Neoprene Mask Straps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use this one: Mask Strap. It's by far the best I've found out there, it uses no velcro, and it's easy to adjust on the fly if need be.

I have one on all three of my masks. I'd hate to have to dive without one. IMHO they should be standard on all masks.

It's much easier to count divers without the neoprene mask straps here than to see how many are using them.

Most divers seem to automatically get one along with their mask.

I like them also, though i've had similar problems with the Velcro rubbing my ears raw, so I sewed 2 small neoprene sleeves to put over the velcro - PERFECT solution. I've also tried the newer styles that have nylon webbing straps instead of velcro - more comfortable, but they release MUCH too easily - I've had them release mid dive nearly every other dive... Either way however they are much better IMO than the rubber straps.

Aloha, Tim

kidspot:
I like them also, though i've had similar problems with the Velcro rubbing my ears raw, so I sewed 2 small neoprene sleeves to put over the velcro - PERFECT solution. I've also tried the newer styles that have nylon webbing straps instead of velcro - more comfortable, but they release MUCH too easily - I've had them release mid dive nearly every other dive... Either way however they are much better IMO than the rubber straps.

Aloha, Tim
I've seen two kinds with nylon webbing: Those with cam-buckles (like mini plastic weight belt buckles):
rp22clip.jpg

... and those with a simple triglide-type fastener:
ATL10236-2T.jpg

I like how easy the cam-buckle-style ones are to adjust and I've never had one pop open, but I have no problem believing it could happen. I've had both, and I prefer the simpler style. Neither has any velcro to rub anything raw, it's really not tough to change sizes (something I do VERY rarely since you never really dive hoodless in SoCal unless you're part polar bear). There are fewer failure points on the one without the buckles.

I like the one at scuba.com and it has velcro whic I perfer!

Hopping on the neoprene strap bandwagon :D

I too have fine hair so I put my hair in a ponytail low on my head so the strap has something to rest on top of. I seldom dive without my hood though so usually slippage is a non-issue.

The only problem I've seen with the ones that have the straps and cam buckles, etc. is difficulty attaching a snorkel. Some of my students who have smaller heads don't have much strap length between the mask and the neoprene so the cam/adjusting slide gets in the way of putting the snorkel on.
Ber :lilbunny:

Ber Rabbit:
Hopping on the neoprene strap bandwagon :D

I too have fine hair so I put my hair in a ponytail low on my head so the strap has something to rest on top of. I seldom dive without my hood though so usually slippage is a non-issue.

The only problem I've seen with the ones that have the straps and cam buckles, etc. is difficulty attaching a snorkel. Some of my students who have smaller heads don't have much strap length between the mask and the neoprene so the cam/adjusting slide gets in the way of putting the snorkel on.

A snorkel? I thought you were scuba diving? :D

Ber Rabbit:
Would I be struck by lightning if I jokingly responded, "That's the problem with those 'adjustable' mask harnesses. They should've gone with the hog!" :D

Note: Any deficiencies in the humor of this post are the sorry result of one of my cats having a hurling party in the middle of the night... and my misfortunate choice to step into my shoe without looking in it first. :eek: (Et tu, kitty?) They *told* me to beware the Ides of March! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom