New diver, looking to get geared up for about $1000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought used initially. I was on Kauai at the time and got everything I needed for $200, including an AL80 tank, from a guy moving to the mainland. I dove that gear for about 6 months and then started replacing it piece by piece with new gear. I learned a LOT in that 6 months and saved way more than the $200 I spent on the used gear by using what I learned in that 6 month period of time. I still use the snorkel (when I use one at all), gloves, wights, fins and booties I got with that original purchase and have kept the rest of it as back up gear. If I chose to sell the mask, 2 sets of gauges, BCD and Regs I got with that original used gear purchase, I dare say I could get my $200 back and maybe even make a couple of bucks.

I believe I put my first set of gear together for about $500.00. Here is where and what I bought:
Caveadventurers.com: SS BP = $75.00
Caveadventurers.com: Dive Right Deluxe Harness QR = $44.00
XS Scuba: 2 x Single weight tank weight pouch (I put it on my web belt and have had as much as 7 lbs in each pocket.) = $18.90
Dolphin Scuba: HOG 32 lb. single tank wing = approx. $239.99 (no longer on the Dolphin scuba website, but available @ others for similar price).
Leisurepro: Oceanic SPG/Compass/depth guages = $219.00
Ebay: I bought a used regulator set-up for $150.00 then dropped $60.00 on the rebuild so = $210.00, but you can buy a new reg for sub $150.00 these days.
Leisure pro: Storm 2nd air = v $89.00
*LDS: Mares fins = $90 (ughh)
*LDS: Oceanic Mask = $120.00 (ughh)
*LDS: Dry snorkel = $25.00 (Whhy do they make us buy these?:)

You may already have the last three, but here are the totals:
without basic gear: $806.00
With basic gear: $1049.81

I hope you have fun buying all your new gear :)

I might go with this instead of the All Oceanic package. Aeris EX200 Complete Package

It's a back-inflate vs. a jacket bcd - most people like them better - less squeeze and less in front.

The Aeris BCD is also weight integrated, reading the fine print it appears that for the Oceanic you would have to add their QLR weight system.

the NX3 computer is air or nitrox compatible - the veo100 isn't. Most people eventually wind up diving Nitrox.

Where it gives back a little is that the Oceanic FDX4.1 is probably a slightly better reg than the Aeris AT400. But maybe not as it also uses their DVT technology. And is environmentally sealed. If you dive in cold water, you want that to prevent freeze-up and free-flows.

Someone more familiar with the Aeris/Oceanic line can probably comment on the differences between the two models. Some of their line seems very similar.

btw, Aeris, Oceanic and Hollis are all owned by the same company.

The package price is also $75 less....

Also the only thing "Tec" in the Hollis package is their fins. Everything else is made by Blue Reef - which I believe is LeisurePro's OEM brand.
You really shouldn't buy a mask online either - the most important thing is going to be the fit. Frameless is a good idea though, they often fit better.

The Hollis Tec package from Scubatoys Them suggested in his post is a much better option. Scubatoys has a really liberal return policy also.

If you go with the BP/W suggestions - it's likely that it will come in 3-4 separate pieces. You'll probably need someone to help you size/configure/adjust the straps the first time. Your LDS might be reluctant to do so if you didn't buy it from them.

It would help if we knew where/what kind of diving you plan to do. Cold vs. warm, reef vs. wreck - future plans etc.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. Locally I'll be mostly diving in the St. Clair River off of Lake Huron. I'll also be diving in Mexico twice a year and anywhere else I decide to vacation. I just got certified this spring in Mexico and did 11 dives while I was down there. Most of my dives were near Cozumel. It was amazing, even seen a nurse shark from about 10ft away. I'm going to get my advanced next time I go to Mexico. I'm not hard set on $1000 either, willing to spend up to $1500 max but would prefer to keep it down close to $1000. I prefer to buy new vs used.

Most people eventually wind up diving Nitrox.

Plus 1. I know I did and I am glad I did. I dove with 4 people on air and of those 4 all of them fell asleep on the way home. Including the driver of our second vehicle. I swore then I would only dive nitrox because seeing his car burn and how lucky he was to got out of it really makes me glad I use a controversial gas that to me in my opinion eliminates that tired post dive feeling.

My point would be that whatever you buy to start with, you can look at replacing a large percentage of it within a short period of time if you havent been diving long enough to know what you really really want.

So I bought used to start as it was cheaper to replace that than all new stuff. Perhaps you have money to burn though. I dont

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. Locally I'll be mostly diving in the St. Clair River off of Lake Huron. I'll also be diving in Mexico twice a year and anywhere else I decide to vacation. I just got certified this spring in Mexico and did 11 dives while I was down there. Most of my dives were near Cozumel. It was amazing, even seen a nurse shark from about 10ft away. I'm going to get my advanced next time I go to Mexico. I'm not hard set on $1000 either, willing to spend up to $1500 max but would prefer to keep it down close to $1000. I prefer to buy new vs used.
The river is pretty tough there. Be careful. Bonecrusher is getting rid of some great stuff right now and he's right around the corner. ( I know it's used but perhaps a talk. With him will help) looks like you're well on the way to some great gear and great diving ahead of you. Yah the nurse sharks are great but those wreaks in the preserves in your neck of the woods are even better. Dive safe and have fun

PM Jim Lapenta on this board. He can set you up with some Edge Regs and probably everything else for that price.

Just know we can do custom packages at great discounts and we'll beat anyone's price. Feel free to message or email me with any questions you may have.

Hi Nick- When is LP going to become an Edge / Hog dealer? A BP/W / Edge combo would rock. :)

BTW, I bought my wetsuits from LP but I ended up buying almost everything else from DRIS after guying my BCD/Regs from them. If LP had a similar level combo all of my purchases probably would have gone to LP.

Back
Top Bottom