New diver, equipment advice appreciated!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some manufacturers limit retail stores to only one or two products. Scubapro is one of those. They will not be carrying any other BCs so of course they promote them exclusively.

This is not true! Maybe years ago but no more. We carry ScubaPro, Atomic, Oceanic, Halcyon, DiveRite, Sherwood.

As far as my recommendation, I'm a big Atomic fan (Dive M1's) The Atomic Z2 is probably the most bang for you buck. As far as BC, i would look at a BP&W. For a computer, wrist instrumentation is typically preferred and Nitrox capabilities is a given. Oceanic computer tend to be pretty solid overall, maybe look at the GEO2.0 or a VEO 3.0.

Depends on the buy in and location such as other manufacturers selling in your area.. We declined the "offer" to buy into Scubapro for that very reason. It is very much true save for internet retailers. Were you able to buy into Scubapro before you went online retail and were just storefront?

Can't argue with great advice!

Unless you're rich, you're not going to be able to do that much warm water diving. Are you sure you want to invest money into gears that will hardly be used?

Minnesota has a bunch of lakes and it would a shame and a waste that you don't want to take advantage of what the locale offers.

But I'll give you my input in your gear selection:

Fins:
Sherwood Kinesis EX Fin - don't know much about them, but I'm sure they'll work just fine. Learn how to properly kick your fins is more important

Found that these are comfy and perfect fit for my foot. that's half the battle already

Snorkel:
ScubaMax Semi dry snorkel- buy a cheap snorkel, semi-dry is like semi-pregnant, besides you're a diver and not a snorkeler

Mask:
Sherwood Visualator M-14- if it fits your face and your budget then get it

Wetsuit 3mm:pinaccle - I'd recommend custom suits because they cost about the same but specifically tailored for you

Any input I can get on the equipment I have bought would be great i.e. are there better ones ect.

I would like recommendations on regulators and BCD. I have been recommended the Sherwood Blizzard regulator as one of the best, and one of the few that will solve the "dry mouth" issue.if you don't dive cold then the Blizzard is a waste of money, as far as dry mouth issue goes, take your regulator off and let some water in, or hydrate yourself before you dive (do this first). I prefer Atomic Aquatics regulators, but that's just me. .

BCD, I have been recommended the sherwood Avid. - I prefer Dive Rite Transpac BC for the universal fit (which affects performance), the quality and the customer service. Or a backplate/wing in either stainless steel or aluminum. Once you do BPW, you don't go back

Computer:
Recommeded the Sherwood.- I like my Sherwood Wisdom 2. Easy to use, easy to read & interpret. What more do you need?

Perfect. Thank you everyone. One other question, what is the scuba pro stabilizer jacket? The classic? How is it different than the vest jacket type bcd's? Thank you.

Just get a Backplate and wing forget about the rest.

Halcyon eclipse/HOG/Diverite/OMS etc..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom