Powerful fins lighter than RK3?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alexis_tree

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

Wondering if there's a chart somewhere of the different fins?

I have a pair of Tusa split fins, but they don't work well with drysuit diving. (I got a neoprene drysuit so lots of additional weight.) On the shop's recommendation, I got RK3s, but they drag my feet down.

One solution is of course I can get trim weight pockets and put some weight on my shoulders.

But I was also wondering if there are fins with enough "push" that aren't so heavy? I also don't know if there are fins that are easier to frog kick with (or maybe my technique is just wrong)?

What is your current weight distribution? # kg, where it is, cylinder type, plate type, etc.

I currently have around 25 pounds. 5 pounds on backplate + STA. 8 on a weight belt and 12 on pockets attached to my BP (also around waist area). I was diving an HP80, and as high as it would go (bottom cam band was right on top of the boot).

I might be able to ditch one or two pounds if I stick with HP80, but want the option to use HP100 with my setup. In my drysuit class, the instructor clipped 4 pounds to my shoulders and that felt way better, trim wise.

with practice you can use the dry suit to put a bit of air in the feet ,it feels a bit odd but it works -the rk3 are on the light side but I dont think they have the forward thrust and power that the heavier fins do- have you could try a longer recreational fin that are light an will give you thrust but they aer a tad clumsy inside a wreck -ok for OW

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom