New Apple Watch is a dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am waiting for someone to get surprised when their watch floods....
Are you really concerned about whether or not a trillion dollar company that specializes in making hardware is capable of designing a water tight and pressure resistant product? Do you think that their (very well paid) mechanical engineers just don't know how to do it? Because it's not like it's an unsolved problem.

Are you really concerned about whether or not a trillion dollar company that specializes in making hardware is capable of designing a water tight and pressure resistant product? Do you think that their (very well paid) mechanical engineers just don't know how to do it? Because it's not like it's an unsolved problem.

It is possible including due to user error. It happens with the most expensive dive watch from companies that have been doing it for centuries. Manure happens.

We’ll… based on the info they have released, they do not appear to be that confident in their own abilities at present…

We’ll… based on the info they have released, they do not appear to be that confident in their own abilities at present…

You mean like how literally every source that speaks about waterproof watches all mention that waterpoof-ness degrades over time as the gaskets and other seals wear down with age?

source1
source2
source3

Seriously, waterproofing is never a permanent state. Not on apple watch, not on Suunto, not on Garmin, and not even on Shearwater. It just doesnt exist. Eventually wear and tear will cause a leak on the gasket.

Even Shearwater recommends getting your watched serviced every 3-5 years, and guess what's listed in the service (bold emphasis mine):

Factory Authorized Service for your Shearwater dive computer includes:
  • Disassemble, clean, and carefully inspect all parts for damage/corrosion/wear
  • Always replace faceplate, O-ring and bezel screws (Petrel model will include new-style faceplate with titanium bezel)
  • Always replace battery door O-ring(s) on models with a battery door
  • Always replace battery holder in Pursuit and Predator models
  • Always replace rechargeable battery in Teric models
  • Replacement of the Teric sapphire crystal lens is not included in periodic maintenance service
  • All factory recommended hardware and firmware updates
  • Assemble and test of electronics and button functionality
  • Pressure-pot test to Shearwater specifications
  • Verify depth reading for accuracy across a range of pressures
  • Return shipping included for US destinations
  • 5-day turn around from receipt of computer
  • Pursuit, Predator, Petrel, Perdix, and Teric models only

Why would they bother replacing these parts or recommend servicing? It's because they also know that these parts can't guarantee waterproof seal forever and need to be replaced.

Seriously, people are losing their minds over this extremely standard language about how waterproofing can fail over time.

You mean like how literally every source that speaks about waterproof watches all mention that waterpoof-ness degrades over time as the gaskets and other seals wear down with age?

source1
source2
source3

Seriously, waterproofing is never a permanent state. Not on apple watch, not on Suunto, not on Garmin, and not even on Shearwater. It just doesnt exist. Eventually wear and tear will cause a leak on the gasket.

Even Shearwater recommends getting your watched serviced every 3-5 years, and guess what's listed in the service (bold emphasis mine):

Why would they bother replacing these parts or recommend servicing? It's because they also know that these parts can't guarantee waterproof seal forever and need to be replaced.

Seriously, people are losing their minds over this extremely standard language about how waterproofing can fail over time.
No - I mean a 100m asterisked depth rating that actually is only 40m depth rating for diving. My Teric has a 200m depth rating and my Perdix 2 has a 260m rating - no asterisk required!

No - I mean a 100m asterisked depth rating that actually is only 40m depth rating for diving. My Teric has a 200m depth rating and my Perdix 2 has a 260m rating - no asterisk required!

The Apple is not a competitor to a Teric.

My mk2i can only go to 100m, I guess if it goes deeper I am probably already dead, as that isn't what I'd be using it for.

I have dropped my mk2i many times, hit it on rock walls and it keeps going. Teric on the other hand had a cracked screen somehow during a rather mellow dive. Everything has some give and take, and if the Apple goes to 40m that is fine for the intended buyers. If it is over rated past its specified usable depth, that's just extra beyond what it is for.

I am no apple fan but it does look extemely nice first hand. If it had AI and a non subscription model I'd probably get one to play with.

The Apple Ultra/Oceanic+ is a recreational computer, ha New Apple Watch is a dive computer

The Apple is not a competitor to a Teric.

My mk2i can only go to 100m, I guess if it goes deeper I am probably already dead, as that isn't what I'd be using it for.

I have dropped my mk2i many times, hit it on rock walls and it keeps going. Teric on the other hand had a cracked screen somehow during a rather mellow dive. Everything has some give and take, and if the Apple goes to 40m that is fine for the intended buyers. If it is over rated passed its specified usable depth, that's just extra beyond what it is for.

I am no apple fan but it does look extemely nice first hand. If it had AI and a non subscription model I'd probably get one to play with.
I didn’t say it was a competitor to the Teric - was just responding to the post on Apple’s ability to build a water tight and pressure resistant watch…

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom