New Apple Watch is a dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It will be a competitor to the Teric, how many Teric owners actually do more than recreational and just liked the screen/looks of it?

It will be a competitor to the Teric, how many Teric owners actually do more than recreational and just liked the screen/looks of it?
Why limit it’s function to 40 m? I’m a recreational diver (not a tech/deco diver) and have dropped below 40m on many occasions and would not like it if my computer stopped providing the information I need to keep the dive going.

No - I mean a 100m asterisked depth rating that actually is only 40m depth rating for diving. My Teric has a 200m depth rating and my Perdix 2 has a 260m rating - no asterisk required!

it's not asterisked, they are purposefully trying to discourage people using it for tech diving and encourage recreational diving, they say it's "rated for diving down to 40m" because thats what its meant for diving down to 40m, no deeper diving. But if you dropped it in 90m of water and somehow recovered it (maybe on a rope or something), it should still work because its rated for that depth.

it's rated for 100m non-diving depth, but they are telling people that it's not meant for tec, it's a recreational dive device only rated to dive down to 40m. It's not going to know if you are diving below 40m and suddenly explode, it will be fine, but they don't want you to use it as a tec dive device.

I don't understand how people don't get this.
Why limit it’s function to 40 m? I’m a recreational diver (not a tech/deco diver) and have dropped below 40m on many occasions and would not like it if my computer stopped providing the information I need to keep the dive going.

The gauge app is a demo app only, the sensor itself definitely will read below 40m, the software they put out just says >130ft to demo purposes. They didn't limit the sensor reading to 40m, thats strictly what the demo application says at >130ft. Also realize this was just gauge mode demo software made by apple to demo the sensor itself. A dive computer app has full control over what it displays.

And the air integration, and the special functions like SurfGF, and the floating north pointer, and the ability to easily and comfortably dive below 130 or 144 ft... When Oceanic+ is finally available, at least the depth questions will be answered.
it's not asterisked, they are purposefully trying to discourage people using it for tech diving and encourage recreational diving, they say it's "rated for diving down to 40m" because thats what its meant for diving down to 40m, no deeper diving. But if you dropped it in 90m of water and somehow recovered it (maybe on a rope or something), it should still work because its rated for that depth.

it's rated for 100m non-diving depth, but they are telling people that it's not meant for tec, it's a recreational dive device only rated to dive down to 40m. It's not going to know if you are diving below 40m and suddenly explode, it will be fine, but they don't want you to use it as a tec dive device.

I don't understand how people don't get this.

The gauge app is a demo app only, the sensor itself definitely will read below 40m, the software they put out just says >130ft to demo purposes. They didn't limit the reading to 40m, thats strictly what the demo application says at >130ft. Also realize this was just gauge mode demo software made by apple to demo the sensor itself. A dive computer app has full control over what it displays.
Do any other dive computers discourage non-recreational diving by limiting the depth for use?

Some don't go back and read previous posts. I was told you would be locked out if you went below 144 ft, we'll all see when Oceanic+ comes out and is tested New Apple Watch is a dive computer

“it's not asterisked,…”
Oh, really…. then what is that symbol after the 100m claim on Apple’s product page in your distorted reality?

71FD76A0-1C14-4032-979D-4E439475F84F.png

This scene suddenly comes to mind… lol

Some don't go back and read previous posts. I was told you would be locked out if you went below 144 ft, we'll all see when Oceanic+ comes out and is tested New Apple Watch is a dive computer

If that's true then that's Oceanic's decision. The sensor API documentation has absolutely NO indication of not allowing readings below 144ft

Oh, really…. then what is that symbol after the 100m claim on Apple’s product page in your distorted reality?

View attachment 746005

This scene suddenly comes to mind… lol

you mean the thing that just says

Apple Watch Ultra has a water resistance rating of 100 meters under ISO standard 22810

And then says you shouldnt dive deeper than 40m (not with reference to saying it will get water in it, but likely because they only want to encourage rec diving)

you're acting like the fact that they dont want this device used for tec diving somehow negate the 100m rating; when they aren't contradictory.

It is both rated for 100m depth AND they don't want you diving deeper than rec limits (not necessarily because of water ingress, they don't state a reason)

If that's true then that's Oceanic's decision. The sensor API documentation has absolutely NO indication of not allowing readings below 144ft.
Hmmm… these words on limits are from Apple - not Oceanic.

04C35E64-EF36-4984-8516-0C335419F6FC.jpeg

you mean the thing that just says

And then says you shouldnt dive deeper than 40m (not with reference to saying it will get water in it, but likely because they only want to encourage rec diving)

you're acting like the fact that they dont want this device used for tec diving somehow negate the 100m rating; when they aren't contradictory.

It is both rated for 100m depth AND they don't want you diving deeper than rec limits (not necessarily because of water ingress, they don't state a reason)
So you admit that that there actually is an asterisk - that’s progress!

Hmmm… these words on limits are from Apple - not Oceanic.

View attachment 746007
Again you don't seem the distinguish these concepts:

1) Apple doesn't want the device used for tec diving, they are appealing to rec divers. They discourage >40m because they don't want safety issues

2) The watch sensor API is capable of giving readings below 40m, no documentation says otherwise

3) The watch itself is rated for 100m depth, this is separate from them discouraging diving below 40m

4) The demo app (and possibly oceanic app) locks you out at >40m but so far we have no indication that thats enforced by the watch OS or API.

I have to say, it really feels like you're trying not to understand these points and are just dead set on hating on the device. I don't feel like you're communicating in good faith when you purposefully seem to ignore some of these critical points.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom