is wrapped around the body and having all that extra hose is not a big deal.

This is the only guy on the internet I would trust giving 1000 dollars to.

Sold me mine and my wifes gear. The best experience ever, even had breakfast with him at Jimmy Deans the next morning

+1

John N

Would the suggestion be to get gear online? Me & my wife are very new with only 2 dives on our plate. We just got certified in Jamaica the other week. We plan to do the two other dives over here in PA to complete the certification for OW. I was recommended a LDS from a local salt water fish forum. I no NOTHING about gear, so I would feel more comfortable having them help me.. but I also don't want to get screwed. I guess I somewhat answered my own question.

(ps. sorry if i thread jacked)
How close are you to Canonsburg? See post #38.

My gear arrived today so I went for a dive. Love the bp/w setup, very comfortable to dive with. Thanks again for everyones help and a special thanks to Jim Lapenta for setting me up with all the gear.

I hope you're located in the deep deep south :)

Other wise you might be in for a cold shower on that price range. If you are in colder waters you will find those regulators and BCD pretty lacking in performance and you will be back looking for new stuff within months of your initial purchase. The package you've pointed out is meant for those once a year divers that do a couple of 15'->30' dives a year. If you are intending to do any amount of diving the setup that chrpai put together is a solid setup that can grow with you instead of you growing out of it.

I'm not going to buy a wet suit yet but I do need everything else.

I've been looking at scuba packages on LeasurePro and ScubaToys. If I only want to spend around $1000 is it better to go with a scuba package in which everything is the same brand or am I better off picking and choosing my own gear?

So far this is what I'm thinking about getting

All Oceanic BCD & Regulator Package

Hollis Tec Package

Any thoughts or advice on what I should buy and from where would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom