New Apple Watch is a dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So lets step back for a second and talk about how Apple's model works. They primarliy produce revenue in one of 3 ways.

1. Direct hardware Sales to Customers. (You buy the watch,iphone, Macbook etc....)
2. Services -(iCloud, Apple Care+,other)
3. A percentage of sales of apps or subscriptions for apps available through their App Store.

There are exclusions but for the most part Apple isn't selling software anymore.

With this view, they are not building a dive watch but a hardware platform and IDE (software development environment) and that can support features that can support a variety of implementations based on the sensors and tolerances their hardware can support. This benefits them in that they can focus on their business and let 3rd parties focus on developing a host of uses based on these. When Apple releases new features in their platform (like adding a depth sensor) they often find a partner who they give first crack to in developing software to take advantage of this, here is where Oceanic comes in.

Eventually other 3rd party apps will appear. Before this, if you wanted to build a new dive computer you are going to have to go through the very expensive process of designing hardware, securing the manufacturing capacity, hardware testing, warranty claims, iso certification, UL certification, etc... It becomes a barrier that most won't overcome and diving is a niche market compared to much larger markets and a big reason why dive computers have remained expensive compared to what they deliver. A graphing calculator from the 90's has the computational power to function as a dive computer, these are not elaborate mathematical models. The algorithms themselves are not propriety and for the most are all based on public research. By Apple taking care of the hardware platform, companies are now going to be able to focus on the user experience of a Dive computer/Dive App and other innovations and this ultimately is going to be both good for them(Manufacturing, Supply Chains, Excess inventory costs go away) and the consumer because there will be a host of competing Apps. An example of this is if you look at cash registers(POS Systems), when Apple released the iPad a bunch of clever developers realized the platform gave them an option of creating simple yet powerful connected POS systems and now things like Square and Clover are ubiquitous and small businesses flocked to them.

This exact thing is going to happen in the "Dive Computer industry". There has been this focus on the 40 meter barrier of the Depth app. Plenty of clickbait things have been passed around social media and forums but 99% of that is meant to deceive or is being passed along by the uninformed. The depth app is not really intended to be useful as a real tool, It is mainly created as a demonstration on how to use the APIs associated with reading sensor data from the hardware into an application. That is what it is no more no less. Apple often does this and creates a host of content and instructions to the dev site.

The hardware has been certified to a depth of 100 meters, there have been videos and tests showing that the sensor is still reading data beyond a 40 meters. But Apple isn't going to even hint that you should go beyond 40 meters in their first party software. Diving is an inherently dangerous sport at recreational limits and beyond that the risk factors are increased at each passing meter. They are not going to expose themselves to lawsuits because due to their size they are a massive target. They would rather let a 3rd party developer assume that risk. Anything with an O-ring is going to have its water resistance degrade over time, that is why they have that language in their material.

Ultimately this is a positive thing for divers and the industry, the technology will be disruptive at first but long term it will increase competition for dive computers and lead to innovation in UIs and dive logging. Because dive computers certainly need it navigating many of the menus in them is akin to programming a VCR in the 80s. And good god dive logging software is terrible. There is still space for specialized high end equipment like Shearwaters but 90% of the people who buy them hardly use all the features beyond OC/Rec and air integration or go to a depth beyond 40 meters.

The video was just the depth gauge from apple, not a dive computer. It is unlikely an oceanic computer program will stop working at depth. If the app is out by Nov I will run it with mu perdix 2 in Cozumel. Possibility of deeper dives depending on the boat experience.
It drive me bananas that people focus on it. The depth gauge is intended to be a demonstrator for developers on how to leverage APIs. It is not meant to be an actual tool, the click bait posts are misleading or uninformed.

I guess the question is what happens when you ascend above 144 ft. Does the display go back to normal and show deco stops? Based on what that last video showed, it'll go back to showing current depth; hopefully Oceanic sets up the app so it also shows any necessary deco stops.
My bet is it will continue to function as normal with a flashing warning or something. But when my friend gets the app, I am sure we can play with it in my little chamber.

Are any currently available dive computers limited in depth to recreational limits?

The only "recreational" computers I'm very familiar with are Oceanic. Starting in 2002, I have dived a Pro Plus 2, a VT3, a Geo2 and a VT4. All these computers will enter delayed violation at a depth of >330 ft and will go into violation gauge mode for 24 hours, 5 min after surfacing. Wow, that depth seems sufficient.

The part where it appears that the apple dive computer stops providing information during your dive.

What happens if you go below 140 feet?
What happens if you go into deco?

It was the uwatec aladin sport that got some backlash. If you go into deco it only shows you the next deco stop depth. It will not provide any indication of the remaining deco time - even though it has that information.
The Apple Watch freebie depth application is really just a demo program. It's equivalent to a depth gauge and timer. Up to you to be able to control your dive and work out the deco requirements through rule of thumb -- or as it's better known, Ratio Deco.

The main rule of thumb is simply all dives below 42m/140ft is always a decompression dive. Recreational divers should never go there as their legs will fall off after being bitten by the dragons that live at that depth.

A properly trained diver would know that and come prepared or at least understand the implications and how to mitigate them. That would be a Shearwater and a bunch of redundant kit and appropriate gasses. But most of all a plan: One hour at 45m/150ft and another hour of decompression.

The Apple Watch freebie depth application is really just a demo program. It's equivalent to a depth gauge and timer. Up to you to be able to control your dive and work out the deco requirements through rule of thumb -- or as it's better known, Ratio Deco.

The main rule of thumb is simply all dives below 42m/140ft is always a decompression dive. Recreational divers should never go there as their legs will fall off after being bitten by the dragons that live at that depth.

A properly trained diver would know that and come prepared or at least understand the implications and how to mitigate them. That would be a Shearwater and a bunch of redundant kit and appropriate gasses. But most of all a plan: One hour at 45m/150ft and another hour of decompression.
You do not have to go to 140 feet to get a deco obligation. Especially on dive 5 of the day on a LOB.

But your point stands. You need a proper dive computer (app) in order for it to be useful.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread, it is possible that the depth sensor itself has a limit. In other words the watch could be good to 100m but the sensor, which is an electromechanical component, may have a range that is more limited. Dedicated computers might use better sensors or even multiple sensors to cover a wider range of pressures. Just a guess though.

Maybe something nice to say about Apple's demo depth program/app...

What a terrific user interface they've built. They've clearly shown both feet and metres without clutter (e.g. doubling up on the text) and the at-a-glance analogue depth gauge with the black and white. It's really clever how the line curves around the large central numbers.

This really demonstrates why Apple's at the top of their game when designing user interfaces. Just imagine the Microsoft version: would be a clock or some revolting skeuomorphic design that's hopeless for digital usability.

(Although for long-time Mac users, the original calendar application was truly awful, complete with pseudo-torn paper edges)

So lets step back for a second and talk about how Apple's model works. They primarliy produce revenue in one of 3 ways.

1. Direct hardware Sales to Customers. (You buy the watch,iphone, Macbook etc....)
2. Services -(iCloud, Apple Care+,other)
3. A percentage of sales of apps or subscriptions for apps available through their App Store.

There are exclusions but for the most part Apple isn't selling software anymore.

With this view, they are not building a dive watch but a hardware platform and IDE (software development environment) and that can support features that can support a variety of implementations based on the sensors and tolerances their hardware can support. This benefits them in that they can focus on their business and let 3rd parties focus on developing a host of uses based on these. When Apple releases new features in their platform (like adding a depth sensor) they often find a partner who they give first crack to in developing software to take advantage of this, here is where Oceanic comes in.

Eventually other 3rd party apps will appear. Before this, if you wanted to build a new dive computer you are going to have to go through the very expensive process of designing hardware, securing the manufacturing capacity, hardware testing, warranty claims, iso certification, UL certification, etc... It becomes a barrier that most won't overcome and diving is a niche market compared to much larger markets and a big reason why dive computers have remained expensive compared to what they deliver. A graphing calculator from the 90's has the computational power to function as a dive computer, these are not elaborate mathematical models. The algorithms themselves are not propriety and for the most are all based on public research. By Apple taking care of the hardware platform, companies are now going to be able to focus on the user experience of a Dive computer/Dive App and other innovations and this ultimately is going to be both good for them(Manufacturing, Supply Chains, Excess inventory costs go away) and the consumer because there will be a host of competing Apps. An example of this is if you look at cash registers(POS Systems), when Apple released the iPad a bunch of clever developers realized the platform gave them an option of creating simple yet powerful connected POS systems and now things like Square and Clover are ubiquitous and small businesses flocked to them.

This exact thing is going to happen in the "Dive Computer industry". There has been this focus on the 40 meter barrier of the Depth app. Plenty of clickbait things have been passed around social media and forums but 99% of that is meant to deceive or is being passed along by the uninformed. The depth app is not really intended to be useful as a real tool, It is mainly created as a demonstration on how to use the APIs associated with reading sensor data from the hardware into an application. That is what it is no more no less. Apple often does this and creates a host of content and instructions to the dev site.

The hardware has been certified to a depth of 100 meters, there have been videos and tests showing that the sensor is still reading data beyond a 40 meters. But Apple isn't going to even hint that you should go beyond 40 meters in their first party software. Diving is an inherently dangerous sport at recreational limits and beyond that the risk factors are increased at each passing meter. They are not going to expose themselves to lawsuits because due to their size they are a massive target. They would rather let a 3rd party developer assume that risk. Anything with an O-ring is going to have its water resistance degrade over time, that is why they have that language in their material.

Ultimately this is a positive thing for divers and the industry, the technology will be disruptive at first but long term it will increase competition for dive computers and lead to innovation in UIs and dive logging. Because dive computers certainly need it navigating many of the menus in them is akin to programming a VCR in the 80s. And good god dive logging software is terrible. There is still space for specialized high end equipment like Shearwaters but 90% of the people who buy them hardly use all the features beyond OC/Rec and air integration or go to a depth beyond 40 meters.
This is probably the most sensible thing I've read about this product. I understand what you mean and you're certainly right. However, I always refused Apple's products because of their extremely exclusive ecosystem. Can't buy anything that is coming from them at a much higher price than other products... Yep the hardware is probably well made and overall quality is there but it's not an ecosystem for me. I admit the display of the apple watch looks really nice and easy to read. Still, it won't be a product for me. Call me old school but I prefer a device that was meant to be a dive computer in the first place.

I hope someone runs a simulated dive or dives once the Oceanic+ app is available. I'd like to see how routine deco is handled at <130 feet, what happens if you go beyond 130 feet but not to 144 ft, and what happens if you descend below 144 ft.

Ray said he would when the app is released.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom