New Apple Watch is a dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This reminded me of some vague memories regarding backlash against dive computers that either "hid information" or "locked out" if the driver did some type of "diving violation".

I think the information hiding was about some early "rec only" dive computers that were fully capable of computing deco information but dumbed down the feedback to only displaying the next deco ceiling (I am not a deco diver so my words may be incorrect and I may be remembering this wrong) and not showing the deco time. This could have been an early Uwatec model? Maybe the sport? The rational appeared to be that "this is not a deco computer so we will prevent you from usefully using it for deco"?

"locked out" seems to be linked to early Suunto computers?

Shearwater appears to be considered the opposite. They continue to function providing full information regardless of diver actions.

Is there any information available on how the upcoming dive app will respond to silly diver mistakes / behavior?

This reminded me of some vague memories regarding backlash against dive computers that either "hid information" or "locked out" if the driver did some type of "diving violation".

I think the information hiding was about some early "rec only" dive computers that were fully capable of computing deco information but dumbed down the feedback to only displaying the next deco ceiling (I am not a deco diver so my words may be incorrect and I may be remembering this wrong) and not showing the deco time. This could have been an early Uwatec model? Maybe the sport? The rational appeared to be that "this is not a deco computer so we will prevent you from usefully using it for deco"?

"locked out" seems to be linked to early Suunto computers?

Shearwater appears to be considered the opposite. They continue to function providing full information regardless of diver actions.

Is there any information available on how the upcoming dive app will respond to silly diver mistakes / behavior?
I don't follow what you're trying to say. A recreational suunto computer like the zoop Novo will give you a Deco obligation and tell you what it is if you exceed the NDL, then lock you out for a time. It's a recreational computer. They don't want you to use it for tech diving.

The shearwater is a technical dive computer. That's the whole reason people buy it. Of course it's still going to work if you exceed the NDL.

Apple/oceanic will most likely do the same thing that suunto does. It'll tell you the safest method to ascend and clear Deco and then possibly lock you out for 24h. They already said it's a recreational dive computer.

What am I missing?

Apple/oceanic will most likely do the same thing that suunto does. It'll tell you the safest method to ascend and clear Deco and then possibly lock you out for 24h. They already said it's a recreational dive computer.

What am I missing?
Suunto and other recreational computers will lock you out if you ascend without clearing deco, which often happens when the user is either unfamiliar with the computer or doesn't expect to have incurred a deco obligation in the first place.

Suunto and other recreational computers will lock you out if you ascend without clearing deco, which often happens when the user is either unfamiliar with the computer or doesn't expect to have incurred a deco obligation in the first place.
Ah great thanks for clarifying. I guess I misunderstood the part you bolded.

I don't follow what you're trying to say. A recreational suunto computer like the zoop Novo will give you a Deco obligation and tell you what it is if you exceed the NDL, then lock you out for a time. It's a recreational computer. They don't want you to use it for tech diving.

The shearwater is a technical dive computer. That's the whole reason people buy it. Of course it's still going to work if you exceed the NDL.

What am I missing?
The part where it appears that the apple dive computer stops providing information during your dive.

What happens if you go below 140 feet?
What happens if you go into deco?

It was the uwatec aladin sport that got some backlash. If you go into deco it only shows you the next deco stop depth. It will not provide any indication of the remaining deco time - even though it has that information.

The part where it appears that the apple dive computer stops providing information during your dive.

What happens if you go below 140 feet?
What happens if you go into deco?

It was the uwatec aladin sport that got some backlash. If you go into deco it only shows you the next deco stop depth. It will not provide any indication of the remaining deco time - even though it has that information.
I hope someone runs a simulated dive or dives once the Oceanic+ app is available. I'd like to see how routine deco is handled at <130 feet, what happens if you go beyond 130 feet but not to 144 ft, and what happens if you descend below 144 ft.

I'm not at all sure that Oceanic/Huish help is fully up to speed yet and apparently no user's manual is available yet. This is a message from Oceanic/Huish from September 13:

"Max hardware depth exceeded, use your backup device to end the dive safely"
When the maximum depth of 40 meters is reached, the display starts flashing red, again showing the depth for an additional 10% ... upon reaching 44 meters, an alarm message appears ( "Max hardware depth exceeded, use your backup device to end the dive safely" ) that the dive data can be compromised and are no longer reliable.
At the end of the dive the computer will go into lockout, and will have to be unlocked manually.

I hope someone runs a simulated dive or dives once the Oceanic+ app is available. I'd like to see how routine deco is handled at <130 feet, what happens if you go beyond 130 feet but not to 144 ft, and what happens if you descend below 144 ft.

I'm not at all sure that Oceanic/Huish help is fully up to speed yet and apparently no user's manual is available yet. This is a message from Oceanic/Huish from September 13:

"Max hardware depth exceeded, use your backup device to end the dive safely"
When the maximum depth of 40 meters is reached, the display starts flashing red, again showing the depth for an additional 10% ... upon reaching 44 meters, an alarm message appears ( "Max hardware depth exceeded, use your backup device to end the dive safely" ) that the dive data can be compromised and are no longer reliable.
At the end of the dive the computer will go into lockout, and will have to be unlocked manually.
So as bad as the uwatec aladin and worse than a Suunto?

I guess the question is what happens when you ascend above 144 ft. Does the display go back to normal and show deco stops? Based on what that last video showed, it'll go back to showing current depth; hopefully Oceanic sets up the app so it also shows any necessary deco stops.

The video was just the depth gauge from apple, not a dive computer. It is unlikely an oceanic computer program will stop working at depth. If the app is out by Nov I will run it with mu perdix 2 in Cozumel. Possibility of deeper dives depending on the boat experience.

The video was just the depth gauge from apple, not a dive computer. It is unlikely an oceanic computer program will stop working at depth. If the app is out by Nov I will run it with mu perdix 2 in Cozumel. Possibility of deeper dives depending on the boat experience.
I'd like to see it in a pressure chamber again so that the conditions can be easily controlled and the dive(s) videoed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom