Neoprene Mask Straps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shotthebreeze

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone uses a neoprene mask strap to make it easier to get your mask on and off without much fuss? I have shoulder length hair which tends to be a real pain when putting my mask on and taking it off, which is why I am wondering if I should purchase one before my OW class? Thanks for the input!

I use them exclusively and love them. I'm working on my Divemaster cert right now, and I often end up giving one of my masks to girls when doing pool work, because of the issues with their hair being caught up in the silicone mask straps. It's definetly one of the best recommendations I can make to anyoene with longer hair.

My wife uses only that since about '90 or so...Get one, I think you will enjoy it.....good luck in your OW classes, the fun is about to begin, diving fun that is......

I use a neoprene strap and love it (actually, a Marsoops strap, for reasons in addition to comfort).

On the other hand, my wife (fine, longer-than-shoulder-length hair) tried it. Hated it. Said the strap felt like it kept slipping off her head. So she switched back to her stock silicone strap.

So no accounting for tastes. A basic neoprene strap is cheap. Give it a try if you already know you don't like a silicone or rubber strap.

--Marek

I bought one immediately after doing the confined training. They slide on super easy.

For what it's worth, I love mine, and have put them on both of my masks, as well as the masks of my wife and daughter.

I bought one when I bought my mask, and I could not be happier with it. Admittedly, it can get washed up off the back of your head by a particularly back-of-the-head-washing giant stride, but that's why you keep a hand on your mask and reg, eh?

I have waist-length long hair, and those rubbery stock straps *HURT*!

I think this is a girl thing. My partner has long hair and thinks they're the best thing since sliced bread. (She's a way more experienced diver than me). Hope this helps.

edit Girl thing. I should have said long hair thing. No offence meant.... :)

anzac65:
edit Girl thing. I should have said long hair thing. No offence meant.... :)
Aww... now I don't get to use the fun smileys... :)light:) :D

I use them on all my masks. Work great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom