New diver, equipment advice appreciated!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You should definitely purchase your own gear.

Since you'll be traveling to dive, it makes sense to pay attention to the dry "carry" weight of your scuba gear. Some manufacturers are installing Miflex (flexible, light, more expensive) hoses on their "travel" reg setups. Many people like this type of hose. You can retrofit virtually any reg setup with them. Many manufacturers are now offering warm water "travel BCDs." Look into them.

When it comes to BCDs, you really need to try different styles for yourself. Most divers get OW certified in a conventional jacket-style BCD, so they are familiar with that style and purchase that for their first BCD. Before buying anything, I'd recommend at the minimum trying out a rear-inflate BCD and a BP/W rig. With experiences in 3 different BCD styles, that should help you make a more informed buying decision. Join a local scuba club, make friends, and ask to try out some of their equipment. Most divers are fairly generous when it comes to things like this.

Some divers prefer a BCD with a rigid backplate (heavy plastic, aluminum, stainless steel) because it can help the tank feel more secure on one's back. You need to try the BCD or BP/W out for yourself in order to assess this.

I'd recommend staying away from the "up/down" I3 lever on the Aqualung BCDs. It's an innovative design that is completely unnecessary (going to be more difficult to repair) in my opinion.

For regs, everyone has a favorite. Lots to consider -- performance, price, reliability, parts availability, service availability in your locale, warranty, sealed vs. unsealed first stage, adjustable breathing control knob on second stage. I don't dive in super-cold or "dirty" water, but I like environmentally-sealed first stages for the ease of maintenance. I service my own regs, and it makes me smile when I look inside my reg that hasn't been overhauled in a couple of years...and it looks brand new in there. High performance regs come in either balanced diaphragm or balanced piston designs. I couldn't recommend one over the other -- both are great. Yes, Atomic regs are of a balanced piston design and, to "seal" them, the reg technician needs to pack the environmental chamber with a fair bit of Christolube (oxygen-compatible lubricant). This is messy and expensive. Atomic regs do have a reputation for breathing very nicely and have a recommended service interval of 2 years, which is longer than what some other manufacturers recommend for their own regs (Scubapro: every year, Apeks/Aqualung: every other year with in-between year inspections). I really like my Apeks ATX100/50/FST reg. I also like my Aqualung Legend regs. Both reg setups are very reliable and perform extremely well. My buddies have Scubapro S600/MK25 regs. They work very well, too. See the trend here?

There are a couple of things you should be aware of when shopping for or trying out regs. First of all, a higher price doesn't necessarily mean a "better" reg for you. Take anything a salesman, who works on commission (many do), says with a grain of salt. If a salesman begins any sentence with: "You're looking at life support equipment, so..." I'd recommend finding someone else to talk to. Secondly, when assessing reg performance, it's practically impossible for a novice diver to distinguish between the inherent capability of a reg and the ability of the reg tech who last worked on it. Proper tuning is critical for maximizing reg performance. At some point, you're just going to have to trust what other people say about a particular brand/model reg. Many divers try out a crappily tuned rental reg, find that it's difficult to breathe from, and then vow never again to use/own that same brand/model of reg. Don't fall into this trap.

I hope you find this info helpful.

Is the Atomic just easier to breathe out of?
Easy to breath in any position. Breaths dry in any position. Easy to breath when the tank runs low.

All Atomic regs breathe the same but use different materials for the build. Titanium regs are great for those that couldn't be bothered to rinse them off at the end of the dive. Titanium regs need to be dedicated nitrox or air (there appears to be a non-dedicated one available). If it were me I would deterimine which cost more, titanium or water to rinse my regs with. Maintenance is an expense. Welcome to diving. YMMV.

Actually, according to Atomic's breathing apparatus's charts, the cheapest model Z2 is the one that breaths the best out of all of the Atomic regs. However, as a whole, they all score extremely high on the breathing machine.

The 1-lb saving in weight is negligible, but the titanium reg is a certain "cool/bling" factor to it. I favor the M1 or the ST1. Maybe I should buy the M1 and relegate my B2 to be my backup reg. My current backup reg is the Aqualung Titan LX. It sucks.

Actually, according to Atomic's breathing apparatus's charts, the cheapest model Z2 is the one that breaths the best out of all of the Atomic regs. However, as a whole, they all score extremely high on the breathing machine.

I would be hard pressed to differentiate between any of them. I have not however used any of the Ti models solely based on principle :D

Aqualungs free flow. We see it often.

We are now selling Hollis and I just picked up a couple DC1's and an o2 only reg for my tec kit. Really happy with them so far and the labs have them on par with Atomics.

They are back order only as of the first of the week.

Aqualungs free flow. We see it often.
Either you guys aren't maintaining the Aqualung regs properly or you need to fire your reg techs.

Any reg can be made to freeflow. Proper tuning will find the optimal balance between breathability and freeflow.

Either you guys aren't maintaining the Aqualung regs properly or you need to fire your reg techs.

Any reg can be made to freeflow. Proper tuning will find the optimal balance between breathability and freeflow.

I get that a lot from folks that are dead set on name brand.

We get divers from all walks of life around here and the most common complaint from Aqualung regulators is that they free flow and they won't stay tuned.

This is not news and it is not locally associated.

I get that a lot from folks that are dead set on name brand.

We get divers from all walks of life around here and the most common complaint from Aqualung regulators is that they free flow and they won't stay tuned.

This is not news and it is not locally associated.
I'm not an Aqualung fanboy. I don't want the thread to degenerate into a "this brand is better than that brand" discussion, so I'll just say that my experience and those of the avid divers around me has not been the same as yours, I guess.

FWIW, the "most common complaint" about any brand of regulator is freeflow.

Do you service regs yourself? If so, which brands? The reason I ask is that I'm curious what you think predisposes Aqualung regs to freeflow. Is it something in the reg design? Is it the quality of the service parts? Or perhaps do you "have a dog in the race" (work for another reg manufacturer or the shop that you work for sells other reg brands = potential conflict of interest)? I'm willing to approach this with an open mind.

I'm not an Aqualung fanboy. I don't want the thread to degenerate into a "this brand is better than that brand" discussion, so I'll just say that my experience and those of the avid divers around me has not been the same as yours, I guess.

FWIW, the "most common complaint" about any brand of regulator is freeflow.

Do you service regs yourself? If so, which brands? The reason I ask is that I'm curious what you think predisposes Aqualung regs to freeflow. Is it something in the reg design? Is it the quality of the service parts? I'm willing to approach this with an open mind.

I do not service Aqualung regulators. We ship off most of our regulator work to folks with appropriate dyno equipment. A simple free flow from the second stage will be adjusted in-house and usually amounts to the diver using an octo as a reef anchor. It's merely an observation of complaints over my last four years in the business.

We also find that Promate regulators come from our distributors with wild IP readings and typically devoid of any lube. I see a lot of gear come in and out and I hear all the complaints and praises. Aqualung and free flows seem to go hand in hand. YMMV

OK. Thanks for the info, syntaxerrorsix.

It sounds like Promate has a QC problem. I have no experience with that brand personally, though.

Agreed, QC is problematic.

Promate,and a myriad of others all get there regs from the same source, Ocean Divers in Taiwan and market them as their own.

Some manufacturers limit retail stores to only one or two products. Scubapro is one of those. They will not be carrying any other BCs so of course they promote them exclusively.

This is not true! Maybe years ago but no more. We carry ScubaPro, Atomic, Oceanic, Halcyon, DiveRite, Sherwood.

As far as my recommendation, I'm a big Atomic fan (Dive M1's) The Atomic Z2 is probably the most bang for you buck. As far as BC, i would look at a BP&W. For a computer, wrist instrumentation is typically preferred and Nitrox capabilities is a given. Oceanic computer tend to be pretty solid overall, maybe look at the GEO2.0 or a VEO 3.0.

Back
Top Bottom