need to buy new car - advice please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is the Ridgeline only produced in the US? Does Poland and the US not have a fair trade agreement?

mempilot:
How about Japan straight to Poland. :D
The government here in Poland has been constantly changing the automobile import tax and customs laws, to fiddle with the market... to encourage and then discourage the import of used cars, say. It may have settled down, now that Poland is in the EU -- Mania would probably be able to tell you better.

Hondas are pretty strange... a lot of them aren't made in Japan, nor are they standard worldwide. Like, North American Accords used to be made in Ohio, while European Accords were made in Britain... and there was nothing in common between the two. I don't know about the Japanese version.

And don't forget that Japan uses right-hand-drive...

--Marek

Marek K:
And don't forget that Japan uses right-hand-drive...

--Marek

Better not order a Brit Accord then! :D

My Land Rover was made in the UK, but was produced for the US marketplace with left hand drive.

OK. The world auto market is too complex. What cars are produced in Poland? :06:

aquaoren:
Hehe, you North American don't realize what the gas prices in Europe are. Very few people would buy pick ups in Europe and if, than only with a diesel engine.
You may get lynched by an evironmentalist mob for even showing up with such a gas gozzler. :wink:
Tha Accord would be the smarter car as it will have more space and be more fuel efficient.
Let's admit it, mostlikely the Accord will be able to go almost everywhere where the CRV would.
OTOH, a diesel pick up truck would be a nice vehicle for Scuba. :D
Four Euros a liter (litre), yeah, I know it's high, I may have been mistaken in assuming the Honda truck was a hybrid.

jonnythan:
Not with the Accord. She'd have to do that with the Ridgeline.
Oh, yeah... heh heh...

Ridgeline, pickup. Accord, not.

Hey, it's getting late here, and I've got a headache.

How would she ever get a U.S.-spec pickup, that's not on the European market, maintained here? Yet, I see people driving around all over Warsaw, with like five-year-old U.S.-spec Chevys and Fords on Polish plates. You can tell in a heartbeat by the parking lights that come on with the headlights, and the small rear license plate openings. How are those people getting these cars fixed? Corsicas and Tauruses weren't ever sold in this hemisphere...

--Marek

4 Euros per liter? Are you serious?

That can't be. It would cost $70 to fill up my car.

Hmm, Here's some questions to think about:

How far do you drive to dive? What are the road conditions? Are you going to use it for a 'daily driver' as well?

The Accord gets better gas mileage (kilometerage??) Have you compared the economy ratings? The US Accord gets about 26 miles/gallon in the city and 34 miles/gallon on the highway, while the CRV only gets 21 miles/gallon city and 25 miles/gallon highway. Sorry, I'm not going to convert that to liters/kilometer, since the Euro models probably have different engine options, so the numbers wouldn't mean anything anyway. But it illustrates that the highway economy is significantly different. How much will you use it in the city? On the highway? The Accord would also be more comfortable on long highway-speed trips, while the CRV would be better suited to rough roads/trails.

The Accord probably has more cargo area, but the CRV has a better suspension for carrying the weight. If you're carrying 12 tanks, the CRV suspension should hold up a lot better.

Also, the CRV would allow you to tow a small boat, should you ever be so inclined. I've seen people tow with wagons, but I wouldn't do it with a front-wheel drive, like the Accord. And the taller CRV would be less likely to get wet when you are backing a boat trailer into the water. Plus the 4X4 would be nice on a slippery boat ramp or shoreline.

Good luck in your decision.

mempilot:
What cars are produced in Poland?
Passenger cars? Just Daewoos these days, as far as I know. Quite a range of them, though the company has been in serious financial difficulty originating in Korea. They're exported a lot eastwards... to Ukraine and like that.

A lot of factories here produce sub-assemblies for major European car makers.

U.S. cars have a small but significant niche market here... Chrysler particularly. They're seen as exotic luxury cars.

Chevy has just started marketing cars here this year. But as far as I know they're made in Asia.

--Marek

jonnythan:
4 Euros per liter? Are you serious?

That can't be. It would cost $70 to fill up my car.
That can be. :D

Hey, gas prices here in Poland are pretty cheap compared to Western Europe. I just filled up my VR6 Passat on the way home from work; paid the equivalent of about $70 for just over 53 liters of 98 Euro-octane.

That translates to -- what -- about $5 per gallon?

--Marek

Marek K:
U.S. cars have a small but significant niche market here... Chrysler particularly. They're seen as exotic luxury cars.

Chevy has just started marketing cars here this year. But as far as I know they're made in Asia.

Chrysler makes the Jeep Liberty, and Chevy makes the Equinox. Are either of these available in Poland? They are both slight steps up from the CRV with a little more cargo room.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom