New diver, looking to get geared up for about $1000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just got off the phone with my buddy who's about to do a dive in the river. He was talking to some other divers there who all have regular bcd's and they were telling him that I should go with the oceanic gear and that the setup you guys are suggesting is more for tech divers who dive 300+ feet. They said a bcd is more comfortable to wear. I'm not sure what I should buy as I've only ever used a bcd.

Well, I'm far from a tech diver, my deepest dive is 125fsw.. I regularly do 100fsw and shallower. I think a bp/w is way more comfortable than a jacket, but again, that's just me. What I like about it is with a 3mm suit I can dive with about 3-5 lbs, and in fresh springs with a 5mm John and jacket I dive with about 8lbs. I was nowhere near that with a jacket. Ymmv

Just got off the phone with my buddy who's about to do a dive in the river. He was talking to some other divers there who all have regular bcd's and they were telling him that I should go with the oceanic gear and that the setup you guys are suggesting is more for tech divers who dive 300+ feet. They said a bcd is more comfortable to wear. I'm not sure what I should buy as I've only ever used a bcd.

That's just silly and a statement made by those who have little.understanding of gear as a whole. My plate and wings are more comfortable in the water than any jacket bc I have used. They are simpler, less constricting, allow more freedom of movement, and easily customized to my needs and they fit me. I don't have to try and guess what size I need. Statements like that just show how little they know and most likely are based in the attitudes of shops and instructors who have no experience with the set ups and more than likely don't sell them. And in the long run and even up.front are more cost effective. The lack of education regarding gear is quite astounding.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

That's just silly and a statement made by those who have little.understanding of gear as a whole. My plate and wings are more comfortable in the water than any jacket bc I have used. They are simpler, less constricting, allow more freedom of movement, and easily customized to my needs and they fit me. I don't have to try and guess what size I need. Statements like that just show how little they know and most likely are based in the attitudes of shops and instructors who have no experience with the set ups and more than likely don't sell them. And in the long run and even up.front are more cost effective. The lack of education regarding gear is quite astounding.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Well said, sir.

Well, $1000 bucks is tough but I'll give it a try:

DRIS Dive Gear 28lb BP/W System - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL
Edge Gear D1/Epic Regulator Combo - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

Edge Gear D1/Epic Regulator Combo
- Add a Bolt Snap? 3"
- Add a Hog SPG 2" White Face
- Add an Octo Hose Yes
- Add an SPG Hose? 24" HP
- Add D1 Second Stage Yes
- Coldwater First Stage Yes
- First Stage Yoke
- Primary Phantom Hose Length 84"
- Second Stage D1 Second Stage
$434.97
DRIS Dive Gear 28lb BP/W System
- Backplate Hog Stainless Steel
- Elite 2 Harness Size None
- Harness Light Monkey DIR
- Highland Metal Tank Straps 2
- Hog STA Yes
- Web My Harness No
$359.99

That's $800 for your core BCD, Regs and SPG. You will still need

Mask HOG Gear Tech Diver Mask - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL $40

(For the rest... try to find things on craigslist, ebay, ect )
Fins (I picked up my Hollis F1's used for $75 )
Wirst mount Computer http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/Cate...2003:flid_1985_2% 3d2000/Page_1/AERXRNXW.html $200

So that would put you around $1100 for 'everything'. Of course in Scuba you never have 'everything'. You'll want a reel, SMB, defogger, tanks, wetsuit, boots, hood, gloves and so on. But this should put you in a really solid direction for a very good price.

After doing some reading I've decided to go with the bp/w setup. I think I'm going to buy the above unless somebody can come up with something even better. I'm also going to need fins, boots, and kevlar gloves. Everything else I'll buy as needed.

Good choice, you will be extremely happy with your purchase, and it will last a very long time. Also, you could pay 5 bucks to have DRIS Web your harness, and all you'd have to do is adjust it to your size.

I paid the 5 bucks but it wasn't done quite right. There will be a learning curve but you'll be a better diver as a result.

Where do you live? A mentor would greatly help.

chrpai:
That's $800 for your core BCD, Regs and SPG.
After doing some reading I've decided to go with the bp/w setup. . . . I'm also going to need fins, boots, and kevlar gloves. Everything else I'll buy as needed.
So, for ~$800, you get 1) a SS BP, a 28 lb single tank wing, with a STA, and 2) a cold water-usable regulator with a long hose primary second stage and a short hose (? bungeed necklace) alternate second stage. Not a bad deal at all. Two minor points: 1) chrpai mentioned a wrist-mount computer, which will hopefully be included in your initial purchases, since it will be your (only) depth gauge; 2) why the 'kevlar gloves'? Just curious.

I paid the 5 bucks but it wasn't done quite right. There will be a learning curve but you'll be a better diver as a result.

Where do you live? A mentor would greatly help.

Sarnia, Ontario

---------- Post Merged at 01:30 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:27 PM ----------

So, for ~$800, you get 1) a SS BP, a 28 lb single tank wing, with a STA, and 2) a cold water-usable regulator with a long hose primary second stage and a short hose (? bungeed necklace) alternate second stage. Not a bad deal at all. Two minor points: 1) chrpai mentioned a wrist-mount computer, which will hopefully be included in your initial purchases, since it will be your (only) depth gauge; 2) why the 'kevlar gloves'? Just curious.

I will be buying the dive computer in my initial purchase. Regular gloves will just get torn up swimming in the river from what I hear.

---------- Post Merged at 01:31 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:27 PM ----------

Good choice, you will be extremely happy with your purchase, and it will last a very long time. Also, you could pay 5 bucks to have DRIS Web your harness, and all you'd have to do is adjust it to your size.

Thanks for the tip, I will do that.

Email Mike Pederson and tell him about this thread for what you are trying to put together. There might be a couple odds and ends / details to notate in the order.

Specify Octo hose length
Some shock cord to make a bungee necklace
An extra boltsnap ( you need 2; one for the SPG hose and one for the Primary hose )
Some cave line ( can never have too much... Order atleast 6 - 10 feet )

Also try to find a mentor who's familiar with BP/W and long hose rather then traditional vest jacket and regs. He can then help make sure your order goes good, show you how to assemble and tweak it and do some pool work to get everything locked on. If you were in Austin, TX I'd do this in a heartbeat for you.

Back
Top Bottom