need to buy new car - advice please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hehe, you North American don't realize what the gas prices in Europe are. Very few people would buy pick ups in Europe and if, than only with a diesel engine.
You may get lynched by an evironmentalist mob for even showing up with such a gas gozzler. :wink:
Tha Accord would be the smarter car as it will have more space and be more fuel efficient.
Let's admit it, mostlikely the Accord will be able to go almost everywhere where the CRV would.
OTOH, a diesel pick up truck would be a nice vehicle for Scuba. Eventhough the selection would be fairly limited. I think Mitsubishi offered a nice pick up in diesel with an extended cabin when I was living in Germany. :D
I liked my VW Passat Variant in diesel though. Reliable, economic and took me everywhere i wanted.

Marek K:
Humungous import tariffs AFAIK... to keep people here from doing just that.

Wouldn't those tariffs be applicable to all Japanese cars? The Ridgeline, the Accord, and the CRV are all manufactured in Japan by Honda, are they not?

mempilot:
Wouldn't those tariffs be applicable to all Japanese cars? The Ridgeline, the Accord, and the CRV are all manufactured in Japan by Honda, are they not?
But she wouldn't be buying an Accord in the US and shipping it to Poland.

Are Accords made in Poland? Am I missing something? If the tariffs are different for imports from different countries, then the Accord must be imported from somewhere where that tariff is low. I'm assuming Japan. So, shouldn't other Honda products fit the same bill?

I'm assuming that it would cost a lot of money, and the gov't would slap on lots and lots of extra fees if one person tried to import a vehicle purchased from a foreign country that automakers don't have to deal with. Also, Honda has to pay to import to the US to begin with.. so into US *plus* into Poland..

jonnythan:
I'm assuming that it would cost a lot of money, and the gov't would slap on lots and lots of extra fees if one person tried to import a vehicle purchased from a foreign country that automakers don't have to deal with. Also, Honda has to pay to import to the US to begin with.. so into US *plus* into Poland..

How about Japan straight to Poland. :D

jonnythan:
But she wouldn't be buying an Accord in the US and shipping it to Poland.
I thought that was exactly what Firebrand was proposing...

Actually, when I was living in Germany, I'd heard about Germans who made their whole living from flying to Florida; buying a U.S.-spec car there, fully-loaded, for half the price they'd pay for the same car -- bare bones -- in Germany; shipping the car to Germany; pay customs; selling it, and still making a profit.

Maybe urban legend, but the price differential was substantial...

--Marek

Marek K:
I thought that was exactly what Firebrand was proposing...
Not with the Accord. She'd have to do that with the Ridgeline.

My brother does it the other direction. Buys the German car in Germany, and then has it shipped privately to the US. Most large auto manufacturers with high exports manufacture their cars to meet US EPA and crash worthiness requirements. They are pretty easy to get through Customs, and the money saved can be worth the trouble.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom