New Apple Watch is a dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Again you don't seem the distinguish these concepts:

1) Apple doesn't want the device used for tec diving, they are appealing to rec divers. They discourage >40m because they don't want safety issues

2) The watch sensor API is capable of giving readings below 40m, no documentation says otherwise

3) The watch itself is rated for 100m depth, this is separate from them discouraging diving below 40m

4) The demo app (and possibly oceanic app) locks you out at >40m but so far we have no indication that thats enforced by the watch OS or API.

I have to say, it really feels like you're trying not to understand these points and are just dead set on hating on the device. I don't feel like you're communicating in good faith when you purposefully seem to ignore some of these critical points.
Many of us are just trying to understand the information that is available to us. Testing the Ultra with Oceanic+ will help us all understand just what we are dealing with, what is truth and what is not.

And the air integration, and the special functions like SurfGF, and the floating north pointer, and the ability to easily and comfortably dive below 130 or 144 ft... When Oceanic+ is finally available, at least the depth questions will be answered.
most rec divers never get close to 40 meters and have no idea what surfgf is. i can vouch after doing AOW recently compass usage isn’t a strong area either:)

It will be a competitor to the Teric, how many Teric owners actually do more than recreational and just liked the screen/looks of it?
Not in my opinion. I like the screen, its great, but its features do not win me over.

Sure it can do more in other smart watch areas and it has a great screen. But I don't even see it as a competitor of the mk2i. To me it's in an area off on its own and many will use it. Probably more than most other dive computers out there.

Looks like someone's already started on an open source, subscription-free dive computer app for Apple Watch Ultra

BTW I happen to use this devs FoundryVTT docker image on my home server to host virtual DnD. They are a good dev, I don't know them personally, so it was a funny coincidence seeing two of my interests collide in such an unexpected way

Again you don't seem the distinguish these concepts:

1) Apple doesn't want the device used for tec diving, they are appealing to rec divers. They discourage >40m because they don't want safety issues

Do you work for Apple such that you are privy to their motivation/reason for adding the depth limitation? Otherwise, that is just your opinion and no more correct than mine!

BTW - exceeding 40 m does not mean you are Tec diving - many recreational divers drop below 40 m and are still doing NDL dives.

I have to say, it really feels like you're trying not to understand these points and are just dead set on hating on the device.

I don’t hate the device at all - I just don’t get the 40m depth limit - can you point me to other dive computers on the market that stop working at 40m? So… not getting why this limit arbitrarily exists for the Ultra.

I don't feel like you're communicating in good faith when you purposefully seem to ignore some of these critical points.

And I don’t feel like you are communicating in good faith when you flat out lie/deny the existence of the asterisk on the 100m water resistance claim on Apple’s own product page!

I didn’t say it was a competitor to the Teric - was just responding to the post on Apple’s ability to build a water tight and pressure resistant watch…
It would be interesting for someone to examine, understand and explain the specific water proof rating that Apple advertises for this watch.

You mean like how literally every source that speaks about waterproof watches all mention that waterpoof-ness degrades over time as the gaskets and other seals wear down with age?

Seriously, waterproofing is never a permanent state. Not on apple watch, not on Suunto, not on Garmin, and not even on Shearwater. It just doesnt exist. Eventually wear and tear will cause a leak on the gasket.

There are well known dive computer designs that are waterproof and retain their full waterproofness over use and time.

I own multiple dive computers over 25 years old whose design maintains the original waterproofness. They cannot be flooded (well, except if you tried to cut them in half).

Waterproofing can be a permanent state. You just need to design that into the device.

Looking forward to hearing your impressions! When are you heading to Cozumel?
Next week 9/8. Received the watch, but the app hasn’t been released yet :/ hopefully soon. Depth and temp gauge is great and so easy to see and use!

Next week 9/8. Received the watch, but the app hasn’t been released yet :/ hopefully soon. Depth and temp gauge is great and so easy to see and use!

Have a great trip! Unfortunately I don't think you'll have the Oceanic+ app in time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom